Idler Pulley/Bearing Failure, what to do: - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Maintenance Tech This forum is for discussion of all aspects of maintenance that should be performed on the FJ Cruiser to keep it operating at maximum efficiency.

39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 204 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 10:08 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Idler Pulley/Bearing Failure, what to do:

Hi all
Just to get it clear to me ,i have just ordered the 3 bearings from rock auto

Two Upper Pulleys (#2): 36173 Product Detail Page
One Lower Pulley (#1): 36174 Product Detail Page
Tensioner: 38411
WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS are they the right size on the inside or do i need to put a sleeve,if i do what the best way to do it .

Yes got sea water and sand in them !! mybe they better put NOT WATER PROOF on the car some where see how meny the sell then (i love my fj but man thats dum)

the way is the other way !
PERRY
www.airstreameurope.com
voodoo blue baja roof rack, full skid plates 8mm gear seat covers c b & vhf radio back lights protection 12v outlet back for fridge, rock sliders tow step duel battery set up solar panel, roof tent, hi lift jack, terratrip rally meter, globe gps 800 protection shockers, ironman back and side awning converter 240v vision x led long bar engel fridge 40lt +slider Asfir bumper comeup winch 9.5 rs ARB twin air compresseur l
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 204 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 02:40 AM
Forum Regular

Garage
Thumbs up Re: Idler Pulley/Bearing Failure, what to do:

Quote:
mattyrides07 previously said: View Post
I have an '08 and the new pulleys were the right size (no adjustments needed). It was a very straight-forward process following his directions. The only real pain (for me) was getting to the bolts on the AC compressor.

Hi
thanks for that is good to know ,my bearings went bad a long way from home so i found one bearing and the other two i cleaned up and put grease inside by pulling back the cover and pushing the grease with a pin ,put them back and got 1500km back to home .mybe good to know too .

PERRY
www.airstreameurope.com
voodoo blue baja roof rack, full skid plates 8mm gear seat covers c b & vhf radio back lights protection 12v outlet back for fridge, rock sliders tow step duel battery set up solar panel, roof tent, hi lift jack, terratrip rally meter, globe gps 800 protection shockers, ironman back and side awning converter 240v vision x led long bar engel fridge 40lt +slider Asfir bumper comeup winch 9.5 rs ARB twin air compresseur l
post #23 of 204 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 03:20 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Are the compressor and alternator removed to allow access to the bottom pulley? Great thread! I am going to be replacing mine soon, i was not sure if it is possible to get to the bottom without removing the compressor/alternator. I was curious as to why the alternator/compressor needed to be removed. Mine is making a very faint sound so, I will try to determine which pulley it is, I suspect it may be one of the top pulleys, those look to be easy enough to change.

Chris
07 FJ Voodoo Blue + ARB roof rack

Last edited by chris410; 01-30-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 204 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 07:54 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
mattyrides07 previously said: View Post
Yeah. The compressor is literally bolted against the idler assembly. You HAVE to remove the compressor BOLTS and then you can leave the compressor dangling (off to the side) to replace the idler assembly. The compressor bolts are a MAJOR PITA!
Got it thanks! I'm going to start with the three pulleys and go from there. What is odd is that mine do not make noise often, once in a while. After reading this thread, I figure I may as well replace the pulleys to be on the safe side.

Thanks again for the response!

Chris
07 FJ Voodoo Blue + ARB roof rack
post #25 of 204 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 06:25 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 73 Post(s)

Alright, I have all the parts from RockAuto listed above. Removing the belt tensioner assembly seems like a PITA. My question is, can I just swap the pulley from the Gates #38411 onto the oem belt tensioner assembly?
post #26 of 204 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 12:00 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Yes, you only needed the pulley, not the mounting bracket.

DEWFPO

2007 FJ, 5AT, Sun Fusion Yellow, CQ, UP, GY, RB, 2Q, EL, VS.

Engine Block Heater, '08 Cyclone Pre-Filter, Dual horns, Phillips Osram 70W/65W H4's, RockBlocker and 3M Clear Film, Toyota RearSight Backup Camera, Ultra-Gauge MX 1.3.

"Enjoying the Journey"

"Wanted - young, skinny, wiry fellows, not over 18. Must be expert riders willing to risk death daily. Orphans preferred"
Original newspaper add placed by William Hepburn Russell, founder of the The Pony Express
post #27 of 204 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 07:53 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I have an 07 with 90k and I'm thinking about changing the serpentine belt (still the original), pulleys, water pump, and alternator, I don't have any issues or weird sounds coming from the engine, what do yall recommend?
post #28 of 204 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 10:00 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
2007FJ89 previously said: View Post
I have an 07 with 90k and I'm thinking about changing the serpentine belt (still the original), pulleys, water pump, and alternator, I don't have any issues or weird sounds coming from the engine, what do yall recommend?
Do you drive thru very deep water or mud?

If you don't have any of the typical squealing noises, then I would just replace the belt. When you have the belt off, check each of the pulleys including the water pump and alternator for smooth movement, no wobble or any unusual noises. If all is well, install the new belt and be on your way. If one of the pulleys is going bad, replace all 4. I wouldn't touch the water pump or alternator unless you are having obvious problems. They are not typical maintenance items.

DEWFPO
Sanderhawk likes this.

2007 FJ, 5AT, Sun Fusion Yellow, CQ, UP, GY, RB, 2Q, EL, VS.

Engine Block Heater, '08 Cyclone Pre-Filter, Dual horns, Phillips Osram 70W/65W H4's, RockBlocker and 3M Clear Film, Toyota RearSight Backup Camera, Ultra-Gauge MX 1.3.

"Enjoying the Journey"

"Wanted - young, skinny, wiry fellows, not over 18. Must be expert riders willing to risk death daily. Orphans preferred"
Original newspaper add placed by William Hepburn Russell, founder of the The Pony Express
post #29 of 204 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 12:05 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
2007FJ89 previously said: View Post
Just change the belt, but don't buy the new one from Toyota. They charge like $90 plus shipping for an FJ belt. You can get an excellent Gates belt which is as good or better than the Toyota one at the amazon link below for 1/3 the money or check your local parts store.
http://www.amazon.com/Gates-K070834-Multi-V-Groove-Belt/dp/B000C2SJNQ/ref=au_as_r?ie=UTF8&Make=Toyota%7C76&Model=FJ%20Cruiser%7C2850&Year=2007%7C2007&carId=001&n=15684181&newCar=1&s=automotive&vehicleType=automotive

Please Donate to http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
コンスタンティン I don't argue with Idiots. You can't fix stupid
post #30 of 204 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 12:47 PM
Forum Regular

Garage

Hi there

well if your thinking of going in deep water then good to put water proof ones in !!! the one you have in now are not thats sure !!

PERRY
www.airstreameurope.com

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Maintenance Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in