Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

BRAKES different point of view???

8K views 48 replies 18 participants last post by  abahn 
#1 ·
I have about 50K on my FJ and its really time for front pads to be replaced. not even looking into the brand at this time, but at the proper procedure while doing front (or rear) brake pads change. Usually, I change the pads myself, run to the local machine shop to resurface rotors (if still within the specs), than reinstall all together with new pads. However, today I was surpised by mechanic in the local car shop when he said that my rotors do not need any job. He continue that with my semimetalic pads resurfacing is not needed with rotors condition like mine. I took my car, just because of curiosity, and went to another shop (well known for high end car and collectibles repairs) and after spending one hour and $30 fee charge I had almost the same opinion (except, that any good quality pads would work with my rotors with no need for turning the rotors down). any thoughts on that? any opinion counts...:cheers:

#44 ·
I was quoted a lot more than that. I ended up ordering powerstop drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads from rockauto. Checked out other options but I got these for a little over $400 delivered to Yellowknife for the whole set.

I changed the front rotors and pads in about an hour. I can't give much of a review because I didn't drive much since I replaced them but they work.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#47 ·
Maybe that's what it was... I had a discount too so it wasn't too bad. I've read the horrors of drilled and slotted too but figured I don't really abuse my brakes, just lots of stop and go around town.

I am getting a little heavy so I guess I was just curious to see how they performed, had a friend with a Cherokee who said they made a noticeable difference in stopping power.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#48 ·
as many different rotors and pads are on the market you will get at list half of that of different opinions, and same with drilled vs solid rotors. I have changed/switched to drilled and slotted and I am pleased how they perform. they nothing special, or top shelf I should say, but I drive lots of dirt roads with mud , sand, you name it, and have no problem with stopping. sure, I don't live where you do, but still my driving is not strictly pawed roads and I tow a trailer (not heavy).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.