Oil Cooler Hose Leaking! Need help troubleshooting. - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Maintenance Tech This forum is for discussion of all aspects of maintenance that should be performed on the FJ Cruiser to keep it operating at maximum efficiency.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Oil Cooler Hose Leaking! Need help troubleshooting.

Hey guys I need some help troubleshooting a leak (or leaks) in what appears both my inlet and outlet oil cooler hoses. I noticed the leak about 6 months ago so I pulled both hoses (part # 32943-60550 and 32943-60550) and measured the ID and OD and took the dimensions to my local auto parts store. I was able to get the a couple hoses with a similar ID but they didn’t have the bends like the OEM. I hooked them up and all was well until yesterday when I noticed that the leak was back! I’m wondering if this is as simple as ordering the OEM hoses online (which are ridiculously expensive for hoses) and new clamps or could this be a problem with the hose(s) attachment to the reservoir? Or could this be something else completely?! I was wondering if anyone else has had a problem with this? Please let me know what your thoughts are and here are some pics to help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BFE89054-2150-49C1-B647-5A01125F363F_1550617922399.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	1068562   Click image for larger version

Name:	EA5EB8E1-62DE-4829-900F-F612A7E6FDE2_1550617949122.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	255.0 KB
ID:	1068564   Click image for larger version

Name:	5E52764A-40A4-4E6B-8E29-A421909ECB5D_1550617972155.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	1068566   Click image for larger version

Name:	76E662FC-486F-4CE0-969B-B089F210548C_1550617994954.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	282.6 KB
ID:	1068568  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 04:46 PM
pop
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Re: Oil Cooler Hose Leaking! Need help troubleshooting.

These are trans oil lines correct ? Looks like the oil is coming from braided line sleeving not the fittings. This a prior to 2010 and the oil filter is on the top correct? Looks like you did not catch the oil when changing the filter.

Last edited by pop; 02-19-2019 at 04:48 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 05:04 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1772 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

G'Day,
The pixs indicate the leaks are from your transmission cooler lines, not your engine.
so are you sure its engine oil ...or is it ATF ?
They do smell different, an easy way to tell.... ATF is almost a sweet smell.

If its engine oil ...is it possible you dripped a bit when changing your engine oil ?

If its ATF leaking
The hose connected to the hard tubes looks to me to be a bit short on the hard pipe...can you get more of it onto the hard pipe - not easy I know.... but getting a better / longer rubber seal onto the hard line might be all it needs....
On the Radiator the transmission outlet line ( from the tranny ) is the upper hose - the lower hose is the return line to the tranny...
hope you didnt get them mixed up when you replaced the hoses..... Did you allow for flex n bend in the length of the new hoses.... as they are not molded to shape - they need a bit extra length.
Clamps look good...OE ...and appear to be tight n doing the job.... as long as you get the hose down past the lip/ridge on the hard line and clamp under / after the lip....

Good luck...
Baz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
pop previously said: View Post
These are trans oil lines correct ? Looks like the oil is coming from braided line sleeving not the fittings. This a prior to 2010 and the oil filter is on the top correct? Looks like you did not catch the oil when changing the filter.
Yes that’s correct. They’re the trans oil hoses that have a connection to the driver side reservoir and two hard lines. They’re leaking ATF not oil and yes it’s 2008 AT w/ almost 200,000 miles. It regards to it being oil not caught by changing the filter, I thought the same thing the first time I noticed the leak/liquid running down my hoses but with closure inspection it was ATF.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 06:37 PM
pop
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)

Looks like the leak is the hose connection in the first pic and maybe a little in the third. Take it to a carwash and clean the connections off. Then we can look for fresh atf.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)
[QUOTE=bazross;9187180]G'Day,
The pixs indicate the leaks are from your transmission cooler lines, not your engine.
so are you sure its engine oil ...or is it ATF ?
They do smell different, an easy way to tell.... ATF is almost a sweet smell.

If its engine oil ...is it possible you dripped a bit when changing your engine oil ?

If its ATF leaking
The hose connected to the hard tubes looks to me to be a bit short on the hard pipe...can you get more of it onto the hard pipe - not easy I know.... but getting a better / longer rubber seal onto the hard line might be all it needs....
On the Radiator the transmission outlet line ( from the tranny ) is the upper hose - the lower hose is the return line to the tranny...
hope you didnt get them mixed up when you replaced the hoses..... Did you allow for flex n bend in the length of the new hoses.... as they are not molded to shape - they need a bit extra length.
Clamps look good...OE ...and appear to be tight n doing the job.... as long as you get the hose down past the lip/ridge on the hard line and clamp under / after the lip....

Good luck...
Baz

Good evening Baz! Yes you’re correct, they’re coming from the trans cooler lines and fluid is ATF (of course). The hoses I put on are not OE and not molded. I don’t believe I mixed the inlet and outlet but from what I remember they had the same ID and OD. The difference between the two is, of course, the molding which at the time I didn’t think mattered all too much lol. I did allow for the extra bend and length of both hoses and that’s why I didn’t think it would of mattered much. Maybe I didn’t put the rubber lines over the hardline enough. When I removed the OE rubber lines they weren’t over that ridge/nipple so that could be the problem right there. Also I did want to note that my ATF was about a cm below it’s original fill line.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 07:06 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 2513 Post(s)
Garage

I have Gates 5/16" ID transmission cooler lines going to my cooler and its worked just fine for years.

You have Gates 3270 which is for conveying coolant only!!!! Not for oil. Replace it with something better.

Oil Cooler Hose Leaking! Need help troubleshooting.-4.jpg
bazross likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 07:08 PM
Forum Superstar

Garage

Quote:
GoodFellaAZ previously said: View Post

Good evening Baz! Yes youíre correct, theyíre coming from the trans cooler lines and fluid is ATF (of course). The hoses I put on are not OE and not molded. I donít believe I mixed the inlet and outlet but from what I remember they had the same ID and OD. The difference between the two is, of course, the molding which at the time I didnít think mattered all too much lol. I did allow for the extra bend and length of both hoses and thatís why I didnít think it would of mattered much. Maybe I didnít put the rubber lines over the hardline enough. When I removed the OE rubber lines they werenít over that ridge/nipple so that could be the problem right there. Also I did want to note that my ATF was about a cm below itís original fill line.
G'day Mate,
Like Pop mentioned above, clean the lines and try to identify where its leaking.... could be each end of each tube is leaking, or just 1 or 2.
The Radiator connections show that there isnt a leak at the end of the hose at the joint... its past the end of the connector - almost... which could indicate a cut or tear at the clamp...
The bottom of the hoses need to go well down onto the hardlines.... past the ridge ...this might also solve part of the issue, but the top lines are still showing leakage....

Putting the hoses on the wrong hardline, isn't ideal... but isn't a huge issue...it just means the ATF is entering the radiator in the wrong direction.... but will still work.... I'll take a look at mine and see if there is an easy method to confirm which hardline is the return..... I doubt this has anything to do with the leak....
Cheers
Baz
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
bazross previously said: View Post
Quote:
GoodFellaAZ previously said: View Post

Good evening Baz! Yes you’re correct, they’re coming from the trans cooler lines and fluid is ATF (of course). The hoses I put on are not OE and not molded. I don’t believe I mixed the inlet and outlet but from what I remember they had the same ID and OD. The difference between the two is, of course, the molding which at the time I didn’t think mattered all too much lol. I did allow for the extra bend and length of both hoses and that’s why I didn’t think it would of mattered much. Maybe I didn’t put the rubber lines over the hardline enough. When I removed the OE rubber lines they weren’t over that ridge/nipple so that could be the problem right there. Also I did want to note that my ATF was about a cm below it’s original fill line.
G'day Mate,
Like Pop mentioned above, clean the lines and try to identify where its leaking.... could be each end of each tube is leaking, or just 1 or 2.
The Radiator connections show that there isnt a leak at the end of the hose at the joint... its past the end of the connector - almost... which could indicate a cut or tear at the clamp...
The bottom of the hoses need to go well down onto the hardlines.... past the ridge ...this might also solve part of the issue, but the top lines are still showing leakage....

Putting the hoses on the wrong hardline, isn't ideal... but isn't a huge issue...it just means the ATF is entering the radiator in the wrong direction.... but will still work.... I'll take a look at mine and see if there is an easy method to confirm which hardline is the return..... I doubt this has anything to do with the leak....
Cheers
Baz
[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/images/smilies/blueblob.gif[/IMG]
I made sure that inlet and outline lines went to the inlet and outlet hardlines. I made double sure of that but I’ll triple check. I’ll look at my maintenance guide too to make it absolute. Running the hose over the ridge on the bottom will definitely solve that leak but the top leak is a unknown so I’ll check for tears. I’m going to order the OE hoses and clamps just to be on the safe side. In the meantime I’ll give the engine bay a good cleaning like Pop said and watch for where the leak is coming from.
bazross likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 07:28 PM
Forum Superstar

Garage

The return hose to the return hardline is the outer of the two hardlines, closest to the left side and wheel.
At least on a 2010 model.... can't imagine its different for an 08.

Good idea to swap out the hoses with OE, even if slightly more expensive.... peace of mind....and alot cheaper than replacing your transmission

Cheers
Baz

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Maintenance Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in