Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

36k/5 years - should I start changing parts?

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Cashnutz73 
#1 ·
I just turned 36k miles on my 2008 FJ - so it's 5 years old.

The only thing that I've had to replace besides air filters, cabin filters, oil filters and oil has been the battery which finally gave up the ghost a few months ago.

I already swapped out the diff and T case fluids to Mobil 1 synthetic a couple years ago.

Seeing that my truck is 5 years old should I do a preemptive strike and change out the serpentine belt, radiator hoses and heater hoses? They look OK but having read horror stories here on the forum about people breaking belts and warping their heads, well, I don't want to end up in the same situation.

While I'm at it should I change my antifreeze?

I'm switching my oil to Amsoil with an Amsoil filter from TRD filters and Castrol Syntec. I'm getting lazy in my old age and figure for the 6,000 to 7,000 miles I drive per year I can get away with the 12 month oil change interval with Amsoil.

What say you all?

See less See more
#3 ·
You can inspect the belt for any cracks , but as said not expensive so you could replace. You may want to check and or replace your brake fluid, it absobs water and gets contaminated it should look like apple juice if it is black or discolored I would change it... But 36000 is low milage you should be good to go for a long time yet

#6 ·
was going to change the brake fluid but i checked and it is fine. used this Brake Fluid Tester : Amazon.com : Automotive
That is a horrible tool, we bleed the brakes on the race cars after every event which is sometimes once a week. You would not imagine how dark and black the fluid that is down in the calipers is compared to what is in the reservoir. The fluid does circulate through the system and I would bleed my brakes at least once a year in a street car even if it just three or so pumps of the pedal. It will also keep your bleeders from becoming seized and breaking off when you do have to do it.

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks all - Spent the morning today changing the oil and filter (Amsoil Signature 5W30 and M1 filter), greased the zerks, replaced the air filter (cleaned the throttle body and MAF sensor when I changed the spark plugs at 30k) and changed the rear diff fluid. Used M1 75w90 synthetic gear oil again.

Belts, brake fluid and coolant all looking good. The majority of my miles (85%) are all on highway (like interstate highway type) driving so everything seems to be holding up well.

#7 ·
Belt. Mine ran me $35 and it was a quality national brand. I can't remember which. I had one come off of my '93 Chevy pickup and did over $500 worth of damage to the compressor. I know of a couple guys that have had them go out on the FJ and it can be ugly when it does. Check the tension pulley as well as the idler pulleys to make sure they spin freely when the belt is off. Find a belt diagram on the internet for the FJ. The route for the FJ is a little complicated compared to most I have dealt with.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.