Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Gnarly noise from front end = wheel bearing

15K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  dexterdog 
#1 ·
I have noticed some occasional noises from the front recently, has become more dramatic in the last few days. Most noticable at low speeds, just starting out or making a slow turn. Forward and reverse. Seems to be rotational(proportional to speed). Heres a video showing the sound - starts about 5 seconds in.

I got underneath today - visually things looked fine. No torn boots or leaks. I dropped the factory engine skid because it was pretty mashed up and looked like it was in contact with front diff - potential for vibration. That didn't change anything. It only does it when I'm moving and I checked to make sure it's not rattling heat shields. I've got the stuff to do a front diff oil change tonight. If that doesn't work I think I'll have to take it to the dealer:(

#2 ·
leave the skid off and drive it around. does it still make the sound.

#3 ·
Video was taken with skid removed. Leaving it off until this is resolved.

#4 ·
Check the brakes... dust shields, rear e-brake drum, etc.

Good luck.
:cheers:

#5 ·
That sounds very similar to when I got a rock stuck in the brake shield. It was just big enough to not slip out on its own and would only make noise occasionally when hitting small imperfections.

May have nothing to do with your issue, but it is worth a quick look and feel.

#7 · (Edited)
That sounds very similar to when I got a rock stuck in the brake shield.
Interesting theory. It sounded good since the metallic noise is pretty thin and sharp so the thin sheet metal dust shield seemed like a possible match. I don't have the ability to pull the tires and brake rotors here at my apartment so I just got underneath and pulled the shields away from the rotors as best I could to see if anything fell out. Nothing did. See belows troubleshooting which disproves this theory though.

Hard to hear with background sound but Possible universal joint noise , what happens if you keep your foot on the brake put in gear forward and reverse apply a bit of throttle, if you get a clinking creaking sound that can be a sign of the drive shaft universal joints. also check under and make sure a piece of wire or light cable has not gotten wrapped around any of the shafts.
Nothing wrapped around shafts. I just did an oil change and greased the zerks this weekend. I tried out your idea though. Basically power braking to load and unload the driveshaft without actually moving. I did this inside the parking garage. It was hard to hear anything over the engine revving but I would definitely hear some of these noises for several seconds after letting off the gas. So that gives some credibility to your theory. The only thing that threw me off is the noises were most severe as I was turning back into my parking space.
Early testing in the garage had me hearing the sound more from the passenger side. If it is indeed the driveshaft, maybe that's because the gas tank is blocking/deflecting the noise that direction.

So IF the noise is indeed coming from the driveshaft...
-What's wrong with it?
-I've been greasing the zerks along with my oil changes for the last 80k miles.
-U joints get filled until clean grease comes out. Then cleaned up.
-Slip yokes get 2 pumps.
-Is it possible a slip has become too full and that's causing this noise?

Anyway to confirm or reject the driveshaft other than removing it?
I have an 4wd Automatic... the front shaft doesn't spin unless I'm in 4wd right?

Attachments

#6 ·
Hard to hear with background sound but Possible universal joint noise , what happens if you keep your foot on the brake put in gear forward and reverse apply a bit of throttle, if you get a clinking creaking sound that can be a sign of the drive shaft universal joints. also check under and make sure a piece of wire or light cable has not gotten wrapped around any of the shafts.

#8 · (Edited)
Good job at trying to figure this out, yes your correct about the front drive shaft...With the auto trans it only spins (powered) when in 4hi or low. I think you need to get all four wheels up on sturdy jack stands then you can narrow the sound down a bit . Listening to it over again it sounds like a loose rattle More then a worn bearing or gear. That's all I got for the moment.

#9 ·
To me is sounds like a rotating object coming in contact with a fixed object. Thinking something like a worm drive hose clamp used on a CV boot, with a long "tail" flicking on something as the shaft rotates. You got anything like that anywhere?

#10 ·
Second guess....
Broken front axle or cv. Yes, it does rotate in 2wd. I broke mine a while back and it banged while it rotated freely. Sharp left turn for me caused it to really bang hard (driver side axle) and caused vehicle to jerk.

#11 ·
FJ will be spending the thanksgiving holiday at the dealership. Anxious to hear what they find but probably won't get looked at till Friday.

#12 · (Edited)
Sounds like front wheel bearings. Have you ever changed them out? I had mine done and it sounded just like that. I also just found out there is a forum member on tacomaworld.com that sells complete pressed units for $184 each. Time was an issue so I just paid and had it done at the local auto repair place.

#13 ·
CV/axle sounds like a possibility. Wheel bearings have never been replaced.

#16 ·
#17 ·
#19 ·
Dealer says both front wheel bearings need to be replaced. $1100. I know there's a guy on tacomaworld that sells new hub/bearing assemblies for $200. Just have to weight the savings against the trouble of doing it myself out in the cold along with a rental car for the week...

#21 · (Edited)
Ordered replacement hub/bearing assemblies from a guy on tacomaworld.
Here's my rental for the week, not quite the same color blue. Hardly any cargo space but I'll enjoy getting triple the gas mileage.

Attachments

#23 ·
I didn't order them from bamatoy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.