Looks like I need to replace my rotors and pads - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Maintenance Tech This forum is for discussion of all aspects of maintenance that should be performed on the FJ Cruiser to keep it operating at maximum efficiency.

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 05:37 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Re: Looks like I need to replace my rotors and pads

I wouldn't run drilled or slotted on a truck going off road. Otherwise stock pads and rotors are great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 06:40 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
VolvoDoc previously said: View Post
Nobody is shaking fists, its factual. I've been a master tech for numerous auto makes for over a decade and never once saw a rotor crack or even show weakness due to drill/slotted designs. Hell, i never saw a rotor crack period.

If you want to disagree with my factual experience and nearly every auto manufacturer in the world that uses said parts, that is fine.
Rotors: Blank vs Cross Drilled vs Slotted and Warping | Automotive Thinker - Discussing the finer points of automobilesWHY Blank rotors are better than cross drilled and/or slotted - Honda-Tech

Young, dumb, and blunt - Chris
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 08:11 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Garage

"any benefit of extra cooling is most likely off set by the reduction of the rotors mass due to the drilling – which lowers the overall heat capacity of the rotor"

Dumbest thing I ever read. Are heat sinks solid aluminum of do they have "reduced mass' in the like of fins in order to create more cooling surface area? Solid rotors are barely used on quality automobiles (and if they are they are on the rear), they all are vented/finned in the center. Much like slots or (beveled) holes... more surface area = more cooling space. Your article lost all credibility.

I saw an article online which said Bush sent a cruise missile into the pentagon during 9/11. Take what you read online, go to a shop, and ask any technician if they saw drilled/slotted rotors crack on their cars that come OEM. (but we laugh at and hate "internet educated techs")

Now.... let me know when you see one of the thousands and thousands of cars I listed above that come with OEM slotted and/or drilled rotors have issues. In fact, my two years in Australia working on Holden HSV, I replaced a set of brake pads ONCE due to wear, never replaced rotors.

"So if you are one of those kids who thinks the little holes look cool, get a name brand drilled rotor like Ferrari does. The REASON Ferrari's 'holed' rotors are alright to use is because they are CAST with the holes in them, so they are not actually drilled into cast iron rotors. Cheap drilled rotors are not safe"

" In my experience, there is NO significant difference in their lifespan between the various types of rotors. Yes, cracks form in cross-drilled rotors around the holes, but no quicker than they form in other types of rotors. So there is no disadvantage to cross-drilled or slotted; however, there is no advantage, either."

From your second link.... this is exactly what is wrong with your opinion and crying foul on "cracked rotors". Internet mechanics buy cheap ass drilled rotors and they go to crap. No way?! One guy in your same link says he sees no difference between solid (which they really ARE NOT, they are vented in the center) and drilled. Buy quality and stop bashing the design because of cheap rotors.
cwheeler likes this.

Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. -Gen. Mad Dog Mattis USMC

Last edited by VolvoDoc; 02-21-2016 at 08:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 08:54 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
VolvoDoc previously said: View Post
"any benefit of extra cooling is most likely off set by the reduction of the rotors mass due to the drilling which lowers the overall heat capacity of the rotor"

Dumbest thing I ever read. Are heat sinks solid aluminum of do they have "reduced mass' in the like of fins in order to create more cooling surface area? Solid rotors are barely used on quality automobiles (and if they are they are on the rear), they all are vented/finned in the center. Much like slots or (beveled) holes... more surface area = more cooling space. Your article lost all credibility.

I saw an article online which said Bush sent a cruise missile into the pentagon during 9/11. Take what you read online, go to a shop, and ask any technician if they saw drilled/slotted rotors crack on their cars that come OEM. (but we laugh at and hate "internet educated techs")

Now.... let me know when you see one of the thousands and thousands of cars I listed above that come with OEM slotted and/or drilled rotors have issues. In fact, my two years in Australia working on Holden HSV, I replaced a set of brake pads ONCE due to wear, never replaced rotors.

"So if you are one of those kids who thinks the little holes look cool, get a name brand drilled rotor like Ferrari does. The REASON Ferrari's 'holed' rotors are alright to use is because they are CAST with the holes in them, so they are not actually drilled into cast iron rotors. Cheap drilled rotors are not safe"

" In my experience, there is NO significant difference in their lifespan between the various types of rotors. Yes, cracks form in cross-drilled rotors around the holes, but no quicker than they form in other types of rotors. So there is no disadvantage to cross-drilled or slotted; however, there is no advantage, either."

From your second link.... this is exactly what is wrong with your opinion and crying foul on "cracked rotors". Internet mechanics buy cheap ass drilled rotors and they go to crap. No way?! One guy in your same link says he sees no difference between solid (which they really ARE NOT, they are vented in the center) and drilled. Buy quality and stop bashing the design because of cheap rotors.
Science man. More mass=better heat transfer. Heat shrinks are proportional to the amount of energy that needs to be transferred. Also, look up F1 brakes. They are all SOLID. The most advanced cars in the world are using "inferior" technology. You will quote me again and keep this argument going but I'm letting you know that I'm done with this childish argument. Good luck in your findings.

Young, dumb, and blunt - Chris
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 10:01 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to mikey
Lifetime Supporting Member

F1 - invalid argument - they use carbon fibre composite not steel.

Science is the key - the engineering required to have the correct sized hole, shape of the hole, location of the holes etc takes time and is costly. Your average Joe would rather pay less for something that has a "cool" pattern drilled into them because its cheap.

The picture in the article you posted - after having a close look that rotor is excessively worn. When you compare the edge of the rotor to the pad swept area there is a big difference. That rotor IMO was well beyond its useful life.

Holes should only be in a vented rotor - never solid.
Holes should never be drilled they should CNC milled
Holes should never have a 90 corner(stress riser) the should have a bevel and radii - hence the CNC milling
Holes should cover the entire area that is swept by the pad

IMO rotors with holes are a great choice IF you buy from the right manufacture. $69.00 eBay drilled rotors will give you $69.00 performance. Brakes are not some place to be cheap on.
VolvoDoc likes this.

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says WTF

"It's not easy being Green"
Kermit the Frog
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 11:55 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
chriskrossapplesauce previously said: View Post
Science man. More mass=better heat transfer. Heat shrinks are proportional to the amount of energy that needs to be transferred. Also, look up F1 brakes. They are all SOLID. The most advanced cars in the world are using "inferior" technology. You will quote me again and keep this argument going but I'm letting you know that I'm done with this childish argument. Good luck in your findings.
I'll let him tell you since you wont listen to me....

By the way.... why do quality guns have barrels with flutes in them? MORE SURFACE = MORE COOLING. Density AKA MORE MASS retains heat. C'mon man. Middle school science here.

Quote:
mikey previously said: View Post
F1 - invalid argument - they use carbon fibre composite not steel.

Science is the key - the engineering required to have the correct sized hole, shape of the hole, location of the holes etc takes time and is costly. Your average Joe would rather pay less for something that has a "cool" pattern drilled into them because its cheap.

The picture in the article you posted - after having a close look that rotor is excessively worn. When you compare the edge of the rotor to the pad swept area there is a big difference. That rotor IMO was well beyond its useful life.

Holes should only be in a vented rotor - never solid.
Holes should never be drilled they should CNC milled
Holes should never have a 90 corner(stress riser) the should have a bevel and radii - hence the CNC milling
Holes should cover the entire area that is swept by the pad

IMO rotors with holes are a great choice IF you buy from the right manufacture. $69.00 eBay drilled rotors will give you $69.00 performance. Brakes are not some place to be cheap on.

Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. -Gen. Mad Dog Mattis USMC

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Maintenance Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in