Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Holy Crap! Extended Warranty

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  McAwesome 
#1 ·
There are lots of threads about the pros and cons of buying extended warranties. I am going to share what happened today.

I drive an 07FJC with only 25k miles on it. I'm the original owner and for about 5 years out of the 6+ years I've had the car, I just drove it to the train station and back home, about 1.5 miles per day.

One week before the car's 3rd birthday, it only had about 12k miles. I bought an extended warranty from Lafontaine Toyota thru a contact I made in this forum. I paid $760 for an 8 year, 75k warranty, with 0 deductible. I had read a lot here about not needing it, but since my car had such low miles, I knew I was going to keep it a long time.

Today I took the car to my local dealer for service. I never do take it dealers, but since I had the seat-belt anchor recall to take care of, I did today.

When I picked it up, the service advisor told me they found an oil leak in the upper oil pan, and they fixed it free of charge because of the extended warranty. When I pick up the bill, the charge on it was $1152.32!

WTF kind of repair cost is that for an oil leak in the upper oil pan?!?

BTW: the charge they show for the seat belt recall was $413.28, which of course I didn't pay for.

My oil change was $24.95! That's all I paid today!:rofl::clap:

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like you made a sound investment by buying the warranty. It doesn't take many repairs these days to more than pay for the cost of the warranty!

cheers,

dale

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.