M3pedro's Trophy Build - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Member Build Ups Section for members to post their FJ buildups.

453Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 380 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
M3pedro's Trophy Build

Purchased in Nov. 2010....

The perfect vehicle for my lifestyle.....photographer, union camera operator, Car racer, district 37 moto racer.

In 1 year of ownership......No mods but lots of fun.

First trip (1 week after I bought it) was to vegas (for work) so I visited Red Rock for some inagural photo ops....

still had paper plates!!

Great for towing my "small/light" racecar....I race with VARA (vintage auto race assoc.) 1969 1602 BMW. I built the car myself.....cage, paint, rust resto, engine.....you name it.

On the way to my friends shop for some work....

Got a hitch mount for my Dirt Bike!!

(taken at Cahullia creek MX track)

After a day of muddy fun at Gorman

After my 1st place finish at the Glen Helen Grand Prix!!

Packing the "mule" with alot of movie making gear....(shooting a movie in NM) I'm always amazed at the amount of gear I can carry in the FJ!!

It did all fit! I had to polish up my Tetris skills!!!

Also got a special hitch mount for my "Handfree" segway that I use for work.

In case you were wondering what I use the segway for........I'm a "Steadicam" owner operator. I can ride it or mount my steadicam arm to it and do many kind of amazing shots for movies (up to 12mph) with the segway. Offroad and onroad.

Here is me riding the segway with my steadicam and a ARRI alexa camera. Check out my offroad tires....you can see my FJ in the background....

you can see the steadicam arm actually mounted to the segway. In this configuration the segway carries the weight instead of me. Pretty cool huh?

Speaking of my job......I got a rental for the FJ the other day! I used it as a "camera car". It's one way to make the payment!!

In this scenario I have a specially made hitch mount that I attach my steadicam arm. I lock the door open, which makes for a great windblocker! This is how sometimes we do car shots in movies....

This is me testing it out during the day (night shoot).....there is no camera on my steadicam since I was just testing....

Crazy fun stuff!! Yes I'm blessed to have such a cool job. I'm living my dream. it's not easy going and it's a tough business but I'm making my way....

So after a great fun year of ownership and paying off some bills.....I finally did my first MOD!!!

The desperately needed upgrade in the audio dept.!!!! So that first up!

My intentions are to own this car for a loooong time. I just can't imagine a more perfect car for my life.

So I have big plans for it in the future!

I've decided to keep the suspension stock for awhile a forgo the 3" lift or the suspension lift ladder......and just save up all my pennies for a ultimate LT setup.

-Possible flat black wrap job
-Total Chaos LT front and rear
-sliders
-skidplates
-Baja tube bumper
-allpro rear bumper
-Lights
-New wheels/tires
-Tint
-CB....maybe...
-Custom roof rack.
-??

Like I needed another "Hobby" in my life.

Good thing I'm not married and have no kids or this would all be a pipe dream.

I Hope to have some time off and do a trail run with some of you guys soon!!

I have tons of tarmac racing experience (intructor with NASA) and race dirtbikes.........but absolutly NO wheelin' experience at all!!

but that will change soon!

'10 FJ-4WD - @trophyFJ on instagram - Way to much to list...so...just check out th ebuild thread
Click Here for my build thread
KK6YBQ
'06 CRF450 (off road marvel)
'68 BMW 1602 Race car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 380 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)
1st MOD........Audio

1st MOD........Audio

After a year without any mods ( a record in my life) the first project is here......now I'm not a audiophile by any means but the stock sound is just weak. I needed a upgrade but didn't want to break my pocketbook.

believe it or not this is the first "system" i have ever purchased! I'm more of a performance parts guy.....

Plus I need Bluetooth hands free for my iphone and there is no way I'm wearing a stupid headset earpiece thingie.

My friend told me to make the drive out to his buddies shop in thousand oaks and I would be happy........boy was he right.

BIG 2 thumbs up to the price and service given by Steve at Al&Ed's in thousand oaks! he was competitive with online prices and gave great service and installation.

Here's what I got...

-Dynamat on the doors
-Kenwood Bluetooth/iphone/pandora/HD radio head unit KIV-BT901
-Rockford Fosgate Punch 300w AMP (4ga wire from battery mounted under passenger seat) Lots of power in a small package.
-Focal Access 165A1 component speakers 6.5" in the doors and tweeters to replace the 4" in the dash. Also the kit comes with crossovers.

and finally...

JL Audio 8" sub box that fit PERFECTLY in the rear area and is $500 cheaper than the custom JL stealthbox. I mounted it in the same area in the right rear corner. It is 5" thick and only 18" long so it fits perfect. I can stack my equipment cases and it doesn't stick out and reduce my cargo carrying capacity....the sub is amazingly powerful for it's size due to the ports I belive.....I love it!!!
Al & Ed's Autosound - JL Audio Microsub™ Enclosed Subwoofer System With Single 8w3v3-4 Subwoofer Driver

I can say the the system sounds amazing for the money I spent. The iphone interface in the Kenwood is great and easy to navigate and use. I love how the music turns off when a call comes in etc.....I can go to "private mode" if I want during the call....also I have the option to control the iphone from the phone if I want to.

so far there is little to complain about the setup....I think I will be happy for years to come.....

Now mounting the sub.....

I fabricated some bracket's from some junk steel in the garage in a few mins in the garage and sprayed them....

Here they are in the car.

Fits PERFECTLY over the rear wheel well area...as you can see it does not protrude past the wheel well plastic so I can still slide in my cases. Plus if I want to I can remove the sub for additional cargo room in a few mins.

Here It is....the mighty JL boom box.....in it's new home.

'10 FJ-4WD - @trophyFJ on instagram - Way to much to list...so...just check out th ebuild thread
KK6YBQ
'68 BMW 1602 Race car
post #3 of 380 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)
KNOB mod....

Always completely hated the stock knob.....saw a picture of aftermarket knob on another forum member's build thread....bam! Thanks ebay....

Once it showed up...I threaded the stock shift rod down to where I wanted.

Hacked it off with my angle grinder (cutoff wheel)....and threaded the new knob on.....

I love the new knob height and it looks 1 million times better IMHO.

FJess, Docshipley and thesilkiest like this.

KK6YBQ
'68 BMW 1602 Race car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 380 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)
Bumper mod....errrr

Well.....unfortunately....BAM!!

Nice solid impact....no airbag deployment. Everyone was okay.

I have my insurance with AAA and they have handled it with flying colors.

The driver I hit has got an attorney (she was fine and refused an ambulance) so I'm not going to go into details on the incident.

Got my car fixed and instead of the stock bumper......naturally I went with a Damello 3 hoop!!!

so at least something positive came out of it.

Got it today after 4 weeks (as they promised)

It arrived extremely well wrapped. Thanks!

My car was ready before the bumper was so I was driving without a bumper for a week or so.....so as many have said the hardest part about installing the bumper was already done......removing the stock one...

first up is removing the center support beam.....but leave the ones on the sides....they seam to need to be there to mount the headlights.

The rest of the install was super easy.....with a buddy helping me we just lifted the bumper into place and I opted to use the stock studs (they did send me new hardware.)

left them loose and lined everything up as best I could. and tightened them.

Here it is...

next up was triming the fender liner and spray painting the resevoir black (until I can offord the relocation bottle kit)

You can see how ugly the washer fluid bottle is now...

grabbed some tin snips and went to work...

Trimmed....and secured

Then used some flat black spray paint to paint everything down there black including the new shiney bolt heads.

Looking good!!!

My only complaint would be a better tube notch fit on the extra hoop tubes....not a really good notch so the tubes kinds sit too much on top on the main hoop. Maybe the fabricator in me is the only one that cares...also the welding on the inside of the bumper was great.....on the tubes was not so pretty......in the end it's not a big deal....It's just as a welder I care about the small details...

Here we are all finished!!!

Glad to have my buddy back.....looking better than ever!
FJess likes this.

KK6YBQ
'68 BMW 1602 Race car
post #5 of 380 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)
Finally added sliders!

Finally added sliders!

Sold some take off parts from the racecar project and figure I just transfer the money over to the FJ.

Good timing too, since ALLPRO was having a sale!

As they arrived,

[IMG]Getting ready to spray paint....I figured these things going get bashed up anyways this way I can paint whenever I want.[/IMG]

all done and installed.....

Little by little.......if I land a job on a big movie this year then will be the big upgrade!

I'm keeping the suspension all stock.....instead of upgrading as time goes by, then selling and upgrading.....a process many of us know all too well.......this time I'm trying to hold off.......save and wait........then buy the ultimate setup.

Planing on the long travel 3.5 kit in the front....not sure about the rear yet.
FJess likes this.

KK6YBQ
'68 BMW 1602 Race car
post #6 of 380 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)
detour....

I had a job shooting a beer commercial up in Mammoth last week and took a detour and went exploring in Lone Pine on the way back in the "Alabama Flats" movie rd. area.

here some pics..

My office for the day....

The second day we shot in lone pine after we wrapped I went exploring and looking for trails......

reached the end of the trail.....

a look back from the top of the trail....

hahahah....look what I found.....Om nom nom nom!

yeah I know I'm a lucky bastard to have such a cool job takes me places like this.....

KK6YBQ
'68 BMW 1602 Race car
post #7 of 380 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)
another detour....

Went to vegas for a trade show and took a little detour on Zyzxx rd. and played around in the salt flats....

Had fun ripping around the flats.....

then almost got stuck in the mud.....in the not so "dry" lakebed.....

It took all I had to get out of there........that mud was very tacky and very slick....alot more than I thought....almost...thought I was going get stuck.

KK6YBQ
'68 BMW 1602 Race car
post #8 of 380 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)
Camping....

No upgrades lately.....but went out to Mojave with some friends of mine to try to catch a shot of the Leonid metor shower and ride our dirt bikes....

here some shots from our awesome weekend...

What a morning!!

The night sky was incredible....

Managed to catch one metor !!!!!!!

My Deluxe sleeping accomodations inside the FJ....

DOUBLE rainbow with the morning showers.....

Time to ride!!

[IMG]Did some exploring in the FJ as well.....[/IMG]

then got rewarded with a massive nail in my tire.....

Incredibly beautiful weekend in the wet and cold desert......

FJess, Moab Junky, FJraja and 1 others like this.

KK6YBQ
'68 BMW 1602 Race car
post #9 of 380 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)
finally the big day...

Ok......I just finally did it.

Dropped some serious cash over at Dirty Parts today.....

Gave myself a massive early Christmas/Birthday gift today.

Almost cried when Larry ran my card but I hope to soon forget all that when I take the FJ out to a trail with the new upgrades.

After 2 years of driving around a totally stock FJ (minus the DO bumper) I can't wait for my FJ to look and perform like I always wanted it to.

Also just hit 30,000 miles....so doing some maintanance and some upgrading....going be a busy few days in the garage once all the parts come in.

Lots of installation and new and improved pictures coming soon.....

Oh yeah.... also got 6th place this sunday at the Big 6 Pala GP

istambull and FJess like this.

KK6YBQ
'68 BMW 1602 Race car
post #10 of 380 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)
all Pro Rear bumper

Took advantage of the recent All Pro Sale and got myself a Rear "Apex" Bumper.

Showed up amazingly well packaged (compared to my Damelo front bumper) in this box....great first impression.

I looked up some directions online.....bumper came off easy....looked at a bunch of pictures on how to cut up the stock bumper.....

The long cut across the top.....I left a bit more than the instructions said...

As hindsight is 20/20 I would of left more of the stock bumper in place....still I went against AP instructions and left a strip that runs along the bottom to a bolt to secure the small remaining piece....

I read that a lot of people don't even bother with the smaller bolts on the side of the frame rail.... I figure since im towing with the bumper these extra "shear" points might help a bit....and why not? Marked it while the bumper was on for a trial fit...drilled the frame with the specified drill bit size and the "self tapping" bolts just went right in like butter....

Then spray painted the area black because on the trial fit I saw that the gap was bigger than I thought and that you might see some of the silver through the gap.

Here is the finished result....and the final gaps.....

The final result.......very nice..... While the gaps might look bad in the pictures....not that bad in person.....I managed to "massage" the bumper in and
did my best to keep the gaps EQUAL as possible...

I look at the gaps with a grain of salt.....it's an offroad vehicle (not and sports car)....and you do need room for body movement on the frame...

The the best part.....now my bike sits much higher now that I'm using the built in high clearance hitch....

another shot of the finshed "seam" from old bumper to all pro.

FJess and Moab Junky like this.

KK6YBQ
'68 BMW 1602 Race car

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Member Build Ups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in