Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

WHOOP '12 Build

52K views 213 replies 31 participants last post by  football751 
#1 · (Edited)
Current:

So after owning my FJ for just shy of 5 years I decided it was time to make a build thread. It's a work in progress, so picture and additional details will follow.

More Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/blinn2012/sets/

Factory:
2007 Black Cherry Automatic 4x4
Upgrade Package 2
TRD Cold Air Intake
TRD Exhaust (removed)
Window Tint
Roof Rack

Suspension:
ICON 2.5" Remote Reservoir Extended Travel Coilovers with CDC Valves
ICON 700 lb Springs
Camburg 1.25" Uniball UCAs
Total Chaos Race Series Stock Length LCAs
Total Chaos Spindle Gussets
Total Chaos Upper Coil Bucket Tower Gussets
Total Chaos Cam Tab Gussets
Wheeler's Off-Road SuperBump Bump Stops
Metal-Tech Long Travel Rear Suspension
ICON 2.5" Remote Reservoir LT Rear Shocks with CDC Valves
Metal-Tech Offset Rear Lower Links
RESZ Fab Offset Rear Upper Links
ICON Rear Adjustable Track Bar
Front Sway Bar Disconnects
No Rear Sway Bar
ICON 2.5" Extended Travel Coilovers (removed)
Light Racing UCAs (removed)
The TOY Outfitters Rear Lower Links (removed)
The TOY Outfitters Rear Upper Links (removed)
Red Line Land Cruisers Rear Upper Links (removed)

Engine Performance:
TRD Supercharger
URD SuperGrip Pulley
URD UCON EMS
Level10 Bulletproof Torque Converter
Level10 Bulletproof Transmission
Doug Thorley Long-Tube Headers (New December 2016)
URD Off-Road Y-Pipe (New December 2016)
URD Mark3 Exhaust (New December 2016)
SOS Performance TR.340.6TA Big Brake Kit (New November 2017)
Rear Factory E-Locker (removed)
URD Spec-U Exhaust System (removed)
TRD High Performance Brake Pads (removed)

Axles & Armor:
4.56 Gears
RockJock60 Rear Axle
Front & Rear ARB Air Lockers
Full Set of Ricochet Skids w/ Front HD Skid
Rocktek Front Link Armor
Trail-Gear Rock Sliders
Rocktek Rear Link Armor (removed)
Rocktek Rear Shock Armor (removed)
Boztec Rear Diff Skid (removed)

Bumpers:
Metal-Tech Front Winch Bumper
Titan TW12S 12,000 lb Synthetic Winch
The TOY Outfitters Rear Swingout Bumper

Wheels:
Interco Birddog 17x9 4.5" BS Wheels
Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar 315/70R17s
Spidertrax Wheel Spacers (Front Only)
Stock 17" Alloys (removed)
BFG Mud-Terrain KM2 255/80R17s (removed)
Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar 35x12.50R17s (removed)

Stereo:
Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX Radio
Infinity Reference 9633cf Door Speakers
Infinity Reference 3032cf Dash and Rear Pillar Speakers
JBL GTO804 8" Subwoofer
Stock Subwoofer Enclosure
Kenwood KAC-1502S Stereo Amp (Bridged for Subwoofer)
Metra Axxess Steering Wheel Controller

Miscellaneous:
eBay Snorkel
Volant PowerCore Filter (New December 2016)
ARB High-Output Compressor
Springtail/MPAC Side HD Rack
Boztec CB Antenna Mount
Firestick Firefly 3' Antenna
Midland 75-822 Handheld CB
BajaRack Stock Roof Rack Drop-In Basket
ARB 50 qt Fridge
Odyssey 31M-PC2150T-M Battery
FJNewb's SCUBA Mod

Near-Term/In-Progress Mods:
URD 7th Injector Kit
Smaller Supercharger Pulley
Boost & Other Gauges

Future Mods (Wish List):
PRP Seats
New Transfer Case
Upgraded Stereo

See less See more
#36 · (Edited)
Think somethings missing....

Much cleaner than the mud caked third that was removed. Someone must have been doing some water crossings :lol:

I'll finish up the front dif tomorrow and we'll put some miles on it next week to break them in. :cheers:​
Wow, excellent! Thanks for the pics Brian! Is the compressor installed yet, or is Dave still working on that?

Haha I do tend to cross water, and it's been a while since I washed the FJ. Though it's usually cleaner after the water crossing than before :lol:

And by "I'll finish up," do you actually mean you, or Dave? Just curious, very cool if you're able to do this on your weeks off and get paid for it. Did y'all ever get the lift? I spent some time with Dave on Saturday and forgot to ask. I didn't see it, but there were lots of other projects in there to distract me.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#42 ·
^^ You don't wanna ask! :lol: I was there yesterday, wazz up with the different colored link guards? :lol: Your set up will be great for Moab and over kill at the Summit! :bigthumb:

#43 ·
Haha I started to remove my old front link armor and install my new Rocketk armor, along with repainting everything red, when I decided to order the MT off-set lower links. I figured instead of removing everything twice, I'd just wait till the links come in to remove, paint, and reinstall everything at once. It should all match by Jambo :cheers:

#44 ·
Wait a minute- Now you have to get that Gilmer Clay all over that clean pumpkin again...:lol:

That axle at the shop has a gas cap on it- Holy Mooly!

Pull up to the shop after a romp in the mud and say "filler up!" :bigthumb:

#52 ·
I did have to replaced it, I ruined my old one at WTF. And no, it's not completely sealed. I got a "like new" one from Just Differentials and the breather nipple on it was busted off. Haven't had the time or figured out the best way to fix it yet. If y'all have any ideas go for it, just add it to the tab :bigthumb:

#60 ·
Wow, pretty evenly distributed except that front drivers corner. I had no idea it'd be that much heavier than the rest even without a driver. Thanks for getting the weight, glad to see I don't need to go on a diet :lol:

#63 ·
Brian and Dave are done with my FJ and I'll have it back tomorrow :clap: I'm looking forward to driving it with the new gears, and I'll post up some pictures of the compressor install later this week :cheers:

#65 ·
Impressed with the OEM quality of OTRATTW Switches

Some shots of it at the shop today with the other yotas. Amazing how quiet yours is Brandon. I'm used to the ear piercing scream of the 1gr untamed :lol:. Yours is much more pleasant :bigthumb:

Great pictures Brian, thanks!

#66 ·
I saw it rolling out last night!

#70 ·
New wheels will be delivered today, and this is what they'll look like wrapped in 35" MT/Rs.

I've got an appointment at Discount Tire to get them mounted on Tuesday afternoon, so after that I'll upload some pictures of them on my rig.

I'll also have my stock 17" alloys and KM2 pizza cutters for sale then if anyone's interested :cheers:

#71 ·
Well I got my wheels from UPS today...but one of them is different! Somehow they sent me 4 correct wheels and one 15" wheel. So I'll have to make a call to Interco in the morning. Luckily there's still a few weeks till Jambo.

#73 ·
Some pictures of the new (correct) wheels. Construction and everything is great. I'm a big fan of the center caps, though I was surprised that they go in through the back of the wheel and thus can't come off while the tire is mounted. Maybe a lot of aftermarket rims are like this, but these are my first aftermarket rims so I can't compare. Can't wait to get everything sorted out and get the MT/Rs on them.

#74 ·
sweet! I'll be checking in for mounted pictures!

#75 ·
So that deep center groove must be what keeps the tire from walking off at low pressures. Those look much better in your picks than the ones in the magazine. Maybe cause they are 17's?

So excited to see someone got these after I posted that article. I think they should rock for you

#76 · (Edited)
its the two bumps behind the J-flange that circle all the way around the wheel, they hold the back side of the bead. The deep grove lets you get the tire one at more of an angle for easier mounting.

#78 ·
are you waiting on the 5th wheel to arrive before mounting tires?

#79 ·
Yes, I'd rather not have to make 2 trips to Discount Tire, and even though I have an appointment who knows how long I may have to sit there each time before they get to it. I don't have any wheeling planned till Jambo on May 3rd, so I'm in no immediate rush.

#82 ·
I got the new wheels and tires installed yesterday. They were able to balance them all out to 0.0, and I was told only 1 was a bit difficult to balance. I really like the look now that they're installed. The ride on the road with the C rated tires is definitely better than with the E rated KM2s. And I think they look better too :cheers:

I have plenty of clearance with the UCAs.

I do have some issues with the body mount, even though I have a fairly aggressive chop. I'm taking it to get realigned after work, which I'm hoping will correct the issue. It's been a while since it was realigned so I'm hoping the caster has gotten knocked back since then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.