StopTech true BIG Brake Kit for 400$ (DIY) - Page 34 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Maintenance Tech This forum is for discussion of all aspects of maintenance that should be performed on the FJ Cruiser to keep it operating at maximum efficiency. Advertisement

254Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #331 of 405 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 01:01 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2695 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: StopTech true BIG Brake Kit for 400$ (DIY)

Yeah so far so good with my setup of all Centric front parts with 9k miles on them. The TRD pads on the other hand are squeaking under hard braking. But there was plenty of pad material left last I checked.

Last edited by Iconic_; 05-08-2019 at 05:34 PM. Reason: change mileage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 405 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 01:09 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
darkhorse13 previously said: View Post
Hey everyone, quick update from my big brake upgrade; Powerstop caliper version. It's been a little over 8,000mi for me and the calipers are performing great. It sucks to hear the Centric calipers are seizing up for you @cliffy .

I don't think I'll buy calipers online anymore. Not much of a warranty behind them and not convenient in a pinch with shipping/core return. I got a nice rebuilt 4rnr caliper from advance auto with what appears to be a very durable silver coating and a lifetime warranty. The 4nr front brake setup on our FJ's does work great though.
darkhorse13 likes this.

Dec 2017 member of the month
post #333 of 405 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 01:20 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Garage

@darkhorse13 did you bed your pads to your rotors? Or did you do a easy break-in (brake lightly for 200 miles or so)?

Quote:
Iconic_ previously said: View Post
The TRD pads on the other hand are squeaking under hard braking.
Stop running race car parts! (TRacingD) :

Quote:
cliffy previously said: View Post
appears to be a very durable silver coating and a lifetime warranty.
I'd get caliper paint and coat them anyway if they're made of iron. I replaced my dad's Lexus with power stop calipers and they were pretty silver but didn't last. If they're aluminum, then carry on
Iconic_ likes this.

Last edited by jamesepoop; 02-24-2019 at 01:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 405 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 05:27 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
jamesepoop previously said: View Post
@darkhorse13 did you bed your pads to your rotors? Or did you do a easy break-in (brake lightly for 200 miles or so)?
1) On the original new Centric rotors and new TRD pads I followed the break-in procedure supplied in the TRD pads box. I don't exact recall but it was something like a handful of 25-5mph soft stops then 40-10mph medium stops? I am not hard on my brakes nor am I an aggressive stop and go type of person on the highway. Also, the Centric rotors went about 7K miles before I noticed the pulsing so they started out just fine.

2) Now on the new OEM rotors and existing TRD pads, I only have about 20 miles on this combo. I still followed the pad break in procedure though on the new rotors. I plan to get on the highway with them soon and make some higher speed slow downs. I'll do my best to baby these new OEM rotors for about a tank of gas.

I'll have plenty of wheeling trips this summer with a fully loaded rig so I'll be sure to report back if the OEM rotors exhibit any shakes... if they do I probably have other issues creeping up.
jamesepoop likes this.
post #335 of 405 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 05:36 PM
Forum Superstar

Garage

Quote:

I'd get caliper paint and coat them anyway if they're made of iron. I replaced my dad's Lexus with power stop calipers and they were pretty silver but didn't last. If they're aluminum, then carry on
Hmm, Maybe I should've painted then because I'm pretty sure $129 duralast calipers aren't aluminum....
jamesepoop likes this.

post #336 of 405 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 08:41 PM
Forum Superstar

Garage

Quote:
darkhorse13 previously said: View Post
I plan to get on the highway with them soon and make some higher speed slow downs. I'll do my best to baby these new OEM rotors for about a tank of gas.
Stoptech removed their original site but their pad procedure and theory were on point. You should run it to almost fade (among smelling the resins in the pad fusing from heat). That's how hot the brakes have to get to transfer the pad material reliably. I have a feeling over time the street driving polished the rotors and unevenly deposited pad material since you said you're easy on the brakes. Just something to consider, drive harder!
post #337 of 405 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 08:53 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2695 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Stoptech removed their original site but their pad procedure and theory were on point. You should run it to almost fade (among smelling the resins in the pad fusing from heat). That's how hot the brakes have to get to transfer the pad material reliably. I have a feeling over time the street driving polished the rotors and unevenly deposited pad material since you said you're easy on the brakes. Just something to consider, drive harder!
That's what I did. I hammered them for the first couple stops from 50-10 mph about 5 times as fast as I could. Nobody else was on the road. Heck, I even dragged them while giving it some gas.
Loganbeere and jamesepoop like this.
post #338 of 405 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 02:00 AM
Forum Superstar

Garage

Quote:
Iconic_ previously said: View Post
That's what I did. I hammered them for the first couple stops from 50-10 mph about 5 times as fast as I could. Nobody else was on the road. Heck, I even dragged them while giving it some gas.
Your method seems unconventional but effective The Stoptech article was rather definite in saying once you've gone thru the procedure, go another 110%. Perform the bed in procedure 2-3x total to get to the brakes to operating temp and almost fade to failure. All depends on the pad of course but building up heat to make you brake better seems like the upside down.

I wish I could find the procedure but their site changed servers.
Loganbeere likes this.
post #339 of 405 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 07:30 AM
Forum Superstar

Garage

What do the manufacturers do? I can't see them running brand new vehicles up to 40 mph with hard to moderate stops 6-10 times. Still some guys are getting over 100k miles out of originals... using machines???

post #340 of 405 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 10:57 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
I replaced my front ones with centric parts. The calipers are covered in surface rust in 3 weeks of summer weather. I don't take my FJ on salty winter roads here otherwise they're gonna be way worse. Pictures compare the centric front vs the OE rear. I wonder what coating is on centric calipers…it's as good as bare metal lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190225_223819_1551200155511.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	1069600   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190225_223803_1551200169930.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	229.1 KB
ID:	1069602  
Loganbeere likes this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Maintenance Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in