Layonnn's Locked FZJ-80 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Member Build Ups Section for members to post their FJ buildups.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 229 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Layonnn's Locked FZJ-80

Most current picture first:

And my co-driver/navigator:

I thought about it long and hard, and made the decision i needed less of a car payment and more room. I need to get back into graduate school with some money saved up. I couldn't do that and still pay off the FJ at the same time so i decided to pick up an FZJ-80. (For some reason people on here think i am an old grumpy man, hahaha, i am 26, and also the youngest moderator)

I looked for 4-5 months and finally found a near stock one i really liked.
1997 Nightshadow pearl with tan interior and 156K miles.
Front and rear lockers

I found it up near Atlanta, GA. So after some emails, phone calls, and a very nice guy over on mud (Scott) went to go take a look at it and give it a test drive, i booked my flight!!! The guy i bought it from (Roy) owns a small used car lot. He came and picked me up from the airport, about an hour later, we made a deal. Off i began on my 9.5hr drive back on July 4th. 2010. It was pretty sweet driving back and seeing all the fireworks but i did miss getting to spend it with the family.

First day home:

My dad owns an auto-upholstery shop in BR. They have a pretty large warehouse that i have access to whenever i want with a large assortment of tools, a two tower 7Klbs lift, and a place to store everything. Only downside, all of my dads cars/projects are taking up too much space, haha. In the back warehouse are: dads boat, 66 showroom floor condition Mustang, a 66 Mustang project he is building into a GT500 replica, a 70 something Mailbu he is restoring with a 454, and my brothers mint condition 85' Monte Carlo SS. My dad and brother like cars, i like 4x4s, go figure.

2001 UZJ-100 Land Cruiser - 35" MTRs, ARBs fr/rr, 4.88s, ARB front, BIOR rear & skids, Radflo 2.5s, OME springs, 1" BL, WKOR rails, DT headers
1997 FZJ-80 Locked - Sold
2007 Supercharged FJ Cruiser - Sold
To see what me and Roux have been up to, check out our instagram page: Laytonsky
-Layton

TLCA# 20623

Last edited by Layonnn; 07-13-2011 at 06:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 229 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)
Re: Layonnn's Locked FZJ-80

Build up begins.
Step one: clean interior!
I started out by using a fantastic product called Malco to clean all of the leather and interior plastic. This stuff is so good that you need to only use it on a wet sponge when cleaning the leather or it will actually begin to remove some of the dye in the leather
The rear carpet has some stains and a very weird substance on the right rear, very gross is a good description. I was going to try and shampoo the carpet while still in the truck, i decided i would rather pull it out entirely as our carpet shampoo-er was broken, ha. This turned out to be a MUCH better idea. I pulled all of the rear carpet, removed the padding on the back side, sprayed it down with Purple Clean? Then pressure washed the snot out of it! This got all of the stains out of the carpet and returned it to a "like new" condition. I then added some new felt padding to the back side as insulation and sound deadening. I will probably go with dynamat on the rear eventually as i can get a deal through one of my dad's employees.
I may eventually go with a bedliner material for the cargo area of the truck. The main downsides i see to doing this are the heat from the exhaust with my dog in the cargo area. My dog comes with me everywhere.

I will also be re-doing the entire headliner either tomorrow or Wednesday.

Carpet out, seats still in and fender carpet still in.

Seats out and fender carpet out.

Re-padding the back of the cargo area carpeting, i did this also for the fender well carpet after i presure washed it too.

Today, Monday 7/12/2010 i finally washed it up and decided to try and see if my FJC steelies with 285 BFG AT's would fit, THEY DO. No rubbing whatesoever. I wasn't too keen on black wheels on a navy vehicle, but i think they look great after mounting them!
I just mounted my spare onto the front axle for a quick test drive down the street.
Also installed my Yellow top optima to replace the crappy battery that was in there and not holding a charge. The yellow top won't be staying in that location for very long though

Don't laugh at the mis-matched colored lugs haha.

2001 UZJ-100 Land Cruiser - 35" MTRs, ARBs fr/rr, 4.88s, ARB front, BIOR rear & skids, Radflo 2.5s, OME springs, 1" BL, WKOR rails, DT headers
To see what me and Roux have been up to, check out our instagram page: Laytonsky
-Layton

TLCA# 20623

Last edited by Layonnn; 07-13-2011 at 03:28 AM.
post #3 of 229 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

Step 2: order parts!

Ordered Stainless brake line set (frame to axle and axle to caliper, 7 in total) and windshield washer relocator bracket from Slee offroad. The washer relocating bracket is so that i can buy a FJ80 (91-92 year model) battery tray which is located on the passenger side of the vehicle. I will then use my DirtyParts dual battery kit to wire up dual batteries. DieHard Platinum as primary and Yellow Top Optima as auxiliary/backup.

Tomorrow i will be ordering from CruiserDan at American Toyota:
Toyota CDL (center differential locking) switch: this enables locking the center diff in 4Hi, and i will be performing the pin 7 mod which allows unlocking the center diff in 4LO. This makes turning sharp turns in 4LO MUCH easier
Toyota Hand throttle: this enables you to set any rpm rev, lock that RPM in place with this cable, and then remove your foot. Ideal for winching, jumping another vehicle, etc. also, poor man's cruise control.
FJ80 battery tray
radiator to engine heater hoses and a couple hoses on top of the valve cover as well as the PCV grommet

The previous owner "said" he took care of the pesky heater hose, PHH, but i saw a neat solution that looks to be better. Instead of just replacing the very hard to reach hose, i will replace the whole metal tubing from the heater valve all the way to the engine block down below.

I am also looking to replace the entire exhaust system.

-Layton

TLCA# 20623

Last edited by Layonnn; 07-13-2011 at 03:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 229 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

Step 3: order the fun mods!!!!

My very immediate list of things i will be adding to the FZJ-80:
The FJC steelies and 285 BFG ATs from the FJC
ARB bumper
Old Man Emu 850/863 (heavy/heavy) and new Nitrocharger Sport shocks
Safari Snorkel (of course)

After these, and soon to be ordered near after will be:
Sliders (undecided on brand yet)
LightForce Blitz 240's
Rear bumper with swing out: I like the Kaymar because of towing ability, but it's departure angle and weight are killer. I am about 90% sure i will be going with the Slee rear bumper with swing out and then will just leave my OEM hitch on underneath that. Whenever i go wheeling, i will just remove the 6 or so bolts that hold on the trailer hitch, and then be on my way.

The Slee rear bumper with Hi-lift mount.

-Layton

TLCA# 20623

Last edited by Layonnn; 07-12-2010 at 07:02 PM.
post #5 of 229 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 06:17 PM
The Laughing Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Let me be the first to say how great your 80 looks!!

Steve Bolander

'07 FJ Cruiser

TLCA #6727 / UFWDA

Last edited by LandCruiserSteve; 07-13-2010 at 12:43 AM.
post #6 of 229 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
LandCruiserSteve previously said: View Post
We're going to have to charge you rent for those unoccupied posts that you reserved. So, fill them up quickly with pics - pics - pics!!!!

And, let me be the first to say how great your 80 looks!!
Thanks Steve! There is some more info above now

What do y'all think of the steelies and BFGs?

-Layton

TLCA# 20623

Last edited by Layonnn; 07-12-2010 at 07:13 PM.
post #7 of 229 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 07:24 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Layonnn previously said: View Post
Thanks Steve! There is some more info above now

What do y'all think of the steelies and BFGs?
Much better than the originals. Looking good! Can't wait to see what this beast looks like when you are finished with it. Then again, are we ever really finished with mods?

07 Black Cherry 6MT
post #8 of 229 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 07:33 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Garage

Kick a$$ !!! Layton, I've always liked the 80s and the increased room they offer. After wheeling on a Bill Burke trip with a 96 Lexus LX450 (the Lexus version) I gained even more admiration for them and, had I not just spent over three grand on suspension and rear bumper, I would have really considered buying Rockcrawler's (Terry) Lexus LX450. I will watch this build closely.

FJ Summit Co-Director since 2013 email: james at fjsummit dot org

2008 Sandstorm FJ Cruiser
2019 White TRD Premium 4Runner

I am the Woodsman...the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.
post #9 of 229 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 07:39 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Very cool Layton! We are still several months out on picking up ours. Seems the new (to us, built in the 40's) house and shop are eating up all our money, go figure Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

"The next best thing to playing and winning, is playing and losing"
Religion is for those who are afraid of going to Hell
Spirituality is for those who have been there.
post #10 of 229 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 07:45 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to fjrohrs

Really nice Layton! I've been lusting over these as well over on mud. Keep us posted on the mods.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Member Build Ups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in