Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Best Long Lasting Spark Plugs?

44K views 31 replies 24 participants last post by  Magneto 
#1 ·
I've been using NGK Coppers for all of my Fjs life (36k) switched 'em out...two, three times? Anyway, I've decided I want something more long term...like 30k-60k lasting ability, with the NGK Coppers I feel like I have to replace them every 7-10k to maintain optimum performance, but boy does the FJ pur when you put them in.

Can anyone recommend long-term spark plugs? Which type? Do you need to put anti-seize on them? I've been putting Anti-Seize on the NGK's but since I take them out so early, I figure it isn't really needed.

#2 ·
Can anyone recommend long-term spark plugs? Which type?
Sorry, can't help - I just use regular old Denso plugs, I'm on my 3rd new set.

Do you need to put anti-seize on them? I've been putting Anti-Seize on the NGK's but since I take them out so early, I figure it isn't really needed.
I always put a dab on every spark plug; ensures that they will come back out no matter what. Especially important when you've got steel spark plug threads in an aluminum head.

#3 · (Edited)
I would recommend E3 spark plugs. Although there is a lot of speculation about the performance value of these plugs, they have a very long lifespan. I just recently put a set of E3 in my FJ and although I wasnt looking for major performance I was hoping for something reliable. My friends who have been using E3 have put over 50,000 miles on a single set and have had no problems, inspection of the plugs showed no changes from the first time they put them in the car. I hope to get the same longevity.
Would recommend anti-seize as well.

#22 ·
Same here, I'm looking at 83k miles (bought new in 07). I called the dealership and the service guy told me I need to replace them but I remember the sales guy telling me they were long life plugs and I wouldn't need to change them till 100k. I'm kind of worried I've been sold a story.

Anyone know when the recommended change interval is?

#6 ·
NGK iridiums have lasted almost 70k in my FJ.
I have a major service coming up and will probably pull them at least to check the gap, perhaps replace them..
These were the most expensive plugs I ever bought, $12 each.

#7 ·
I just swapped out my stock plugs for the Champion Double Platinum. At 35K i had a sudden drop in performance and mileage, so figured that the plugs would be a good starting point.

I am watching them real close to see how performance and my mileage do with them in.

#8 ·
I have been extremely happy with the factory Denso's and a little anti-seize. After 30K they were only worn .001" off original spec and looked like they could go another 2 rounds before changing.

DEWFPO

#11 ·
Me too, the Denso's have like factory specs on the gap pulled at 35K :bigthumb:

I changed to a new set at 50K and the old ones were still good.

#10 ·
Plugs are pretty easy to change and cheap enough to not let it be a change deterrant. My last set of factory plugs cost~$20. That's cheaper then oil.

#12 ·
I just hit 60k not too long ago and needed to change the plugs again, not necessarily because they were insanely worn but moreso because I like to know that the plugs are definitely NOT warn beyond their service life of maximum peformance.

I went in to the parts store and got the NGK V-Power (stock plug for LH head) or so I thought. The kid actually gave me six of the wrong plugs and I did not have the common sense to check them before I left the store. Kinda figured it's not too difficult to misread a six digit number. But anyway, I had to return those and they didn't have the correct plug for the FJ in the V-Power type. Only other choices were the Iridium plugs (massive waste of $$ IMHO) and a new plug called the Denso Platinum TT. I needed plugs because my truck was apart in the driveway and the sun was setting, so I got the Denso TTs. Here is some info on those: DENSO Platinum TT

So far they seem to be a pretty good plug. I gapped them at 0.044" and put them in with a dab of anti-seize. Also added a coating of dielectric grease on all rubber parts of the coils. The regular Denso plugs I had put in around 35k came out looking decent on the electrodes, but a few of them were very corroded where the ceramic meets the steel threads (top side). So regardless of the electrode condition (which was quite good) I am glad I got those out when I did.

I cannot vouch for increase in MPG/power since they were replaced at the same time as engine oil and all gear oils, and have only had them in for about 2k miles so can't speak to long life either. But again they appeared to be well-made, gapped easily, are platinum so should last quite a while, and were reasonably priced (around $5/plug).

HTH.

#14 ·
Sorry in advance for my newbie question but do all spark plugs need to be gapped before install if so what are the specs, can any be bought that are already gapped to specs. My FJ is a DD highway vehicle, 30,000 mile coming up and planning on doing things myself and I'm probably going with the stockers but I'll keep reading and getting more suggestions. Thanks for any info.

#18 ·
I'm considering putting in the E3s. I saw an episode of Horsepower a few weeks ago on Spike TV where they wanted to test the claims of E3's manufacturer about the alleged boost in power and MPG resulting from E3s.

So they put E3s in a Chevy V8 motor (I think it was a 350, but not sure) and dyno tested the car at the rear wheels. After multiple tests they showed a marked improvement in horsepower (like 7 or 8 horsepower average) which should translate into increased MPG.

Has anybody noticed better gas mileage with the E3s installed in their FJ?

#19 ·
To put it into perspective, it depends on what the 7 or 8 HP were on top of, if it was 250 HP with a gain of 7 or 8 HO than that's a gain of ~3%. Something you are not likely to see in the mpg because so many factors affect it.

DEWFPO

#21 ·
I didn't want to start a new thread so putting my question here. The store didn't have the Denso's so I got the Autolite XP Iridiums 5325. Man, are these electrodes super thin in diameter (.6mm). Any comments on these?

Autolite :: Products : XP Xtreme Performance Spark Plugs
Iridium is a rare earth metal (it comes from meteors) and very expensive. So they only use a small amount of it for anything they are doing. Hence a very thin electrode.
HTH..

#25 ·
OE factory spark plugs on the 2007 FJ's are regular copper plugs with a Toyota recommended change interval of 30,000 miles.

I highly recommend Denso's over NGK's in this particular application.

Always refer to your owner's manual, that's what it's there for. If you don't have one, there are plenty of ways to get one. Dealer, eBay, online, free, etc....

With rare exceptions..... don't ever believe what a salesman or service writer tells you. In my experience, they are typically not trained well enough, don't have enough real-world experience, don't care enough, or aren't there long enough to give you accurate information.

DEWFPO

Reactions: Magneto
#27 ·
I've been running E3's for over 60,000 miles and they are still going strong. Better performance, smoother running, etc.

When I change it will be with another set of E3's.

Cheers,

dale

#29 ·
How many miles on them?

DEWFPO

#32 ·
My 08 gets the Denso copper plugs every 30,000,Using factory plugs is a wise choice!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.