StopTech true BIG Brake Kit for 400$ (DIY) - Page 35 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Maintenance Tech This forum is for discussion of all aspects of maintenance that should be performed on the FJ Cruiser to keep it operating at maximum efficiency. Advertisement

254Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #341 of 405 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 04:29 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Garage
Re: StopTech true BIG Brake Kit for 400$ (DIY)

I get the coated rotors. They rust a lot less.

Dec 2017 member of the month
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #342 of 405 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 05:43 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
cliffy previously said: View Post
What do the manufacturers do? I can't see them running brand new vehicles up to 40 mph with hard to moderate stops 6-10 times.
OE pads are best left alone (but I don't think it's foolproof). Say that you tend to ride your brake pedal or have a heavy foot with 0 miles, you might cause premature issues. Most people drive their new car pretty easy for the first few trips, don't they?

Quote:
HeisKai previously said: View Post
I wonder what coating is on centric calipers…it's as good as bare metal lol
Iron-clad. It's derived from ancient times.
Loganbeere likes this.
post #343 of 405 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 06:19 PM
Forum Superstar

Garage

[QUOTE=jamesepoop;9190456]OE pads are best left alone (but I don't think it's foolproof). Say that you tend to ride your brake pedal or have a heavy foot with 0 miles, you might cause premature issues. Most people drive their new car pretty easy for the first few trips, don't they?

Run the crap out of it if you want a good running car. Baby it and it'll be a pooch.

I actually meant manufacturers don't seem to 'break in new pads on brand new vehicles.
USA4X4 and jamesepoop like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #344 of 405 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 07:14 PM
Forum Superstar

Garage

Quote:
I actually meant manufacturers don't seem to 'break in new pads on brand new vehicles.
Yup. I meant, that's the factory procedure. Read the manual, but who reads these days am i right?!
post #345 of 405 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 07:24 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1532 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to mikey
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
jamesepoop previously said: View Post
Yup. I meant, that's the factory procedure. Read the manual, but who reads these days am i right?!
I do, saves me a lot of headache down the road.

I also read instructions.......ive learned.
jamesepoop likes this.

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says WTF

"It's not easy being Green"
Kermit the Frog
post #346 of 405 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 07:30 PM
Forum Superstar

Garage

Quote:
jamesepoop previously said: View Post
Sooo, no break in at all since they leave it up to us.. Many get a lot of miles out of them but I forgot with my first FJ 'I bought new' the rears wore out very fast and I had to replace them. I can't remember the mileage I changed them at but It happened awhile before I sold it. It had 27k miles when it sold so probably changed at 15k miles or so.

post #347 of 405 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 07:56 PM
Forum Superstar

Garage

Quote:
Run the crap out of it if you want a good running car. Baby it and it'll be a pooch.
Pretty much this. Here's the theory from Centric (and similar to Stoptech's) @Iconic_

FAQ #1: How can I tell if my brakes are bedded-in?
This is a question without a single definitive answer; however, there are visual indicators on the
rotor itself which can help determine the state of the bed-in.
1. Rotor discoloration. Typically, there will be a bluish tint to a used rotor which is from heat. A
more important color is a grayish tint or film on the face of the rotor where the pads touch. This
color is actually from the pad material building up and is the best indication of how much pad
material is adhered to the rotor. In general, if the rotor face is still shiny there is not enough
pad material built up. Note that different pads will generate different appearances, so take
notice of how the rotor appears before starting the bed-in process so you can recognize any
difference after.
2. Machining marks. On a new rotor, you can often use machining marks on the rotor face to
assess the state of the bed-in. Typically, there will be either very slight grooves from turning the
rotor (like a vinyl record – ask your parents) or more random marks from grinding the rotor
surface during manufacturing. Prior to starting the bed-in process take a mental picture of the
machining marks. If they are still very prominent following bed-in, you may not be bedding-in
aggressively enough. In general it's alright if there are still slight traces of the machining marks
after a few bed-in cycles, but you should definitely see them starting to go away.

And what I think is happening to most people going easy on their brakes, 5/10k/xx miles later @darkhorse13
FAQ #3: What do you mean I “un-bedded” the brakes?
If any brake pad is used below its adherent operating temperature, it will create friction
through primarily abrasive mechanisms, slowly but surely removing the transfer layer on the
rotor. For this reason, most street/performance pads like to be driven just a little bit
aggressively every now and again to maintain a proper transfer layer of pad material on the
rotor face.
If the brakes are used passively for an extended period of time, the transfer layer can be
completely removed, effectively un-bedding the brakes. The brake system will still perform well
under normal driving conditions, but before heading to the autocross or your favorite canyon
back road you will want to perform a bed-in procedure. Failing to do so will only increase the
risk of TV generation.

Quote:
Sooo, no break in at all since they leave it up to us.. Many get a lot of miles out of them but I forgot with my first FJ 'I bought new' the rears wore out very fast and I had to replace them.
That sounds freakish. You'll most likely change front pads 2-3 times before you change the rears.
darkhorse13 and Loganbeere like this.

Last edited by jamesepoop; 02-26-2019 at 08:07 PM.
post #348 of 405 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 04:14 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2666 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

For group knowledge. I put 37" tires on my FJ. Even with the brakes fully upgraded using all the 5th gen parts in this thread, I am unable to lock up the tires while braking on smooth pavement. With my 34's it was easy, and 35's I'm pretty sure its do able. But finally I am increasing first stop (cold brakes) stopping distance due to tire size increase. I'd still say that's pretty good though if 35"+ is the limit for our vehicles. Jeep JK's can't even lock up 35's with "BBK's"

I'd like to get the RR racing 6 piston caliper upgrade someday and test it also.
jamesepoop and cliffy like this.
post #349 of 405 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 04:29 PM
Forum Superstar

Garage

Just takes money... lots and lots of money.
Iconic_ and jamesepoop like this.

post #350 of 405 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 05:09 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)

Quote:
Iconic_ previously said: View Post
For group knowledge. I put 37" tires on my FJ. Even with the brakes fully upgraded using all the 5th gen parts in this thread, I am unable to lock up the tires while braking on smooth pavement. With my 34's it was easy, and 35's I'm pretty sure its do able. But finally I am increasing first stop (cold brakes) stopping distance due to tire size increase. I'd still say that's pretty good though if 35"+ is the limit for our vehicles. Jeep JK's can't even lock up 35's with "BBK's"

I'd like to get the RR racing 6 piston caliper upgrade someday and test it also.
What’s tire weight on the 37” compared to the 35”

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Maintenance Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in