They Broke my FJ, Where to go from Here? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Maintenance Tech This forum is for discussion of all aspects of maintenance that should be performed on the FJ Cruiser to keep it operating at maximum efficiency.

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
They Broke my FJ, Where to go from Here?

Maintenance required light came on so I got a case of Mobil 1 plus one quart and a NAPA Gold filter cartridge to change oil.
I have for the past several years gone to Meineke to have them change the oil and lube.

The tech came into the waiting room and showed me a stripped skid plat bolt and said they broke the other three off.
They could drill them out and re-tap them in about an hour.
I passed as it was a Meineke that crossed threaded or striped them with an impact wrench before...no thanks.

With the skid plate in the back I was wondering where I went from here.

1) Any tips and or tricks for getting stripped screws out?

2) Is now the time to upgrade the skid plate?
Is there a slid plate that is "about" the same weight but has an access port so they don't have to drop the entire skid plat to change the oil?
The factory plate has been adequate and don't want to add a bunch of weight to the truck (it has already dropped from 20 plus MPG to 17 MPG) so what is out there as upgrade options?
I roll on mainly logging and mining roads so a tough as nails skid plate is not necessarily required BUT if there is one out there that is about the same weight, much tougher and allows access to change oil without removing the skid plate I would switch in a heart beat.

Thank you
Pat
Datajockeys and DallasDiy like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 09:19 AM
MOAB SUPERSTAR

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: They Broke my FJ, Where to go from Here?

RCI has openings for oils in their design and are very stout. They also make aluminum plates which save on weight...but not on cost. However they usually will give a Forum discount when asked. Awesome company! Your bad experience is why I either do it my self or insist on being in the garage whenever possible. GL!

Member of the Month November 2016

TLCA# 25170

Last edited by debFJVT; 08-25-2019 at 03:20 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

It was supposed to be a quick in and out...so much for depending on others I guess.
Datajockeys likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 09:54 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 1365 Post(s)

It is ABSOLUTELY essential that ALL undercarriage bolts that might ever have to be removed (skid plates, sliders, etc.) have their threads liberally coated with anti-seize. Toyota's use of projection-welded weld-nuts is not the most robust or reliable means of providing threads in relatively thin sheet metal (frame rails & cross-members), and preventing thread galling and seizure is crucial to prevent broken bolts & torn-out weld nuts.

Another option that I have used (but still requires anti-seize) is to replace all the skid plate bolts with stainless steel fasteners. That will prevent them rusting to the nuts, but since the threaded end of the bolt projects through the nut, the threads still get filled with mud, dust, road salt, etc. unless well coated with anti-seize.

McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com) has all the required fasteners at reasonable prices, but you'll typically have to buy them in packages of 5, etc.

Skid plates that have access covers for filter change may SOUND convenient, but you still have to take them off periodically (ideally every oil change) to lube the driveshafts & U-joints.
DallasDiy likes this.

Last edited by FJtest; 08-24-2019 at 09:58 AM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

I weighed the factory skid on my bathroom scales at 14 lbs.
Here are the weights for the RCI Skids off the PureFJ.

•33lbs Steel
•17lbs Aluminum

3 lbs penalty for heavier duty skids is not bad at all.

Pat
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 08:34 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 139 Post(s)

Go aluminum and cut back on the junk food and loose 3 lbs and call it a push.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
thane, amaclach and Bluto like this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 10:13 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

+1 on anti-seize on the bolts, but I guess it is late for that advice.

I would spray the broken-off bolts with your choice of PB Blaster, trans fluid and acetone, or the like, bang it lightly with a hammer, and let it sit for a few days of driving around. Repeat for a few cycles. Then use a new and quality drill bit to drill the center out for an easy-out to back the bolt out. By my experience, the best remedy is just giving the spray some time to work, rather than expecting results in the first five minutes.

If the piece won't come out, drill it out and retap with an appropriate size. Good advice on the stainless steel hardware.

My opinion is that removing the skids, inspection and lube underneath, and re-goo-ing the bolts is a part of having a built vehicle.

Slide your floor jack under the skid, remove six bolts, drop it an slide it out of the way. We are talking about maybe four minutes of trouble. I used to HATE emptying the dishwasher. Loathed it for years. Then I TIMED how long it actually took. So much fuss over 45 seconds!

Access port? That is where the big rock will snag your skid plate and shove it backward, bending all of the mounting bolts. Relocate the oil filter if it is a big issue.

Matt B
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 01:11 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)

I run the '10 RCI front plate with access door and have tapped a few stones. All driveline zerks are accessible from side without dropping plate.
Plate is weaker with door and has bent at the thinner widths, but is nominal/very manageable. Next plate will be the same, uncoated so I can weld in some stiffeners and close corner folds.

KJ6FJC
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 11:11 PM
4-Corners Moderator

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Garage

Here is a list of the current skid plates on the market. Aluminum plates will definitely save weight and will be strong enough if you don’t plan to go super hardcore offroading with them meaning slamming them on rocks or whatever.

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ml#post8383241

Good luck!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 08:55 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
FJtest previously said: View Post
It is ABSOLUTELY essential that ALL undercarriage bolts that might ever have to be removed (skid plates, sliders, etc.) have their threads liberally coated with anti-seize. Toyota's use of projection-welded weld-nuts is not the most robust or reliable means of providing threads in relatively thin sheet metal (frame rails & cross-members), and preventing thread galling and seizure is crucial to prevent broken bolts & torn-out weld nuts.

Another option that I have used (but still requires anti-seize) is to replace all the skid plate bolts with stainless steel fasteners. That will prevent them rusting to the nuts, but since the threaded end of the bolt projects through the nut, the threads still get filled with mud, dust, road salt, etc. unless well coated with anti-seize.

McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com) has all the required fasteners at reasonable prices, but you'll typically have to buy them in packages of 5, etc.

Skid plates that have access covers for filter change may SOUND convenient, but you still have to take them off periodically (ideally every oil change) to lube the driveshafts & U-joints.
I agree with you all the way, but I decided to stay away from Stainless as the risk of galling them from an impact driver is so much more, and then they are stuck-o. =( I know to be careful and lube em up, but I worry about if someone else is doing the work.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Maintenance Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in