Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Is this a two stage filter

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  iwashmycar 
#1 ·
Hello all

I just got a 2007 FJ 80,000 km on it. Was having a good look at some things and started with the air filter. The dealer I bought it off installed an new air filter, but I see another filter media in the plenum that bolts to the engine.
I don't see a way to remove it for replacement or cleaning.

Anyone have some insite on this.

#2 ·
That one is part of your evap/emission controls. Can't replace it like your regular filter. Some have removed it under the belief that it restricts airflow and robs performance - no valid numbers to backnthis up......just a belief.

#3 ·
Ok
I blew it out with some low pressure air

#4 ·
I took it out with a screwdriver, It's still in my garage somewhere, i can always add a little glue to the corners and slap it back for emission purposes, assuming they notice the screen is not there upon inspection :), mine was full of dust the first time i opened up the airbox to inspect the air filter after half day in the dessert. There was no way i was going to let that sucker in there without a way to get it out for cleaning, and since the actual air filter is below that screen,i thought it was a little useless restriction/emission purposes POS thing. So far no DTC's without it i, and i've been running at least 25k miles without it.
Didn't notice any power gains, but perhaps little better fuel trims (less + LTFT's) which i like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.