Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Power Steering and Brake Fluid

15K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  jamesepoop 
#1 ·
I was reviewing the FJ maintenance list and noticed that there is no mention of flushing and replacing the power steering fluid or brake fluid. It mentions checking and topping off if needed, not flushing and or replacing. Just wondering what your thoughts are on this.

#2 ·
#3 ·
Yes , they don't mention it since they want you to buy a new power steering pump or the rack after it goes bad. Power steering flush is very easy and while you are at it i will recommend adding a power-steering cooler as well, it doubles the life of the power steering pump and your steering rack. Flushing the brake fluid should be done every four years or so depending what part of the country you live, since you don't want the moisture to get inside the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: CurbCrawler
#4 ·
I just got done flushing out my power steering for the second time. I do it about every 50K right now. Its very easy to do and very fast if you have 2 people. I have bleed out my brakes several times to keep the fluid fresh. Keep up with the maintenance and it will last a long long time :)

#6 ·
I flushed steering at 112K, but brake seemed ok. What are some signs you should do brake fluid?

#7 ·
It's only common sense that PS & brake systems must be flushed (dirt, fluid breakdown, moisture and particulate material wear will occur). I just did the PS system last week at 81K and used Dexron VI, which is a fully synthetic fluid and backward compatible with previous versions to III. The brake system (DOT-3) will be done when it warms up. All fluids in the vehicle must be flushed, some sooner than others, if the system is highly dynamic then sooner and more frequent, if more static, then a bit later and less often as a general rule of thumb with the exception of the engine and possibly the cooling system!

#9 ·
I want to add both steering and trans cooling. Any recommendations on cooling unit that incorporates two, one for transmission and one for steering but integrated for installation?

#10 ·
I flush my Brake fluid every 2 years. The cost of a new master cylinder is crazy expensive. Brake fluid is cheap. I also flush my Power steering fluid while i'm at it too.

#13 ·
I have no clue. It's probably been at least ten years since I had that done and I haven't had the FJ in five years.

#20 ·
I`ll see if I can make a video next time I do this. It literally takes about 15 seconds and the entire power steering system is flushed. Its very fast and you need to have 2 people so when I yell shut it off its off quick. I pour new fluid in the resivoir as fast as it flowing into the two liter bottle I`m using to catch the old fluid. :)

#23 ·
i would not recommend starting the engine to do the psf. in fact this is the 1st time ive ever even seen someone admit doing that. just jack the truck up from the center point and turn the wheels. remove as much fluid as you can 1st, then disconnect the smaller return line and put it in a container, then plug the hole you just made and re fill the reservoir, turn the wheel from one side to the other until the new fluid is filling the container. put the hose back on, top it off and turn the wheels again. theres no reason to start the car.

#22 ·
how the hell are you guys able to pour the brake and psf into those tiny holes? did the original owners get toyota branded mini funnels or something with the keys? coming from someone whos only ever owned honda or jeep, i was shocked when i pulled the caps and looked into the reservoirs. i thought i was drunk when i checked the washer fluid and there was a freaking kids bubble maker dipstick thing attached. are all toyotas weird like this?

#27 ·
My concern in removing the hoses, is that the plastic pipe nipple will break off. They look delicate and hoses can get quite stuck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.