StopTech true BIG Brake Kit for 400$ (DIY) - Page 40 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Maintenance Tech This forum is for discussion of all aspects of maintenance that should be performed on the FJ Cruiser to keep it operating at maximum efficiency.

253Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #391 of 400 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 07:02 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2550 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: StopTech true BIG Brake Kit for 400$ (DIY)

Every time my factory FJC brakes pulsed it was after mountain driving or long road trips and usually fixed itself after a week of regular driving which lead me to believe it was indeed pad build up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 400 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
At dealer now getting new genuine Toyota 5th generation 4Runner brakes installed in front (with dust shields). I ended up getting AllPro stainless brake lines from Pure auto. Standard rotors plus TRD pads will go in rear. I attached a picture of the front brakes. Don’t know how long the calipers will stay silver 🙂. I had dealer install so i get the 1 year parts and labor warranty (against stuck calipers and warped rotors). I have a platinum warranty but don’t know if Toyota will cover 4 runner parts in my FJ under that warranty. Based on a post in these forums, I signed up for the Colorado FJ get together in September. Will have 1 -2 people in truck with me so will see how they do. I will give a report after I get some miles on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	18F38962-7A2B-4867-8411-265C6E47799C_1560954026910.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	289.1 KB
ID:	1083112  
cliffy likes this.
post #393 of 400 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 09:07 AM

Update. The dealer tech can’t install the All Pro rear stainless lines cause the fittings are different. Am I missing something? Contacted Pure Auto. The rubber lines will stay in place for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #394 of 400 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 09:39 AM

It turns out the brake lines were correct. The tech was looking for short lines from the the steel line to the calipers. I will have to look at ordering those and getting them installed later.
post #395 of 400 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 04:09 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Garage

I can't believe a dealer installed any carry in parts...
FJTTSE likes this.

Dec 2017 member of the month
post #396 of 400 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:24 PM

I ordered all the brake parts from the dealer except the lines. When I had my Tacoma 140amp alternator installed by them, I ordered the alternator from them. My dealer supports the local Toyota truck and off road community. Persons talk about getting the best deal. It’s my belief and practice, if we want dealers to support us and survive, we need support them. So I spend my money there and support them. May cost me more but to me it’s important if we want to continue to have this level of support.
post #397 of 400 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
fsubzero previously said: View Post
I ordered all the brake parts from the dealer except the lines. When I had my Tacoma 140amp alternator installed by them, I ordered the alternator from them. My dealer supports the local Toyota truck and off road community. Persons talk about getting the best deal. Itís my belief and practice, if we want dealers to support us and survive, we need support them. So I spend my money there and support them. May cost me more but to me itís important if we want to continue to have this level of support.
Can you share part numbers? I'm thinking of going the same route, with the 5th gen 4r calipers/rotors up front, and want to make sure I get the right ones.
I get supporting your Toy dealer, but even they are not all equal. Sounds like you have a good one in your area.

TIA.
post #398 of 400 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 04:34 PM

I took the part numbers from an earlier post in this thread. I will dig out the receipt by tomorrow and post. I went with standard rotors/TRD pads in rear. The dealer offers special service pricing to people on the Chicago FJ Cruiser forum, they support the local community. From working on my FJ they are now experts in installing skids, aftermarket rear trailing arms, Tacoma towing alternator install, 140 amp fuse, installing submarine mod, brake upgrade, gps tracker install, custom alignment to get rid of rubbing. Its good PR because I took my sister from far away and she purchased an RAV4 there based on the experience with them. She drives there for her service too.
post #399 of 400 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 06:04 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Garage

My parts list is on page 22

Dec 2017 member of the month
post #400 of 400 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
fsubzero previously said: View Post
I took the part numbers from an earlier post in this thread. I will dig out the receipt by tomorrow and post. I went with standard rotors/TRD pads in rear. The dealer offers special service pricing to people on the Chicago FJ Cruiser forum, they support the local community. From working on my FJ they are now experts in installing skids, aftermarket rear trailing arms, Tacoma towing alternator install, 140 amp fuse, installing submarine mod, brake upgrade, gps tracker install, custom alignment to get rid of rubbing. Its good PR because I took my sister from far away and she purchased an RAV4 there based on the experience with them. She drives there for her service too.
Thanks. That would be helpful. I'm looking to do this BBK with OEM parts (except for the pads.)

Very cool that about the Chicago FJ forum discount. I'm in the Denver/Boulder area. Not aware of any similar situation.

Cheers.

Last edited by asix; 07-24-2019 at 07:00 PM.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Maintenance Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in