post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 06:01 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Re: LED Headlight Bulbs Review

Quote:
Supasta previously said: View Post
^^^ are there Hikari bulbs are “bolt on fit” for the FJ?

Dan
Yes, 10 minute install, if you stop to have lunch...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 06:06 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)

Quote:
Slonomo previously said: View Post
Aiming? Pattern? I don't know the proper way to test that, but at 15 feet away from my garage door, you can see the results. It looks like the passenger side light is adjusted much higher than the drivers side, not sure if it's supposed to be that way. The high beams look like the height is a little higher and the beams are concentrated more central, and brighter.

First photo is low, second is high, repeat.....
What do you all think?
You are probably blinding other drivers with the height of the beam. Left and right should be level and on low beam it should cut off short of other driver's windshields on a level road.

Hard to tell from the pictures what the actual light pattern looks like, but you should be able to turn the bulbs inside the housings slightly if you need to adjust the pattern.

As far as height, there is a slot on the side of each headlight housing where you can stick a long phillips screwdriver down there and turn it, which will raise or lower the headlight.

Here's an instructional video.
https://youtu.be/q044fOWydjA
bseegs likes this.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 07:02 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage

Not trying to rain on your parade but those bulbs are garbage. You pretty much eliminated the cut off line the reflector housing was designed for and its clearly visible in that daytime shot. Your LEDs are shining in the wrong part of the housing therefore blinding the hell out of everyone and you're not getting the best light output down the road. If you're going to get LED bulbs, get bulbs with LED chips that lineup with the halogen filament so it reflects correctly.

2007 FJC - E-locked Front and Rear - Overland Bound member #12409
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 07:07 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage

Here's an awesome comparison with generic vs quality LED bulbs.

2007 FJC - E-locked Front and Rear - Overland Bound member #12409
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
RDTCU previously said: View Post
You are probably blinding other drivers with the height of the beam. Left and right should be level and on low beam it should cut off short of other driver's windshields on a level road.

Hard to tell from the pictures what the actual light pattern looks like, but you should be able to turn the bulbs inside the housings slightly if you need to adjust the pattern.

As far as height, there is a slot on the side of each headlight housing where you can stick a long phillips screwdriver down there and turn it, which will raise or lower the headlight.

Here's an instructional video.
https://youtu.be/q044fOWydjA
Thanks for the info! I need to get a long philips screwdriver. I did find the spot, but my screwdrivers are too short. I appreciate the info and link to the video.

Also, on the "blinding" subject..... I have yet to get any flash signals from oncoming cars, so that's a good sign. But just in case I'll have my wife set up in front of me in her car and we'll check that out to see if there is any adjustment needed.
Supasta likes this.

2008 FJ Cruiser, Stock for now. Not a wheeler but will be.

Last edited by Slonomo; 03-21-2019 at 08:17 PM.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
007-FJC previously said: View Post
Not trying to rain on your parade but those bulbs are garbage. You pretty much eliminated the cut off line the reflector housing was designed for and its clearly visible in that daytime shot. Your LEDs are shining in the wrong part of the housing therefore blinding the hell out of everyone and you're not getting the best light output down the road. If you're going to get LED bulbs, get bulbs with LED chips that lineup with the halogen filament so it reflects correctly.

Never even gave that a thought. How do you know the led chips are aimed at the wrong spot?

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Supasta previously said: View Post
That's awesome!

Which bulbs did you get exactly?

I visited their mobile site earlier and like I said, it was terrible. However, now that I'm home, I checked out the full site on my laptop. There's a wide array of bulbs available. In line with the suckiness of the mobile site, the search function didn't have one hit for "FJ Cruiser" and the site doesn't seem to have the ability to tell a customer what bulb will fit their particular vehicle. Amateurs!!

I'm hoping their lack of sales sense if because they're all optical and lighting experts and their business acumen is their only shortfall.

I sent them a message asking what bulbs they recommend for my FJ. Let's see if they get back to me.

Dan

Hey Dan,

Thanks for reading and posting.

I got these on fleabay. Basically I searched "LED headlight bulb FJ Cruiser" and, well like you said, a lot of options came up. I am not about to spend $100, let alone $170, on chinese led's and be disappointed, so I went the other route and bought the cheap ones, $34 I think. I figured if they are better, cool. If not, oh well. I'd rather waste $34 then $100. And, IMO, these are better than the stock halogen bulbs.

I'm sure there are better options, but I think I did ok for my $34.

If you're looking for the seller, PM me and I'll give you the info.
Supasta likes this.

Last edited by Slonomo; 03-21-2019 at 08:14 PM.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)

So thanks for all the replies. I appreciate that people take time to read my posts.

For the record, I don't sell anything that I do write ups on. Nor do I get paid anything in the way of endorsements. I'm just your average Joe trying to make my FJ Cruiser a little bit better to drive, and I like to share my experiences. I do this for fun, and I enjoy the different threads people post here and find the forum to be helpful.

With regard to this particular thread.....my intent was to share my experience and my opinion. I never said this led bulb was fantastic. I never said this bulb was the best. I never said "run out and get yourself these bulbs". I never said "look at me, I'm a professional lighting expert".

With that said, please don't tell me what I did is "garbage", or "you're blinding the hell out of people". I think those kind of comments are amateur and unprofessional. If you have something to say, use some better intelligent vocabulary. Be creative in your posts. Be funny. Don't be negative, you only make yourself look bad.

Thanks for reading my post.

Slo
Supasta likes this.

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)

I used this video to help educate myself about auto headlamps. For years I was in the lighting industry, doing work installing different kinds of lighting fixtures, designing lighting systems, etc. There's a lot that goes into a light and how it projects it's light. There's voltage, wattage, amperage, photo-metrics, foot candles, lumens, lux, Kelvin, spot, flood, trapezoid, degrees of output, halogen, xenon, xelogen, incandescent, led, parabolic reflectors, mirror reflectors, direct and indirect, and so on, and so on. When I wanted to upgrade the lighting on my vehicles, I did research. The following video really helped me understand automotive headlamps. I hope this is also helpful to you.

Slo

https://youtu.be/DeaDrH0gXZk

Last edited by Slonomo; 03-21-2019 at 08:49 PM.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 09:09 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
007-FJC previously said: View Post
Here's an awesome comparison with generic vs quality LED bulbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4du3JRoavJg
So this is just a video trying to sell me a super nova bulb. It doesn't tell me why they're better than any other bulb. they sound nice, buy why do I want them over something else?
Slonomo likes this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical > Lighting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in