'08 just bought, what "catch-up" maintenance is needed? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Maintenance Tech This forum is for discussion of all aspects of maintenance that should be performed on the FJ Cruiser to keep it operating at maximum efficiency.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By debFJVT
  • 1 Post By xcomp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
'08 just bought, what "catch-up" maintenance is needed?

I just left the lot of a Toyota dealer in my "new" FJ. It has just under 70,000 miles, looks mechanically and structurally good. I am more concerned about what maintenance wasn't done to it and what I should do now to catch up what may have been forgotten. This will hopefully be a 10+ year car for me.

It is a 1 owner Arizona only car from what I cam tell. Only problem is the only maintenance records i can find are the first service at the dealer at 5k-ish miles and what the dealer has done now.

What should I get done to make sure this will last?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 06:53 PM
MOAB SUPERSTAR

Mentioned: 212 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: '08 just bought, what "catch-up" maintenance is needed?

Welcome! Have you tried to access records through the Toyota owners website using your VIN? It’s a good idea to do catch up maintenance, even if you do have the records - it’s like a reset For a really thourough job with an eye to longevity, recommend you swap all the fluids: both diffs, transfer case, transmission (I have the dealship do this and make sure Toyota World Standard is used), coolant, brake fluid flush, and do the engine oil every 3k mi. Swap spark plugs and grease all 6 zerks on the driveshaft. Is it stock or modified? Lucky you, getting an AZ FJ....no rust I’ll bet Would love to see pics!
Hannibal likes this.

Member of the Month November 2016

TLCA# 25170
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 08:00 PM
A-Team Moderator

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Quoted: 2632 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Like the Lady said, all of it and check the serpentine belt too.

Welcome to the party pal!

2011 NSSE

トヨタ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
debFJVT previously said: View Post
Welcome! Have you tried to access records through the Toyota owners website using your VIN? Itís a good idea to do catch up maintenance, even if you do have the records - itís like a reset For a really thourough job with an eye to longevity, recommend you swap all the fluids: both diffs, transfer case, transmission (I have the dealship do this and make sure Toyota World Standard is used), coolant, brake fluid flush, and do the engine oil every 3k mi. Swap spark plugs and grease all 6 zerks on the driveshaft. Is it stock or modified? Lucky you, getting an AZ FJ....no rust Iíll bet Would love to see pics!
Has little to no rust. No fender bulge. No scrapes underneath at all.

The dealer did some maintenance, weather stripping, some fluids, plugs, and some other stuff, forgot the papers there...

Its completely stock. Only problem is clearcoat and paint fading, and some parts have been painted (I think only the hood)

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
debFJVT likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 05:51 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)

awesome find!

Note that if you live where they use any road salt at all, you will want to apply protection to the frame and suspension pieces to protect them before they start to rust.

Key focus areas: all of the welds, and any sharp corners because the black factory coating simply cannot protect welds, or sharp corners well, so they start rusting first. Also, inside of the frame rails.

Ideal treatment: apply to all of the black parts a topcoat paint + undercoating + wax + fluid film/boeshield, in that order.

N

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Maintenance Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in