Power Steering and Brake Fluid - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Maintenance Tech This forum is for discussion of all aspects of maintenance that should be performed on the FJ Cruiser to keep it operating at maximum efficiency.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Power Steering and Brake Fluid

I was reviewing the FJ maintenance list and noticed that there is no mention of flushing and replacing the power steering fluid or brake fluid. It mentions checking and topping off if needed, not flushing and or replacing. Just wondering what your thoughts are on this.

All-Pro skids, Stubbs Welding HD-SKO Rock Sliders, FT-8800R, Icon Stage 2, and 285/17/75 Cooper Discovery Maxx tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 09:41 PM
I Have a V-8!! Moderator

Mentioned: 352 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7027 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Power Steering and Brake Fluid

Here are some threads on it.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum - Search Results for flushing brake fluid and power steering fluid fj cruiser

Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens...

I'll ride in on a sunny day, Sing you a song, steal your heart away Like a cowboy Hang my hat like I'm here for awhile Kick off my boots and drive you wild Like a cowboy Well baby you know I can't stay long You wake up, I'll be gone Until then I'll hold on Like a cowboy.

TLCA #9031
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 09:50 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Power Steering and Brake Fluid

Yes , they don't mention it since they want you to buy a new power steering pump or the rack after it goes bad. Power steering flush is very easy and while you are at it i will recommend adding a power-steering cooler as well, it doubles the life of the power steering pump and your steering rack. Flushing the brake fluid should be done every four years or so depending what part of the country you live, since you don't want the moisture to get inside the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CurbCrawler likes this.

“There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.”
2010 TT 6MT. 4.56+ARB locker, Icon Coil Over Shocks+FOX 2.5 Rear+Icon UCA. All pro HD steering Kit. Metal Tech tube bumper with Caterpillar GTB 9000 Winch. Light Force Striker 170 HID. K&N cooled Air Intake. Ricochet Skid Plate. All-Pro Rear LCA. ARB Half Rack. Boztech Diff skid 285/75/16 Goodyear MTR, Edelbrock Exhaust. URD Short Shifter. Total Chaos LCA Skids.
And Death Valley Is The Place To Be
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 07:07 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
VooDoo Blue 57 previously said: View Post
I was reviewing the FJ maintenance list and noticed that there is no mention of flushing and replacing the power steering fluid or brake fluid. It mentions checking and topping off if needed, not flushing and or replacing. Just wondering what your thoughts are on this.
I just got done flushing out my power steering for the second time. I do it about every 50K right now. Its very easy to do and very fast if you have 2 people. I have bleed out my brakes several times to keep the fluid fresh. Keep up with the maintenance and it will last a long long time

Steve.... 07 FJ with almost enough mods.... August 2017 Member of the month
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Thanks for the links. I really don't understand this forum's search function. I searched for both power steering and power steering flush and got no results.

All-Pro skids, Stubbs Welding HD-SKO Rock Sliders, FT-8800R, Icon Stage 2, and 285/17/75 Cooper Discovery Maxx tires.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 09:06 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

I flushed steering at 112K, but brake seemed ok. What are some signs you should do brake fluid?
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 09:20 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)

It's only common sense that PS & brake systems must be flushed (dirt, fluid breakdown, moisture and particulate material wear will occur). I just did the PS system last week at 81K and used Dexron VI, which is a fully synthetic fluid and backward compatible with previous versions to III. The brake system (DOT-3) will be done when it warms up. All fluids in the vehicle must be flushed, some sooner than others, if the system is highly dynamic then sooner and more frequent, if more static, then a bit later and less often as a general rule of thumb with the exception of the engine and possibly the cooling system!

The reason why we retain memories is because we are not caught in a time loop. The reason why we are not caught in a time loop is because it is not possible to go backwards in time only forward!
*CurbCrawler fabricated hidden front receiver.
*CurbCrawler fabricated Hi-Lift receiver mount.
*CurbCrawler fabricated SS dual battery tray & Walmart Battery.
*CurbCrawler fabricated 4-Gauge dash pod.
*CurbCrawler fabricated Aux fuse/relay panel.
Gibson cat-back exhaust (Dyno Proven)
Complete set of aluminum skid plates.
Receiver mounted 9k-lb rear winch.
Hayden trans cooler w/electric fan.
Factory rock rails.
Moon roof.
LED fog & backup lights.
Husky mats: front, center & rear.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 10:27 AM
I Have a V-8!! Moderator

Mentioned: 352 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7027 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
VooDoo Blue 57 previously said: View Post
Thanks for the links. I really don't understand this forum's search function. I searched for both power steering and power steering flush and got no results.
It's weird. I usually go up to the search and click on it and then use the Google option and put in like power steering fluid flush FJ Cruiser and it works. Sometimes you may have to change up words or whatever and sometimes it doesn't work at with anything. I just learned to sort of use it after being on here for so long.

I had mine flushed and changed on my FJ at around 100,000 miles. My Service Manager brought it up and after seeing people do it on the forum I let them go ahead and do my steering and brakes. I also got the transmission done around that same time too.

Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens...

I'll ride in on a sunny day, Sing you a song, steal your heart away Like a cowboy Hang my hat like I'm here for awhile Kick off my boots and drive you wild Like a cowboy Well baby you know I can't stay long You wake up, I'll be gone Until then I'll hold on Like a cowboy.

TLCA #9031
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 08:44 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Garage

I want to add both steering and trans cooling. Any recommendations on cooling unit that incorporates two, one for transmission and one for steering but integrated for installation?

'73 FJ40: Chevy sb 350 TBI
'84 FJ60: Vortec 4.3 TBI & 700R4
'12 FJC TTSE: ARB front bumper, Warn Zeon 10k winch, Icon Stage 2, RCI'S, 285/17 Duratracs, Prinsu rack, Springtail everything
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 09:24 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Garage

I flush my Brake fluid every 2 years. The cost of a new master cylinder is crazy expensive. Brake fluid is cheap. I also flush my Power steering fluid while i'm at it too.

[SIGPIC]07 Sun fusion MT 887X OME Bilstein 5100 TRD short throw shifter Overhead console MOD TRD intake, ARB front & red eye rear bumpers Flow master CAT back EXH 9500 Engo Winch Demello Hybrid sliders Snorkel lefty T case

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Maintenance Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in