Zerks! - Page 19 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Maintenance Tech This forum is for discussion of all aspects of maintenance that should be performed on the FJ Cruiser to keep it operating at maximum efficiency.

41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #181 of 182 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 02:08 AM
1k9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Re: Zerks!

After lubing my drive shafts I had quite of bit of excess grease inside the spider.
(Long story, I used the wrong grease and regressed with Mobile 1 synthetic, pumped out the incorrect grease until M1 Syn came out).
I cleaned up the excess grease so not to have it flung everywhere, but I am wondering If you can safely use brake cleaner to get it really cleaned up?
Or will the break cleaner do more damage to the seals?

Other than that it went really smooth. Now I want to do my 4Runner Trail what mileage do you start the relube maintenance? I bought my 4Runner new in 2015 but has really low mileage.

Thanks 🤙🏼
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 182 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 06:40 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Zerks!

Quote:
1k9 previously said: View Post
...can safely use brake cleaner to get it really cleaned up?

Or will the break cleaner do more damage to the seals?
The grease isnít really going to hurt anything down there, so I donít find brake cleaner necessary - I just wipe up the excess with a paper towel until itís clean. If you lubed properly youíre just going to have more grease flung around the U-joints anyway.

Quote:
1k9 previously said: View Post
Now I want to do my 4Runner Trail what mileage do you start the relube maintenance?
I re-lube every time I do an oil change, so every 5,000 miles. As a matter of fact, I just changed oil and re-lubed the zerks today.

Now that Iíve done this a few times to my FJ, and can absolutely advise that pumping grease until you see it come out of the slip joints is the way to properly do this. The key here is that you HAVE to GO SLOW. By going slow, I mean pumping grease (slowly) until you see the drive shaft expand, and then STOP. Wait until the drive shaft settles to its original position, and give it another pump. Each time you pump, youíll see the drive shaft expand, but it will settle back to its original position. Keep doing this until you see grease seep out of the slip joint, and then youíre done.

Since I correctly lubed my slip joints last time, this time I got the same ďcracklingĒ sound from the slip joints that I get from the U-joints, which was soon followed by old moly grease. This means the seals are working properly and air is getting pushed out, along with old grease.

Again, if youíre not seeing any grease come out when you lube the slip joints, youíre not doing it right - but you HAVE to GO SLOW.
1k9 and Prius2FJ like this.

2014 GSJ15L-GKASKA 2LF AT | TRD TTUE Suspension | BFG AT KO 285/70/17 | CompuStar Pro T11 Remote Start

Last edited by javylsu; 10-30-2018 at 06:42 PM.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Maintenance Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in