How To: 2011 Oil Change - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Maintenance Tech This forum is for discussion of all aspects of maintenance that should be performed on the FJ Cruiser to keep it operating at maximum efficiency.

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 249 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: How To: 2011 Oil Change

Quote:
cody.curan previously said: View Post
Had no idea they changed the set up! that sucks. They set up they have on prev years is perfect!
I agree with both statements. I have done my firs 1500 oil change and for 20 years of doing this my self it was the worst experience. You have no way to avoid some mess and it takes much more effort. Who in right mind could create a design to remove a skid plate every oil change? I did not see cartridge-type filter design at least 50 years. When I did my oil change, I felt like I went back to 50-th on a Time Machine!

I do not like it not only because of this. Most important, in my opinion, this design does not allow reliable sealing between filter and housing. Seal surface on the filter is quite hard and thin, and may be not perfectly flat and parallel to the housing surface, meaning some oil will bypass filter. Also, if you have small metal particles in the cup, it is nearly impossible to clean. I can not imagine any oil change stations thech or dialer would do this. This design definitely offers less protection to the filter including, that low positioned filter is not good for off-roaders, and can be damaged even behind not very strong stock skid plate on a trail.

I was completely sold on Toyota's perfect top spin-on oil filter design. If I new they changed it to buttom cartridge, I would think many times whether to buy 2009 model is a better option. Now I already decided use only TRD Oil filters. It has better, more rigid construction with frame and much better, thicker O-rings from red silicon to seal gap between filter and housing.

I already told my opinion to my dealer, but I think it will stay there. I really would like Toyota to know how we all (owners and I think Thechs as well) not happy about this change.

Last edited by 2011FJinCA; 03-29-2011 at 11:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 249 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 08:16 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
FJ Florida previously said: View Post
Moderator, I am sure a lot of people over the next year buying 2011 FJ's will want to access this information. Can it be made into a sticky or something?

The rest of the pics are attached.

If you are in a pinch and temporarily unable to get a genuine Toyota filter for some reason, WIX 57173 seems to be decent quality (filter material seems not as thick, but has about 8 more pleats than Toyota) and it fits until you can get a genuine Toyota filter.

-FJ Florida-
To add, I just replaced my oil for the first time on my 2011. Instructions came in handy, thanks FJ Florida. I've changed cartridge style filters before, so it wasn't to difficult.

I used the following TRD filter (PT# PTR43-00079) instead of the stock filter, $15 at the dealer along withe 6.4q of 0-20W Mobile 1. The engine oil was fairly dirty, but I also live in Arizona; so much more dust... Did not see any metal shavings on the old filter.

The nice thing about the TRD filter, it came with some nice instructions for TQ specs and steps for filter replacement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-04-03_15-51-23_52.jpg
Views:	2000
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	41915   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-04-03_15-51-44_351.jpg
Views:	1949
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	41916  
Attached Images

Iceberg 2011 FJC

Build Thread:
The White Sherpa

Amsoil for all Fluids
CactusMotorsLLC

post #13 of 249 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 09:53 PM
Forum Superstar

As far as early initial oil changes, I would want to see more early used oil analysis before forming an opinion. My '04 Prius, I left the oil in until 5,000 km and it sampled fine.

With my '07 FJ, I was a bit surprised with such new technology, the oil was shot at only 2,500 km. TBN was 0, oil had sheared to a 20 weight, nitration and oxidation was sky high

So I changed it

Toyota has claimed to have changed the motor with the +2010 FJ's. Not sure what it involves, but one thing that would make me stay away is the PITA cartridge oil filter.

I can do an oil change on my FJ in 5 minutes. Almost too easy, certainly the easiest oil change with the exception of that 2000 GMC Sierra with Vortec 5.3 I used to have

Mind you, that GMC burned so much oil from new an oil change was a moot point

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser 5AT "C" package, Sun Fusion
2012 Chevy Impala LS, beige, 3.6 direct injected V6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 249 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 09:57 PM
Forum Master

Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Took me less than 45 minutes to change my oil/filter. My first oil change was at 5K, did not do the 1,200 change like most; did not think it was necessary since the car uses synthetic..

Iceberg 2011 FJC

Build Thread:
The White Sherpa

Amsoil for all Fluids
CactusMotorsLLC

post #15 of 249 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Have they increased the oil capacity in the 2010-11s to 6.4 quart?

Nice that they have an extra qt of oil in there! My 08 takes 5.4 qt.

We're here for a good time not a long time.
post #16 of 249 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Location: Stuck on a sandbar known as Florida in the middle of the freaking ocean.
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Nico previously said: View Post
Have they increased the oil capacity in the 2010-11s to 6.4 quart?
2011 drinks 6.4 quarts.

-FJ Florida-
post #17 of 249 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Location: Stuck on a sandbar known as Florida in the middle of the freaking ocean.
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
AZFJ25 previously said: View Post
I used the following TRD filter (PT# PTR43-00079) instead of the stock filter, $15 at the dealer along with 6.4q of 0-20W Mobile 1.
In the picture, it looks like the primary differences are metal end caps and an extra seal and different filter media. Any other major differences?

I wonder if we ALL should be using this filter. Shouldn't we all be using the best?

-FJ Florida-
post #18 of 249 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

yes the 2010 and 2011 fj's engines take 6.4 quarts of oil and came factory filled with 0 W20 Synthetic oil.i love the mighty sound of the engine in the morning.does the 2008 fj's run on Premium gas? the 10's and 11's run on regular,plenty of take off power,so far no complians on my 2011 fj.i love the handling the power,not so much on the gas i get 16 mpg overrall city and highway.love to hear other's comment on their fj
post #19 of 249 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
MySilver2011Fj previously said: View Post
I love the mighty sound of the engine in the morning.
So do I as it roars to life.

Quote:
MySilver2011Fj previously said: View Post
Does the 2008 fj's run on Premium gas? The 10's and 11's run on regular,plenty of take off power, so far no complians on my 2011 fj.
I read an article somewhere (maybe here) that the FJ has never required premium gas. It was explained like this in what I read: a "research" octane of at least 92 was specified by Toyota.

There are two octane ratings, research octane and motor octane, with research octane being the higher of the two by about 10. We average together the two numbers to get the octane rating that we see on the pump (R+M/2). So, 87 octane was fine according to this article that I read.

Toyota finally updated their statement to stop the confusion. Personally I am using 89 because I seem to get a bit more mileage out of it.

By the way, I found out that all gasolines are not created equal, contrary to what I always had been told. I'll post a new thread on that. In my city, Toyota/Lexus only recognizes 4 brands of gas as "top tier" to prevent deposits, and they aren't who I expected.

-FJ Florida-

Last edited by FJ Florida; 04-04-2011 at 06:45 PM.
post #20 of 249 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 06:44 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Great write up! Already done 3 oil changes on 2010, couldn`t have said it better. Well done sir!

By the way, did you lose that oil pan cover on the factory engine skid? I threw it away lol

2010 FJC AG 6MT
2005 4Runner SE

My build..slow but consistent

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...6mt-build.html

www.fjnortheasters.org

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Maintenance Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in