Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Changed Spark plugs, now a "air squirt" sound w/on gas pedal…help?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Sanderhawk 
#1 ·
Changed my plugs ( 78K first time, previous owner did not do them), now there is an air poof sound when I first step on the gas pedal. It would seem when the engine gets warmer, it goes away, but it still is present when I first step, or initially rev the engine.

I cleaned the Mass airflow sensor too. Checked 5x to see if I missed any hoses. Got the one hose on the back of the air box FYI.

any wisdom?

#2 ·
Your description is unclear, are you saying it makes one single puff of air?? Or you hear a continuous sound of air puffing , If it is continuous sound of air then I would say you have a loose spark plug Or you have cross threaded a plug in the hole ( sure hope not :mecry: ) and the sound you are hearing is the compered air from each stroke of the piston for that cylinder escaping past the threads. Did you start threading the spark plugs into the hole by hand or use the wrench from the start????

#4 ·
I would say just make sure all your plugs are tight, make sure you have your airbox (air filter ) put back on correctly and that everything you touched is mounted correctly and secured. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.