Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Jbell's "Dark Crusader" Build

32K views 121 replies 33 participants last post by  umami 
#1 · (Edited)
Not so sure why I didn't start this a long time ago, guess I am lazy. I got my Fj christmas '07. What a surprise, I had no idea that I was getting it. The kids got done opening presents, my wife handed me an issue of the Fj Cruiser magazine that Toyota puts out at the dealer. I thought cool, thanks?
Then handed me the keys!! I thought it was a sick joke....wrong. A couple seconds later my Father-in-law pulls up in it, an awesome looking black diamond with factory rock rails and brush guard. I couldn't believe it!! Here I am completely in shock.

It took a couple of months to find this place then I got the bug. Never really been off roading before, just some mud holes with some buds, thats it. I was hooked! First mod was a Magnaflow muffler and stainless steel tip, my stuff has to sound good.:bigthumb:

After that I started on the black out. Had to get her looking good.:rocker:
IMG]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f272/JBell98/fj%20cruiser/img_0669.jpg[/IMG]

I wheeled it a bit stock, taking on my deer hunting woods and some pastures. Then came Buchanon's mudfest in Robertsville, MO.Buchanan's Mudfest What an adventure that was.:lol:
Didn't have a clue! I think I still am cleaning that nasty mud out from under her!! I slipped and slid everwhere. After this I just had to have a lift and bigger mud tires!

Well it didn't take long after and I was shopping for a lift and tires. I first went with Bilstein 5100 adjustables in the front and OME mediums in the rear. Now what tire to buy? Did as much research on here as possible and I kept coming back to Dragon's threads about the Firestone Destination Mt's. I got em and I love em!! They have a nice little hum to them and highway speeds but who cares they are a mud tire. They also are wearing very well I have a little over 30,000 on them and barely look used. Well they do have a bit of rock rash on them but nothing major.

I was really getting the itch to go wheeling. But I needed a few things first. Got myself a Cobra Cb and fabbed up a Bandi mount.

Of course I need a Hi-lift, just don't know where to put it, hmmmm. So I made this.

I bought the usual recovery gear, a 30,000 pound snatch strap, couple d-rings, shovel, hi-lift jack mate, axe on inside of rear door, cheap air compressor, blah,blah,blah.
Lets go wheelin!! I had heard that Toyota Trail Teams was going to be at "The Badlands" In Attica, Indiana. I thought that would be a great time and a great place to gain some knowledge.
I learned a ton about A-trac , how to left foot brake, climb big dunes and a bunch of other tips on off roading in general. Thanks Trail Teams:bigthumb: wish that program was still together.
More to come later.

See less See more
#81 ·
Yes you will have to make it out with us some time. We had a great time as usual.
No....its still filthy underneath....
I have mud stuffed in corners from 2 years ago you just can't hardly get it all. Make sure to clean your ac condenser and radiator fins out. I thought I had it all out til I started to over heat when I was at Wash!ta back in June. The whole bottom was still full, took forever to flush it all out. That mud hits the heat of radiators and exhaust and turns it to concrete!!

#83 ·
Thanks a lot man:cheers:
I have been working on my stereo lately, I'll have an update about that soon, just need to get some pictures taken. Getting ready to turn 45,000 on the odometer, I am a little past due on some maintenance. I will be installing spark plugs and cleaning out the KN filter next week. My fuel mileage has really gone down hill the last month I hope the plugs and a clean filter help out.

#85 ·
Hey bud , I was getting about 240-250 miles per tank, in the last month or so I have getting about 220 sometime less:( I got my denso spark plugs in the mail today, should get them on early next week, need to get a KN recharge kit also. That's good to hear about the roof rack, every little bit helps. It's amazing that a low profile rack like that one gives you that much drag? I guess there was a little extra weight added to the equation also:lol:
On another note when we going wheeling again? I am thinking sometime in Dec.? Where you want to go? We could do wash!ta again and try some harder trails.

#90 ·
HAHAHA I can't believe you went two years on that thing. I do have an extra one of those from when I was running the stock box if you want it.

I need to give MT a call and figure that out, they were a bit vague on when it would all be ready, but I can't complain since they source all of the necessary seals, build the axles, etc.

I figure we could knock it out in a day as long as we are on the ball, the hardest parts are going to be getting the CV's out and the new ones in, the other items just require nuts and bolts. The welding for the spindles is going to be a pain, the limit strap holder needs to be tacked on. Other than that I am going to source any tools I may need.

Any updates to the dark cruisader coming?

#91 ·
It would be real cool to get your lt together before our next run:bigthumb: I should be able to borrow a 110 volt welder for the gussets and I'll bring some air tools to help make things easier. Oh I will also bring a big fn slide hammer for the cv's.:rocker:
No pics of the stereo yet, maybe I'll bring the camera to work tomorrow. Sounds unbelievable though, not bad for 3 speakers.

#95 ·
Hey you bumped me more than a month ago and I missed it! Doh! No new wheeling pics, feeling kind of bummed about that. We gotta get out there!!

I hate you... and all other black roofed FJ's, you make me want to paint my roof black now

digging the rackless look also
Just do it! Paint it so you won't hate me any more!:lol: I like the bald look also to tell you the truth but I am in the process of saving up for a rack. It's pretty much a must have at this point or else I need to get something bigger.
Great looking rig!:bigthumb:
Cool man, thanks for the compliment and the bump!:bigthumb:

Working on getting some fog lights in the ARB this week. I am a collector of fog lights, headlights, LED's off of wrecked vehicles that come in the shop and get these lights replaced. I was going through my fog lights and came across a pair Grand Am fog's that were in perfect shape and looked like they would fit.....they did, really well in fact. I do have to build a simple mounting bracket to get them to bolt up but no biggie. Should have them all done soon and I'll post up some pics.

#94 ·
Great looking rig!:bigthumb:

#110 ·
Nice rig man, like the mods they really add to the look to your FJ, I just got myself into this with purchasing one three weeks ago and you gave me a bunch of ideas and ingenius ways of not spending every dollar i make to get it trail ready. Im across the river in eureka by Six Flags; those storms the last few days have been nuts heard a twister was by you guys earlier today, hope everyones ok!

#117 ·
Little update here. Upgraded to my first set of all terrains on the ole girl! Bfgoodrich Ko2 295/75/16. Ive ran two sets of Firestone Destination m/ts over the last 9 years. Haven't really put these tires to the test yet off road but they are fantastic on the pavement.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

#118 ·
Little update here. Upgraded to my first set of all terrains on the ole girl! Bfgoodrich Ko2 295/75/16. Ive ran two sets of Firestone Destination m/ts over the last 9 years. Haven't really put these tires to the test yet off road but they are fantastic on the pavement.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Welcome back old friend!!! I think I'm ready to finally wheel with you and Spencer :)

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.