Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Amsoil News

4K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  51062 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Most of the bulletins like this from AMSOIL are driven by scare tactics from other oil manufacturers, car dealerships and the "lubricantly uneducated". We had to launch an entire series on "Warranty Secure" because so many people were being told that the use of AMSOIL would void your vehicle warranty. You have to face the fact that your average consumer isn't as up on this kind of knowledge as vehicle enthusiasts (like FJ owners) are.

#4 ·
Kinda freaked me out that Amsoil is claiming that you can not mix their ATF with Yota`s ATF...
I`m pretty sure a few members here did just that, dumped what was in the pan and added approx 4 quarts at a time during a few intervals...

Now I`m second guessing if the stealership should just do a complete drain n fill... argh...

#10 ·
what exactly is common sense here bro???

anytime you mix Amsoil with lets say M1, you degrade the OCI by that margin, if you could even guess what that would be.

even if you mixed Amsoil with the s h i t y e s t synthetic on the market, it would still work well.

Now the trans fluid, quite a few here on the forum swapped out old original WS fluid for 4 quarts of redline, and then 4 qts of redline and then 4 qts of redline again. you don`t have to agree with this method, I`m just saying that people here have mixed fluids with no ill results, well at least not that we are aware of...

I do not see any reason why you couldn`t use Amsoil if it were still mixed with a bit of WS. I don`t think any shop would take the time to do a full fluid swap intelligently bc it would cost time. They would want to do it in the quickest amount of time with the largest profit margin...

the only way to beat it is to do it yourself given you could do the job effectively...

I tend to think, this is a blanket statement to cover their butts as Nick stated...

:cheers:

#13 ·
ATF has very different requirements. You could put water in a hydraulic system and it would still work that doesn't mean its good for it. Some grades will cover prior grades. You can mix brand names but not grades. With an oil analysis you can tell what's in there and what's missing.
I have a fleet of 2000 units and stock 6 different barrels of ATF... trust me, they're all different.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#15 ·
Automatic transmission fluids offer a perfect example. Some transmissions require lubricants that contain specific frictional characteristics to reduce or eliminate clutch slippage, while other transmissions may require different frictional requirements. Mixing fluids recommended for different performance specifications may lead to a host of problems, including erratic shifting and transmission failure.
The way I read this is don't mix different types of transmission fluid, such as Amsoil's Fuel-Efficient (for the FJ) and Multi-Vehicle (not for the FJ) ATF. But if you're adding the Fuel-Efficient to the FJ, which already has that type (WS) installed you should be fine, you just won't see all the benefits of the Amsoil Signature Series ATF. So I'd say those that have done a partial drain and fill with the correct type of fluid, just a different brand, should be ok. It's not recommend, but I don't think it'll cause an issue. However using the Multi-Vehicle in the FJ would potentially cause a problem.

#16 · (Edited)
The simple fact is this;

1. The newer the vehicle the MORE sensitive it is to the lubricants you use.
For example. BMW(because I own one) but pretty much most german cars, from the factory it runs whatever Spec from the factory. If you change the oil to something else you have to completely drain the system. Reason being some of the oil injection ports and pathways are so tiny and small that even just switching brands is enough to clog them and eventually cause damage. I wouldn't know because of my motor going bad because of oil issues. You guys have to remember that even the same weight and viscosity oil doesn't mean its the same even when switching brands. There is ALOT of chemical additives to oils that they don't tell you about. some brands have more, some have less, some have cleaning properties, some just do their job. Thats why Rotella and mobil 1 and what not use to be great oils to run in new engines because of their zinc content. That has since changed.

2. This also applies for any mechanical equipment. I work in the nuclear field and we deal with so many tight tolerances with pumps,motors, and valves that we can't afford to half ass anything or something will happen to cause a trip. Even down to the oil. I understand this is going a little extreme but the more care you give your vehicle the first time the longer it will last.

3. Amsoil is also just putting out this statement to cover their ass, does not mean their oil will jack your car up. All of their oils are premium oils and are designed to work the way they engineered it and thats not with half ass walmart oil.

Our trucks are designed from the factory to run on premium Full Synthetic oil so you should continue to use Premium oil.

Just my observation, not trying to argue with anybody. My personal experience says there is a difference and thats why its common sense to me I guess.

#18 ·
So....is it safe to have the dealer do a flush and refill with Amsoil? I have changed all my other fluids to Amsoil and hoped to do the same with the transmission. The dealer will charge $129.00 to do a flush and refill with their WS fluid. Just the Amsoil fluid alone is about $170.00. Is there a noticable improvement by doing so or is it a waste of money?

#19 ·
sounds to me like you need to become your own Amsoil dealer and cut some money off that $170

Its safe for them to do it if you have a reputable dealer. that's for you to decide. I like my dealer and have an outstanding reputation.

Regardless...It will not be 100% amsoil for quite a few fluid changes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.