Zerks! - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Maintenance Tech This forum is for discussion of all aspects of maintenance that should be performed on the FJ Cruiser to keep it operating at maximum efficiency.

41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 182 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 05:20 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Zerks!

I just grease all six of mine about an hour ago. If the zerk is on the slip yoke, then you shouldn't have any trouble putting grease thru it. If it's on the u-joints, those can be pretty darn tight. They may not need grease. Remember, you are only replacing grease that is lost. If you force it you could blow grease out the seals which is not ideal.

DEWFPO

2007 FJ, 5AT, Sun Fusion Yellow, CQ, UP, GY, RB, 2Q, EL, VS.

Engine Block Heater, '08 Cyclone Pre-Filter, Dual horns, Phillips Osram 70W/65W H4's, RockBlocker and 3M Clear Film, Toyota RearSight Backup Camera, Ultra-Gauge MX 1.3.

"Enjoying the Journey"

"Wanted - young, skinny, wiry fellows, not over 18. Must be expert riders willing to risk death daily. Orphans preferred"
Original newspaper add placed by William Hepburn Russell, founder of the The Pony Express
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 182 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 04:26 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

It was a clogged zerk. The swap out fixed the problem.

I have talked to a few guys at the shop who say to squeeze grease until the old stuff is coming out all the way around all the sealed areas. Since it comes out some spots before others it takes a bit of "squeezing out the old stuff." How would one know if a seal is blown?

From here out I am just going to pump until the old stuff just starts to creep out (one spot or all around, whichever is first).

KK6FJC

March '08 Sandstorm 4x4. Jackcovers.com ICON Stage 6, Bud Built, ARB, EXP ONE, Safari Snorkel, KM2 P-cutters, Dirty Parts....
post #23 of 182 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 04:37 PM
Forum Superstar

The purpose of the seal is to keep grease in, and keep dirt and water out. Once you're pushing grease past the rubber seals, they won't seal quite as well. It's probably not that big a deal but I've found that if I pump the crap out of the u-joints, it seems they need grease more frequently and take noticeably more grease. That tells me that the grease is getting out. If the grease can get out, the bearings will not have the proper lubrication, also water can get it. Just my experience. I guess if you never drive in water or really muddy, snowy or wet conditions it probably doesn't matter.

DEWFPO

Engine Block Heater, '08 Cyclone Pre-Filter, Dual horns, Phillips Osram 70W/65W H4's, RockBlocker and 3M Clear Film, Toyota RearSight Backup Camera, Ultra-Gauge MX 1.3.

"Enjoying the Journey"

"Wanted - young, skinny, wiry fellows, not over 18. Must be expert riders willing to risk death daily. Orphans preferred"
Original newspaper add placed by William Hepburn Russell, founder of the The Pony Express
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 182 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 02:38 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

quick question: when he mentioned "If the zerks inside the u-joints are aligned, then the slip yoke zerk will be too. DO NOT grease the slip yokes until grease comes out between the shaft and the tube," what does it mean do not grease the slip yokes until grease comes out? Does the grease come out by itself? how does this work?

thanks
post #25 of 182 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 02:50 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
lordhowe previously said: View Post
quick question: when he mentioned "If the zerks inside the u-joints are aligned, then the slip yoke zerk will be too. DO NOT grease the slip yokes until grease comes out between the shaft and the tube," what does it mean do not grease the slip yokes until grease comes out? Does the grease come out by itself? how does this work?

thanks
It means, only put one or two pumps of the grease gun into the slip yokes. If you keep pumping, you will fill all the space between the inner and outer slip yoke with grease, and then they will be hydraulically locked and not be able to slip which will stress your transfer case output shaft and differential pinion gears.

N5MUD
4x4ham.com
TLCA # 16550
High Desert Cruisers

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #26 of 182 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 09:19 AM
Forum Regular

great thanks!
post #27 of 182 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 09:24 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

At what mileage should you pump grease into the zerks?
post #28 of 182 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
fjowner? previously said: View Post
At what mileage should you pump grease into the zerks?
Your manual states every 5K but I find the rear slip yoke prefers to be greased about every 2.5K or so to keep it perfectly happy.

DEWFPO

"Enjoying the Journey"

post #29 of 182 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 10:05 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 110 Post(s)

What grease are you guys using? I can look it up in the manual, but I am just wondering how critical it is. I have a case of high quality tractor grease that I bought when I was still running my John Deere 3520. I would like to be able to use it. Will have to look and see exactly what it is.
post #30 of 182 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 110 Post(s)

I looked in the manual. It states use an NGl2 (cant remember exact number) but it was exactly what I had.

I greased all 6 zerks. All of them were easy to get to. The rear shaft was turned exactly opposite where it needed to be (naturally) but even then it was easy to get the flexible nozzle up there. Didnt rotate shaft. 3-4 pumps and grease was exiting at every point. Pumped 2-3 shots in the 2 slip yokes. 10 minute job. Not counting the 15 minutes it took me to find my good extension cord. LOL.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Maintenance Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in