1st oil change myself - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Maintenance Tech This forum is for discussion of all aspects of maintenance that should be performed on the FJ Cruiser to keep it operating at maximum efficiency. Advertisement

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Re: 1st oil change myself

Sorry BlindWilly, I was out of town for a few days. I was going to send you the link but see it's been covered! I am sure you will be happy with it once installed. All you have to do is switch out the metal filter tube from your plastic housing, since the one in the metal hosuing is a bit too short.

Quote:
BlindWilly previously said: View Post
The fumoto valve is GREAT!

It does make it a little slower to drain, but I love it.

Hey, do you have a link for the metal/aluminum filter housing?
I didn't know they made those.

Thank you.

2014 Quicksand -The Honey Badger-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 06:41 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 843 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Kaiju previously said: View Post

BlindWilly, here's the Amazon link for the housing. The part number is 15620-31060 if you'd rather go to a Toyota dealer instead. Be sure to swap the inside parts from your old plastic housing. The center piece isn't tall enough on the new part. I just swapped out the whole inside setup on mine, valve, spring and center support sleeve. You might have to bend the tabs a little to work it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Toyota...ota+B008BHP68A
Thank you!
I've been doing my own oil since I bought the FJ new.
I damn near broke (at least it felt like it) the plastic housing this last time, so the metal one will be a welcome change.
Desmopilot likes this.

Proud owner of "Muddy", my 2013 Quicksand FJ.
http://www.txpedition.com

"No Matter Where You Go, There You Are"
-Buckaroo Bonzai
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 11:57 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)

Quote:
BlindWilly previously said: View Post
Thank you!
I've been doing my own oil since I bought the FJ new.
I damn near broke (at least it felt like it) the plastic housing this last time, so the metal one will be a welcome change.
Yeah, I've been doing all mine oil changes and that plastic canister would really stick and make me wonder if I was going to break it while removing it sometime. The only thing is, there's a little metal retaining clip that goes with the plastic canister, I guess to keep it from coming loose, and it won't fit on the new metal canister. So I made sure to follow the correct torque specs (those specs conveniently come with each new TRD oil filter) when I installed my new metal version. I don't want it working loose, although since that O-ring seal seems to cinch up over time, I doubt that's an issue. Also, be sure to get a new oil filter wrench, one that also has the slots in the top as well as the hex fitting at the bottom as part of the tool casting. It's a much better grip on the canister and less likely to slip. I think the Amazon link I gave you also had the proper wrench.

Army Green 2011 FJ. My baby, the green strange beast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 12:21 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1532 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to mikey
Lifetime Supporting Member

I have not changed the oil in the FJ myself.

Closest thing i have done to a fluid change of any sort on my own is to top off the washer fluid.

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says WTF

"It's not easy being Green"
Kermit the Frog
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
(Thread Starter)

I was able to transfer the metal retaining clip from the plastic housing onto the metal one. It was a tight fit, but I just used a small dab of anti seize to get the tabs to slide easier. Nice little bit of insurance that clip is.
Quote:
Kaiju previously said: View Post
Yeah, I've been doing all mine oil changes and that plastic canister would really stick and make me wonder if I was going to break it while removing it sometime. The only thing is, there's a little metal retaining clip that goes with the plastic canister, I guess to keep it from coming loose, and it won't fit on the new metal canister. So I made sure to follow the correct torque specs (those specs conveniently come with each new TRD oil filter) when I installed my new metal version. I don't want it working loose, although since that O-ring seal seems to cinch up over time, I doubt that's an issue. Also, be sure to get a new oil filter wrench, one that also has the slots in the top as well as the hex fitting at the bottom as part of the tool casting. It's a much better grip on the canister and less likely to slip. I think the Amazon link I gave you also had the proper wrench.

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 02:59 PM
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Desmopilot previously said: View Post
I was able to transfer the metal retaining clip from the plastic housing onto the metal one. It was a tight fit, but I just used a small dab of anti seize to get the tabs to slide easier. Nice little bit of insurance that clip is.
It does slide on, but there is no machined notch similar to the one on the plastic canister to keep it in place. It kept wanting to slip off on my canister, so I left it off since I was afraid I'd lose it driving somewhere or worse, have it jump into the belt. I'll be keeping an eye on it to make sure it doesn't start to unscrew. Maybe in the future I will machine one of the tabs with a little notch, so that the clip will stay put. I wonder how Toyota thinks the canister is supposed to NOT back off on a Venza, which is the vehicle this metal canister normally fits?

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Hmmm...I will also be looking at this for my own peace of mind. Thanks for the tip!

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 01:34 PM
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Desmopilot previously said: View Post
Hmmm...I will also be looking at this for my own peace of mind. Thanks for the tip!
Yeah, take a look at the tab on your old plastic canister. Where the clip normally slides on there is a little flat spot and notch that keeps it from coming off too easily. I was looking at the metal canister on my FJ and it would take some fancy machining or filing to make it similar in shape to the plastic version without weakening that tab too much. I'm going to settle with just keeping an eye on it and making sure it doesn't start backing out. Judging from how hard it is to get off during a filter change, I'm guessing it'll stay put once torqued on properly anyway. Anyone else who's put on the metal canister have any issues with it backing out after driving for awhile?
Desmopilot likes this.

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 05:37 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

I've been fixing and servicing Euro Cars for 25+ years. Porsche, M/B, Volvo, Mini, VW and BMW have all been using the plastic canisters for years. None of them have a "locking clip" and I've NEVER had one come loose or leak. I've never tightened one more than snug, maybe 12 or 15 ftlbs. There is enuf friction in the o-ring that they will never vibrate loose.

The O-ring does the sealing, tighter wont help. I've also changed the oil in my FJ (2011) 16 times. Used the proper socket and never over tightened the housing. Looks and works like new. Will last the life of the car, just as Toyota intended.

YMMV RON
Desmopilot and Dingus like this.

I'm not lost. I'm right there at the cursor on my GPS..... Wherever that is????

2011 Silver Fresco, off road pkg, conv pkg, roof rack and hitch.
Mods: MT sliders, TRD TTUE Skid Plate, Craven Shorty Ant, PIAA LP570's on frt bumper, FOURTREKS clamps for shovel and axe, 265/70 17 Toyo ATIIs, SPRINGTAIL bags and racks, tossed the rear sway bar...
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 03:26 PM
Forum Veteran

Quote:
GS-RON previously said: View Post
I've been fixing and servicing Euro Cars for 25+ years. Porsche, M/B, Volvo, Mini, VW and BMW have all been using the plastic canisters for years. None of them have a "locking clip" and I've NEVER had one come loose or leak. I've never tightened one more than snug, maybe 12 or 15 ftlbs. There is enuf friction in the o-ring that they will never vibrate loose.

The O-ring does the sealing, tighter wont help. I've also changed the oil in my FJ (2011) 16 times. Used the proper socket and never over tightened the housing. Looks and works like new. Will last the life of the car, just as Toyota intended.

YMMV RON
I figured that would be the case. Even with that little clip on my old plastic canister, it never moved such that it had to be stopped by that little clip, so I just left it off the new canister. That o-ring has a pretty good grip, especially with synthetic oil, so it's not likely move on it's own. Besides, I always use my small torque wrench and torque it to specs. I do like the metal canister far better than the plastic one however. There's just something not right about oil under pressure being contained in plastic, even if it's designed to be used for that purpose. It will never crack either.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Maintenance Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in