Code P0420 Bank 1: Which O2 Sensor Do I Replace? - Page 4 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Maintenance Tech This forum is for discussion of all aspects of maintenance that should be performed on the FJ Cruiser to keep it operating at maximum efficiency.

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: Code P0420 Bank 1: Which O2 Sensor Do I Replace?

Quote:
SilvFx previously said: View Post
did you go back to post #6 in this thread from FJtest and ensure all those things...such as MAF cleaned properly, no leaks between airbox and MAF, new spark plugs, proper compression....etc? And you have replaced all 4 sensors (2 air fuel and 2 O2)?

What did you resolve with the K&N filter? Is it an oiled filter?....maybe I missed that response earlier and if so my apologies.
Yessir!

MAF has been cleaned properly
No leaks between airbox and MAF
New spark plugs (denso iridiums)
Compression test has not been done
Only the bank 1 sensors have been replaced since the car was not throwing P0430 (bank 2/ driver side)

In regards to the air filter, it is oiled. The filter was one of the items I replaced prior to the light initially coming on and I wasn't sure if it caused any issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 10:19 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 1374 Post(s)

FJT:I still get the feeling that you're shot-gunning this problem, don't have a good enough understanding of the OBDII monitoring system to properly interpret the code data, and are moving a little too quickly on the expensive cat replacement.

For instance, you originally said you had a "random misfire" code, and "corrected" it by cleaning the MAF. In the absence of other severe engine problems, a dirty MAF would almost never be capable of causing a random misfire.

LT: I must be mistaken. I was under the guise that the MAF is what tells the ECU what the air/fuel mixture should be based on ambient conditions. If the car is running too lean or rich wouldn't the ECU read that as a misfire? It was code P0300.

FJT: Incorrect. The MAF sensor (mass airflow sensor) ONLY provides information on the mass of air molecules passing through the throttle body, irrespective of air temperature or absolute pressure (altitude). The engine ECU takes the output from the MAF, the engine coolant temperature sensor, the intake air temperature sensor, both channels of the throttle posiion sensor, the exhaust air-fuel sensor, and multiple other sensors to determine the amount of fuel that needs to be injected to maintain the desired 14.7:1 air-fuel ratio. If ANY of these sensors are providing erroneous outputs to the ECU, the air-fuel ratio may be incorrect.

The P0300 fault code indicates that a random/multiple cylinder misfire was detected. This is usually related to an ignition system fault, not a mixture control fault. However, defective spark plugs, defective ignition coil(s), defective crankshaft position sensor, defective/damaged wiring, incorrect valve clearance, defective head gasket, could all be factors to a P0300.

And you thought that replacing the gas cap could possibly have an effect on a P040 code?? A leaking gap cap seal would trigger an OBD code relating to the evaporative emissions control system, NOT the fuel feedback system or catalytic converter efficiency.

LT: There are only a hand full of possibilities with code P0420. Using process of elimination, both sensors have been replaced and the code still comes back on. After analyzing my actions, the only delta that has occurred in between the CEL coming on is after refueling. Which is why I decided to give the gas cap a try. It's a $10 risk I was willing to take.

FJT: Incorrect, there are MANY factors and conditions that can trigger or contribute to a P0420 condition. Regardless, the fault code associated with a loose or damaged gas cap would be an evaporative emissions fault, not a misfire or catalytic converter efficiency code

What are you going to do if the P040 code comes back 2-3 driving cycles after replacing the cat?

LT: Since both sensors have been replaced there can only be two possibilities left.
1) Bad Cat
2) Leaky exhaust
If the gasket between the manifold and the block is weak it could be introducing air into the system causing the sensor to
trigger the code

If I replace the cat, the gaskets will be replaced as well. This should eliminate all possibilities, unless I should factor in vacuum leak. [/B]

FJT: OMG no, as stated above there are literally at LEAST a dozen more additional faults or conditions that can affect mixture control and trigger the codes associated with catalytic converter efficiency.

There are MANY more diagnostic tests, measurements and evaluations that you should do before spending $1,000+ on replacing a "suspected" bad cat.

LT: I’m open to other tests and happy to try them. Can you please provide examples?

Providing a complete working knowledge of how fuel-feedback systems work, and how to troubleshoot them is far beyond the scope of what can be accomplished in a few forum posts. I suggest that you search for "factory service manual" on this forum to see where you can download the complete (180 meg) 2007 FSM. Or, look at the "Technical Documents" section at the PureFJCruiser website and download the relevant sections of the manual from there. There is a tremendous amount of information in the manual on the Emission Control System, the Sequential Fuel Injection System, how everything works, how to check sensor outputs, etc. At a minimum you need a an OBDII code reader, a high-quality digital multimeter, and for some measurements you will need a lab oscilloscope or other type of diagnostic tester.

Lastly, did you run a CARFAX before purchasing the vehicle, or look at any other documentation that would verify the indicated mileage? If the cat is truly bad, I would suspect that the 89K mileage shown on the odometer is not correct.

LT: The CARFAX came back clean and passed emissions every time. Based on my research, every thing P0420 related was either resolved with replaced sensors or cat. I did notice that there's corrosion in the pipes. Could that have caused it to go bad? I've owned cars with more mileage and none of them had cats that went bad. The only thing the owner did different was take it off roading or water crossings.

FJT: Off-roading or water-crossing should not have damaged the front cats. Again, I suspect that your cats are fine, and that your "low cat converter efficiency" code is caused by some other fault that you have not yet isolated.

Since the VERY LAST thing you did before the CEL came on was to change the air filter, re-install the OEM filter and see if that has any effect. Normally it shouldn't. but as part of the troubleshooting process you always "reverse" any recent changes that were made immediately prior to a new problem appearing.

Last edited by FJtest; 09-21-2018 at 01:50 PM.
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

If you do get the cats replaced...please take pics of the old ones on the inside. I want to see the condition of the mesh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Alrighty, so the OBD 2 scanner came in the mail. When I ran the emissions tests, it says shows that my cat failed, evap system failed, and oxygen sensor failed.

Watched more YouTube videos to try to understand the readings. Sat in the car and monitored the changes to see if any numbers stood out or deviated far from what was observed up or down.

First thing I noticed that the Oxygen sensor 2 Bank 1 voltage stayed constant at around 0.43 V in comparison the Sensor 2 Bank 2's voltage would oscillate.

In the other image, you'll that on sensor 1 wide range current, it dipped down to -.01mA.

Does this tell us anything or should I be monitoring something else as well?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5846.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	1054284   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5845.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	1054286  

Last edited by LorenzeTorres; 09-20-2018 at 08:18 PM.
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 10:41 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

Iíll let others chime in as far as diagnosing the problem. However, Iíll ask an obvious question. The condition above is with the error codes cleared right. Otherwise you may be in limp mode. Meaning the cpu knows there a problem and is not really reacting normal to the input signals. Iím just clarifying so someone with more experience in this area can interpret the readings.
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Update: Car has been driven a few several hundred miles after cat was replaced... NO MORE CEL!

I had the local Toyota speciality shop look into it, and check if there were any potential causes that were obvious. No internal coolant leaks, injectors seemed to be fine they said, no issue with spark or air.

Truck passed smog too!

At this moment, we can say that this is solved. As to what caused the issue, I'm not 100% sure. We'll just have to wait and see if the same CEL comes up again.
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 07:37 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)

did you have them save the manifold/cat? Any pics from inside of it?
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
SilvFx previously said: View Post
did you have them save the manifold/cat? Any pics from inside of it?
Hi everybody! Just a quick update, 4,000 miles in and no CEL/ Christmas tree.

I've also attached a few images of the inside of the cat. It looks fine to me, but there could've been blockage or damage on the other end.

Thank you everyone for all your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5861.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	263.9 KB
ID:	1056500   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5862.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	386.0 KB
ID:	1056502  
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Just a friendly update everybody, nearly 20,000 miles and still no code. Car is running strong.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Maintenance Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in