Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Engine bay

4K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  WaJohnZ 
#1 ·
What is the best way to clean the engine bay? By clean I mean get all the mud off the engine and all the sounding area!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#2 ·
soap and water????
Jax':wave:

#4 ·
I vote trade it in for a new one.

#14 ·
X2 :lol:

#5 ·
I brought mine into the dealership a while back and asked them. One of the guys told me "i can power wash all that dust out of there for you if you want". I asked him about it and he told me it's fine as long as the car is on. I took him at his word and let him.

#6 ·
Cleaned mine this past weekend as it was full of mud. Little bit of diluted simple green sprayed on a warm (not hot!) motor. Used a brush with fairly soft bristles to agitate the dirt in a few places, then used a garden hose with nozzle to spray down the entire engine bay paying attention to the fuse box and electronics so they don't get a direct stream of water. Had to wash it twice since it was so filthy but it worked great and started right up afterwards! Good luck!

#7 ·
engine cleaner/engine shine. or simple green. hose it off.

some products want a warm engine some want a cold engine.

#11 ·
For a quick rinse, I use the powerwasher wand at the car wash without holding the trigger down....just the low flow that comes out of the wand without engaging it....

For a deep clean, I do the same with simple green. Just don't spray directly on the plugs, etc. general light spraying :rocker:

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#12 ·
I pressure washed mine at the carwash :shrug03:

#15 ·
1 more vote for garden hose and simple green. I'd say do it on a cold engine as spraying cold (that ever the hose temp is) water on a hot-ish engine could be really bad for you, seen (or rather heard then seen) it happen a couple times :(

#18 ·
I also like to spray the underside of the hood to get rid of salt and mud :rocker:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#19 ·
My favorite way is to use some wheel cleaner. I get the kind that is PH balanced so not to harm any finishes. This is especially nice on the underside of the hood. I usually do it at the DIY car wash bays. Then I use the spray soap and go over it, and finally a nice rinse.
Dont go drying it off before starting it....the fan will blow all the water from the shroud back on everything... start it, and possibly go around the block, then come back and towel as much off as you can... will look great!

#21 ·
I am a bit surprised no one has said Castrol Super Clean in the Purple jug... I have used this on a ton of things with good results, depending on how dirty,or oily you can dilute with water if needed. I have used it on my snowmobiles full strength and on mountain bikes where you cannot use a powerful water spray with no damage to paint or plastics. I have also cleaned grease spots from carpet,brake dust from wheels and tires... One of my go to cleaner products for most things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.