Incognito, 2011 Iceberg - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Member Build Ups Section for members to post their FJ buildups.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Incognito, 2011 Iceberg

I have owned my FJ since buying it new in October 2011. It has been a great experience and the FJ is a reliable, capable vehicle that is easily configurable for any number of uses.

We all mod our vehicles to suit our own purposes and I am no exception.

I will not be conquering the Hammers in my FJ, but rather I needed a vehicle that is economical to operate, capable of carrying the family in comfort, and for hauling our camping gear to less frequented off-road locations. This list of mods reflect our needs.
  • Synthetic Fluid Swap, front and rear diffs, and the TC
  • Winter Wipers (Bosch, Beam Blade Type, front only)
  • Bubble Mirrors
  • Switch bank and Foot well courtesy lighting
  • Compressed Natural Gas System
  • Engine Block Heater, Circulating Type
  • Replace Rear Propeller Shaft (TSB 0046-12)
  • Bottle Jack Lock Retainer
  • Receiver Hitch, Harness, and Valance - OEM
  • Retractable Fog Lamps
  • DVD Head Rests
  • 12V Power outlet – Center console
  • LED dome light replacement, front and back
  • Air Bag helper springs
  • In car camera
  • High visibility mod, A-Pillar Grab handles
  • Flexible overhead grab handles
  • Blacked out – Grill, Bezel, Driving light covers, spare tire disc
  • De badged and brand blacked
  • Rodent Proofed – ľ” Construction cloth applied to engine intake, cabin vent, and both rear cabin flapper vents
Here are links to the mods that I have created threads about. Others have covered the mods not linked here. Search the forum for details on those mods.

Winter Grade Wipers and Bubble Mirrors

The OEM wiper blades are an open hinge design, which are prone to binding caused by ice build-up. I replaced the OEM wiper blades with Bosch Marathons which are a beam blade design that is without hinges and resistant to binding and ice build-up.

The FJ has a blind spot on each side which I addressed with bubble mirrors.

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ml#post2077818

This mod lights the switch bank with a weak red incandescent light and the front and rear foot wells with blue led light.

How to Install a CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) System in an FJ

Improving gas mileage in the FJ is best accomplished by modifying your driving habits. Alternatively, you can flip that equation around by switching to a less expensive fuel and continuing to drive normally.

How to Install a Circulating Type Engine Block Heater

As noted above, Winters are cold here and an electric engine block heater makes it possible to have cabin heat sooner while also reducing engine wear related to cold engine start up. This also saves fuel by allowing the engine to switch out of the warm-up, fuel regime sooner.

Replace rear propeller shaft: Eliminate Clunk/Thump

The clunk, bump, and thump was a minor, but constant annoyance and I wish I would have had it addressed sooner.

Had it replaced for free under TSB 0046-12

Easy Fix to Keep Bottle Jack From Clunking and Thunking

After six weeks of otherwise happy ownership I had to re-tighten the bottle jack twice because it was bouncing around in its mounting.This mod applies a keeper to prevent the jack from unwinding and clunking about.

Retractable Fog Lamps/Rock Lamps

I wanted fog lamps that I could take off road without the need to worry about damaging the lamps or mounts.

Rodent Proofing the FJ with Construction Cloth

This documents my attempt to rodent proof the engine and interior of the FJ using galvanized 1/4" construction cloth.

Last edited by westtexas86004; 02-26-2016 at 11:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 03:55 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Incognito, 2011 Iceberg

Good luck with your mods! Trying to keep the rodents out of the engine bay has been a tough one for me.

'07 Voodoo Blue/6MT/Roof Rack/Towing Package/ALL-PRO-Front Bumper w/Prerunner Light Bar, Rock Guards, Full Skid Plates, High Clearance Exhaust, Ultimate Lower Skids/Metal Tech Rear Bumper/ICON Ext. Travel Remote Reservoir Front-Rear PiggyBack Reservoir Shocks-Shin Guards/aFe Pro-Guard 7 CAI/Doug Thorley Headers/Garvin Trail Rack/KC Daylighters/BFG AT/KO's 315x70x17 Tires/17 inch Steel Wheels/Magnaflow Exhaust/Man-A-Fre Extended Brake Lines/M-Pac Rear Mount/Power Tank/Manik Taillight Guards & Roof Rack Light Bar/Light Racing Adjustable UCA/Safari Snorkel/SCUBA Mods/Toy Outfitters Rear Upper Control Arms, Rim Stiffeners/URD Short Shifter/Timbren Bumpstops/Baja Rack, + a butt load more mods..

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Member Build Ups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in