light brake pedal pulse - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Maintenance Tech This forum is for discussion of all aspects of maintenance that should be performed on the FJ Cruiser to keep it operating at maximum efficiency. Advertisement

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Question light brake pedal pulse

I've been chasing down some strange feedback at the brake pedal for a few weeks. All started after returning from a trip to Colorado, it rained epic amounts on the way there and back but they symptoms only surfaced after I made it home. Feels is very similar to ABS or when ATRAC activates but not nearly as aggressive. It mostly occurs with light breaking at 20 MPH or lower but can not be produced consistently. My first thought was a rotor with some run-out so I swapped all of the brake wear components, sadly no change. The speedometer also has occasional irregular behavior mostly above 60 MPH where the needle jumps around +/- 3 MPH. When this occurs cruise control is still available but no fun to use.

Dash Lights - None of the typical trio lights are lit up. No ABS or a check engine either.

Codes - Had the truck scanned at O'Reilly's a couple times and it showed faults with both rear wheel speed sensors. All have been cleared with the reader but I suspect they will be back.

Parts Changed
4 new rotors
4 new pads
4 brake sensors not new but from a working vehicle. Thanks @RichJacot

Service - Cleaned sensors at all 4 corners and removed the grease from their mounting holes. Disconnected, cleaned and inspected wheel speed connectors and where the 2 rear meets the harness above the passenger spring. All were cleaned with QD contact cleaner spray. No breaks or obvious damage to the wires or connectors. Cleaned/Polished the plunger assembly in the brake accumulator.

Here is what we have done to "fix" it and where it gets weird.
***incorrect***Unplugged the black connector at the hydraulic brake booster and all symptoms are gone but at the cost of no ATRAC (possibly more) and the brake indicator light is on. I believe this is the Skid Control Unit that is integrated? into the brake booster.

Has anyone seen this and know a solution? If it turns out to be the brake booster how difficult is the swap?

Thanks,
J
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181028_171713.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	1057738   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181028_171558.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	1057740  

Last edited by istambull; 01-03-2019 at 07:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Re: light brake pedal pulse

Forgot to mention there were a few times in there where traction control lit up while driving on straight and dry ground but I haven't seen it since.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 04:58 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)

This may sound crazy at first read but I have experienced it first hand. A wheel bearing starting to go out will start to shed very fine metal "dust". That metal will work its way into the wheel sensor area and cause false readings. Obviously that may not be your problem but it is a place to checkout. You won't be able to simply pull the sensor and wipe off and say your done. Pull the wheel and inspect the wheel bearing with your eyes and feel it by spinning with your fingers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
HERSOG and istambull like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Sparky of SoCal previously said: View Post
This may sound crazy at first read but I have experienced it first hand. A wheel bearing starting to go out will start to shed very fine metal "dust". That metal will work its way into the wheel sensor area and cause false readings. Obviously that may not be your problem but it is a place to checkout. You won't be able to simply pull the sensor and wipe off and say your done. Pull the wheel and inspect the wheel bearing with your eyes and feel it by spinning with your fingers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Funny you should say that, I have two front bearings due for delivery today. One side has obvious play the other will get swapped regardless. There is no noticeable play at the rear on either side, fingers crossed the front is the culprit despite the codes pointing to the rear.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 10:12 AM
Forum Veteran

light brake pedal pulse

I understand your codes pointed to the rears. Still a factor tor consider. I simply donít trust the primitive code structure with the FJ so I also factor that in. I wonít rule something out just because of what codes may or may not show up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
I understand your codes pointed to the rears. Still a factor tor consider. I simply donít trust the primitive code structure with the FJ so I also factor that in. I wonít rule something out just because of what codes may or may not show up.

Codes were for the rear but the bearings are relatively fresh as its a replacement axle form Currie. I suppose they could have been from a bad lot or damaged when pressed on.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:

Correct the codes were for the rear but the bearings are presumed to be relatively fresh as its a replacement axle from Currie. I suppose they could have been from a bad lot or damaged when pressed on.

Is there a more scientific way of testing the rear bearings beyond rocking the wheels or spinning it and checking for odd sounds? I'm not opposed to swapping the rear too but the parts cost is adding up and the job isn't quick.

Last edited by istambull; 01-03-2019 at 08:04 AM.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Significant improvement after last night's swap but still not 100%. At least I'm back to having all electrical components connected. Hope to change the other in a couple days then if need be I'll move to the rear.

Anyone know how long the codes remain after clearing them? Zapped them on Sunday but have only logged about 30 miles since then.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181030_193536.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	1071544  

Last edited by istambull; 03-14-2019 at 07:42 AM.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 08:26 AM
Forum Veteran

Quote:
istambull previously said: View Post
Correct the codes were for the rear but the bearings are relatively fresh as its a replacement axle form Currie. I suppose they could have been from a bad lot or damaged when pressed on.

Is there a more scientific way of testing the rear bearings beyond rocking the wheels or spinning it and checking for odd sounds? I'm not opposed to swapping the rear too but the parts cost is adding up and the job isn't quick.

The key to my suggesting to check the front bearings is the metallic dust that a worn bearing may produce. That metallic compound is conductive and will at times lead to false readings issued by the wheel sensor. The rears are built a little different. You have new parts back there.
Your codes suggest a problem originated in the back. That is important and needs to be considered.
Because I donít believe the software that is used to monitor data and produce the codes is not foolproof and when you are trouble shooting that needs to be considered when the errors can not be isolated.

post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Your codes suggest a problem originated in the back. That is important and needs to be considered.
delaying the inevitable while picking the low hanging fruit...

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Maintenance Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in