80,831 miles until 1st brake job! - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Maintenance Tech This forum is for discussion of all aspects of maintenance that should be performed on the FJ Cruiser to keep it operating at maximum efficiency.

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 06:19 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Garage
Re: 80,831 miles until 1st brake job!

So for you folks that have the big mileage on original brakes do you have long commutes without hardly having to use the brakes? I have heavy traffic and mountain driving so my brakes don`t last long at all

Steve.... 07 FJ with almost enough mods.... August 2017 Member of the month
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 07:54 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

Quote:
Sanderhawk previously said: View Post
So for you folks that have the big mileage on original brakes do you have long commutes without hardly having to use the brakes? I have heavy traffic and mountain driving so my brakes don`t last long at all
You are right - my 2013 FJ TT has 25k miles. Hardly drive it these days I think my brakes will last a while...or I will sell it (1st owner here :-)). My commuter is a 2014 Corolla and I get 39.6 mpg (average over last 2.5 years) -winter gas sucks. I commute 51.5 miles each way when I go to the office. 46+ miles of that are interstate cruising. My brakes will last a while.

Where/how your miles are put on determine your brake wear. No more. No less.
Sanderhawk likes this.
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 09:36 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1462 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to mikey
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
50/50

IMO having a 6MT helps as well.

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says WTF

"It's not easy being Green"
Kermit the Frog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

Quote:
FoxtrotJuliet previously said: View Post
You are right - my 2013 FJ TT has 25k miles. Hardly drive it these days I think my brakes will last a while...or I will sell it (1st owner here :-)). My commuter is a 2014 Corolla and I get 39.6 mpg (average over last 2.5 years) -winter gas sucks. I commute 51.5 miles each way when I go to the office. 46+ miles of that are interstate cruising. My brakes will last a while.

Where/how your miles are put on determine your brake wear. No more. No less.
HOW you drive is imo the #1 factor in brake issues i dont care how far or short your drive is, highway or city. my wife has had warped rotor issues on every car she has ever owned and been the primary driver on. all the way from a late 90s civic, 2 different accords and most recently a 2012 pilot. thats all im going to say about that lol
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Mountain driving will kill brakes, yes. The FJ will downshift if coasting a lot to try to keep your speed, but not very effective I've noticed. Our '16 Sienna does the same with cruise control on.

The first 40k was mostly interstate with the spouse driving 30mi each way to school and back. The last 40k was mostly me on back roads in upstate NY, with a number of small hills. The vehicle rarely gets over 45/50mph on these roads. IOW, a 5 mile commute takes about 15 minutes with all the red lights and stop signs.

I contribute our distance in brakes in the way we drive - we coast up to almost every light, even if it is green. I know the timing of most of the lights in the area, and some you just know will turn yellow/red before you get to them, so I'll coast down from 45 mph down to 35, well before the yellow light - and then it turns yellow, red and I finally am down to 15mph or so before tapping the brakes a bit.

Eric A. Duncan - http://eduncan911.com

* Build an ultra-horsepower street car: Check - 96 Cobra 'Vert, 692rwhp, road-race setup
* Get airborne in rally car: Check - MINI Cooper S 'Vert in the TN Smokies near Deal's Gap

Next up, rock climbing and the great outdoors (maybe I'm getting old/slowing down): FJ Cruiser Black Cherry

Just stock w/ factory options: 4WD AT UP2 RDL EMO-C CVNC-PKG ABAG SHLD-PKG
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Coming back to update the first post...

After taking everything apart, the front pads were only worn about 50%. It was the rear pads that were gone! And I really mean, gone! One of the pads was completely missing - the caliper itself was grinding directly into rotor!

Surprisingly, the e-brake shoes were mostly like new - hardly any wear at all. Considering i used them mostly for the stopping the last 20k miles, I expected them to be shot.

I bought the one-level down gold/platinum level pads from Advanced Auto. Wasn't bad really. The calipers were $90 ea + $75 core charge. I replaced all 4 calipers and all 4 rotors, as well as as the rear e-brake shoes as well as a "e-brake" repair kit with new springs and trinkets. I think all in all was about $550 for parts, including flushing all fluid out. Much better than the $2800 quote I got from the dealer, which didn't even include the e-brake shoes.

One of the pistons in both front rotors were seized. Took me 2 C-clamps I "bent" trying to squeeze them back in until I just gave up and WTF it. Went online and found out about the very common issue here on these forums. Argh! That was a lot of time wasted - as I only had 1 car for a few days. When the spouse got back from a weekend trip, I finally was able to run out and get the front two calipers. Was already replacing one rear and said oh well, I'll replace the one other rear - just so I have all 4 new ones.

And I properly adjusted the e-brake and I now it holds rock solid.

* Build an ultra-horsepower street car: Check - 96 Cobra 'Vert, 692rwhp, road-race setup
* Get airborne in rally car: Check - MINI Cooper S 'Vert in the TN Smokies near Deal's Gap

Next up, rock climbing and the great outdoors (maybe I'm getting old/slowing down): FJ Cruiser Black Cherry

Last edited by eduncan911; 08-05-2019 at 09:32 PM.
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

(deleted - these forums are having a lot of problems tonight, lots of "database timeout" errors popping up)

post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 09:31 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)

Not to change the subject...I have 70k on mine but have a front left caliper that is sticking. I noticed when I rotated the tires and the inside pad was almost to minimum while the outside pad was barely worn. The caliper should be covered under my warranty. My thought is to go with TRD pads and I will possibly need a pair of front rotors. Does anyone put braided brake lines on their FJ?

2014 Quicksand
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Overboost44 previously said: View Post
Not to change the subject...I have 70k on mine but have a front left caliper that is sticking. I noticed when I rotated the tires and the inside pad was almost to minimum while the outside pad was barely worn. The caliper should be covered under my warranty. My thought is to go with TRD pads and I will possibly need a pair of front rotors. Does anyone put braided brake lines on their FJ?
Hijack away!

Unless you are turning the rotors yourself (working a dealership does have some perks), I would always put on new rotors with new pads.

That's one hell of a warranty being 2014 was the last year of the FJs!

post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 05:11 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
80,831 miles until 1st brake job!

Agree with @eduncan911 on the rotors 100%.

Goodridge makes a set of stainless front lines for the FJ, I installed them on my rig last year. They’re sold as a StopTech set, part #950.44507.

2014 GSJ15L-GKASKA 2LF AT | TRD TTUE Suspension | BFG AT KO 285/70/17 | CompuStar Pro T11 Remote Start

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Maintenance Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in