Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Fuel Injector Cleaner?

29K views 37 replies 22 participants last post by  t0ked 
#1 ·
Anyone use fuel injector cleaner in their gas tank? If so, how often?

Always did this every other oil change on my Jeep.

#3 ·
I run 1 bottle of Techron in the tank about once a year (every 12-15K miles).

DEWFPO

#7 ·
What about the STP brands?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#8 ·
The only stuff proven to work is PAO (techron) The funny thing is Chevron no longer includes this material in their techron additives. BG 44k stopped using it 7 years ago, and I don't believe Gumout still adds it.

The only additive that I know of that includes PAO is Redline SI-1.
44k used to be about 70% PAO back when it worked, now it's just another light aromatic solvent like most of the others.

#12 · (Edited)
Ain't that a bummer! Is it listed on the MSDS?

Is this the additive: PolyEther Amine

From the Redline MSDS:
PRODUCT TRADE NAME: RED LINE SI-1
PRODUCT TYPE: Gasoline fuel injector cleaner and valve detergent
REVISION DATE: March 18, 2011
CHEMICAL NAME: Mixture__________
This material does not contain any chemical listed as a carcinogen or potential carcinogen by OSHA, IARC
Monographs, or National Toxicology program at a concentration > 0.1%.
30 - 50% PolyEther Amine
5-20% Aliphatic Naphtha - TWA - 100 ppm - CAS # 64742-88-7

Here is the Techron:
SECTION 2 COMPOSITION/ INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
COMPONENTS CAS NUMBER AMOUNT
Distillates, hydrotreated light 64742-47-8 40 - 70 %weight
Stoddard solvent 8052-41-3 15 - 40 %weight
Solvent naphtha (petroleum), light aromatic 64742-95-6 5 - 10 %weight
Benzene, 1,2,4-trimethyl- 95-63-6 1 - 5 %weight

#9 ·
I throw in a bottle of Berrymans B12 every 5k or so.

#11 ·
Well I do always use Shell..

#14 ·
I use STP for peace of mind every now and then. When I rolled my 7,700 mile AK run, I used 4 bottles.

#16 ·
^^^^ Ummm you've heard of Techron (Chevron), Nitrogen-Enriched (Shell) and regular old Ethanol (76) haven't you? thats all "top tier" fuel and thus "proven" to clean.

stick with the name brands and you'll get all the detergents you need in your fuel and not have to worry about spending extra $$$$ on injector cleaner. here read this: Top Tier Gasoline

#17 · (Edited)
PEA was developed by Chevon and they named it "techron" when it was proven to work, others started using it (polyether amine)

Over the last 7-8 years it has been removed from all of those products you buy off the shelf except Redline, including products Chevron markets as "Techron"

lqdchk I always use top tier fuel, but I don't believe gasoline detergents alone will leave my fuel sytem clean.

#20 ·
lqdchk I always use top tier fuel, but I don't believe gasoline detergents alone will leave my fuel sytem clean.
You must know more about vehicle fuel systems then BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen and Audi then cause they seem to believe it will. Otherwise they wouldn't have created Top Tier fuel recommendations.

But whatever feel free to keep spending your $3 to $15 a pint on fuel system cleaner, if it makes you feel good. Personally I'd rather waste that money on Starbucks. LOL :cheers:

#19 ·
I have never used the stuff except for extremely high mileage when I was noticing a performance issue. Then it was the actual BG-fuel system flush setup, not just stuff you dump in your fuel. If you run good gas,(use stations that have high volume and the fuel doesnt just set in the tanks) change your fuel filter as req. your wasting your money using that stuff. :bigthumb:

#29 ·
I am no fuel system genius, but I know that my previous truck didn't start having any problems until I started running fuel system cleaner. Coincidence? IDK, but I'm not going to risk it.

#30 ·
I use Seafoam...Advance and Autozone carry it. Best by far IMHO, been using it for yrs and It works. Talk to any mechanic and ask them what 10% E-85 does to two stroke boat and chainsaw engines...besides the fact that you have to change the fuel lines from what this stuff does. I have tried many different products over the yrs. I used STP fuel system cleaner in my new Hyundai because I could not find the Seafoam...to my surprise it fugged up my emmission system and set off codes on the dash. Had to take it to the dealer and have them cleared!!!

#32 ·
Talk to any mechanic and ask them what 10% E-85 does to two stroke boat and chainsaw engines...and have them cleared!!!
FJ's don't have 2 stroke motors so I dont see how that would even be a good comparison.

#33 ·
Toyota and Lexus say that if you use Ethanol (E-15), your warranty is void.
Boys and Girls, they say that for a reason, namely Ethanol is a CORROSIVE.
Its one of the biggest ongoing scams ever perpetrated on the public. I would rather they just stole the money outright in additional taxes, than force me to put it in my gas tank.

Do your own research and learn, it has absolutely no redeeming value, to the contrary its harmful.

#34 ·
^^^^^^ X2

Ethanol is a huge scam!!! It will damage your fuel system and causes greater environmental damage than leaded gas ever did. The iceholes in DC were paid off by ethanol industry lobbyists and the tree-hugger community knows it full well but will not say anything about it because they started the ethanol craze. The tofu crowd are way too embarrassed now to admit they were wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.