Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Amsoil EAO15 oil filter?

8K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Taco2FJ 
#1 ·
Any Amsoil users use the EAO15 filter instead of the smaller EAO57? It's a larger filter, like a M301 Mobil 1. The EAO57 just seems so small. :lol:

#2 ·
I used the smaller one, but I always wondered what the harm would be in using a taller filter (other than needed just a little more oil). I'm assuming that there isn't alot of variability in filter width and thread pattern, right?

#3 ·
I have not heard of any problems but cant officially recommend it to you.....given my involvement with AMSOIL.

#4 ·
I've used the EaO57 before and have been happy with it but was planning on going with the EaO15 next change.

DEWFPO

#5 ·
I dont know that you get much more from it other than volume....I would rather use the recommended one with 5w30 and only having to change oil once or twice a year at most.....dont think it is worth risking just in case.

#9 ·
Change the oil once or twice a year??? Whoa! I just can't do it, no matter what the manual says. I'm a 4,000 mile oil changer. Part habit, part overkill, part I want my FJ to last forever!

#6 ·
That may be the one I have. I need to double check. To me, larger equal more volume and filtration. I jst don't see the down side...

#8 ·
Same here. Plus, I always go with a larger filter when using synthetic. If I'm going to go longer between oil changes, I want a larger filter for better (and more) filtration).

Just remember though that you may need to add a tad more oil to compensate for the larger filter...

#7 ·
Here are a few pics of the filters.

Amsoil E015 vs. Mobil 1 M1 301

They are about the same size. Both are significantly larger then the standard oem filter.

#10 ·
I have been able to do that on my last three vehicles...one to 200,000 (Jeep Cherokee).... I got the oil samples tested for first couple years but stopped after it kept showing that I had more time I could have gone without worrying about a change.

I do once a year on motorcycle...usually put about 8k on my bike a year. Twice a year on my 4x4 if running it alot offroad or slow speed and high temps......and once a year pretty much on rest or 15,000 miles.

In the end you go with what you are comfortable with....some that is 3-4k and others is 8-10k and others is 15-18k....depends on oil, filters, and recommended intervals for your engine. If they recommend it they will stand behind it....

#13 ·
This is an old thread but I wanted to check in and see how these are working out. Is this the filter for the 2007 - 2009 (filter on top of the engine)? Or, for 2010 on?

#14 ·
This is for the 2007-2009 with the filter on top. I use the EAO34 which is in between the EAO57 (stock size) and EAO15 (large one shown in pics). It's the equivalent of the M1-209 I believe. Never had any issues.

#15 ·
Thanks, I'll have to check out the EA034 too.

#16 ·
I've been using the Eao15 for 100,000 miles now. I like being able to run longer with synthetic oil since I do oil analysis to get pretty long change intervals. No issues at all running this filter, I also put a magnet on it to get sup-micro metal shavings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.