Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Project Snow Leopard

248K views 1K replies 129 participants last post by  lzalusky 
#1 · (Edited)
This thread is dedicated to the build up of my 2013 Iceberg 6MT known as Snow Leopard. I have updated the first post to outline the various components I have designed and offered to the community over the years, many of which were carried by Shrockworks prior to their bankruptcy. Links are provided to the relevant sections of this thread to capture their development.

Anyway, I have a bit of catching up to do as I purchased Snow Leopard in July of 2013 and have already done a good bit of modification. I intend to keep the most up to date pictures below, with the build in chronological order following:

Okay, from the beginning. Bought the truck 7/2/2013 with 6 miles on it. She is a 2013 Iceberg 6MT with the following options:
  • Off Road Package
  • Rock Sliders
  • Roof Rack
  • TRD Quick Shifter
  • Tow Package
Here she sits around 7/15/13, with the only addition being Nitto Trail Grappler M/T's in 265/70/17. Figured I would sell the stock tires with as few miles on them as possible.

At the time I purchased my FJ in 2013, there were no washer tank relocation options due to the addition of the secondary air injection system on 2013 and up model years. I set about to design my own washer relocation kit:

And the accompanying bracket, wiring extension and hardware:

Mounting bracket installed:

Alternate tank bracket with secondary air relocation to allow dual battery installation:
Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Automotive exterior Car

More detail starting here: Washer Tank Development

2/27/14 Update: Designed a new engine cover to replace the stock one. Not exactly a "functional" mod, but it makes me happy when I look at it.

Engine Cover Install (Page 6)

~5/14 Update: Designed and installed a breather setup for the front and rear diff, transfer case and transmission.

SCUBA Mod (Page 11)

Late 2014 Update - Auxiliary Battery Tray Design and Installation:
Machine Wood Metal Flooring Aluminium

Automotive design Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Gas Auto part

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive battery Automotive exterior Automotive design

Auxiliary Battery Tray (Page 15)

1/2015 Update - Design of Isolator Bracket:

Rectangle Building Font Auto part Cylinder

Completion of Dual Battery Setup (Page 37)

Design of Additional relay and fuse module bracket (Single and Dual Bussman):

Camera accessory Rectangle Auto part Font Electronics accessory

Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive exterior Personal luxury car

Complete Engine Bay:
Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Light

See less See more
#4 ·
Great write-up... You should think about marketing the washer fluid reservoir! Great job!

Reactions: TTzop and Mt6972
#10 ·
Hell Yea. Is buy both of those off of you too. I'm thinking of doing exact bumper and winch setup as you

#12 ·
Looks great:rocker: What lift are you planning on?

#13 ·
Nice! :bigthumb:

#14 ·
Thanks for all the positive replies guys! I did at one point consider selling the washer fluid tank as a kit but thought it would probably be cost prohibitive to many, unless I could sell a good number of them.

While I did design the entire system, I can't take credit for the awesome TIG welding and precision bending. An older guy at a shop local to me did the welding and I was amazed by his skill. I have seen plenty of welds throughout my career but this guy is truly exceptional.

I suppose a robot gets credit for the rest of the fabrication as everything was CNC bent. I would say that if around 25 people were interested (massive price break from bender) the cost per washer would come way down. If there is enough interest I will definitely look into it.

As to the winch cover, I am happy to provide the drawings to anyone that wants to make one. Mine was water jet cut and has just one simple bend, so most people should be able to have one made up pretty easy. Could also just print out the drawing 1:1 and glue it to a sheet of aluminum and cut it out by hand. I have had great success with that method in the past.

To finish off the long post, I am thinking of going with FOX 2.5" body internal reservoir shocks from All-Pro for the front and the FOX non adjustable rear shocks and All-Pro rear springs. Already have Camburg front UCA's.

#15 ·
I suppose a robot gets credit for the rest of the fabrication as everything was CNC bent. I would say that if around 25 people were interested (massive price break from bender) the cost per washer would come way down. If there is enough interest I will definitely look into it.
I'd have to do some measuring because my sPOD might interfere with it, but you can add my name to the list if you do decide to make some.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#16 ·
If this is an unofficial poll to gain interest for a group buy for the reservoir, consider me in. If not...I recommend creating one. I think you'd have at least 25 deposits in a week. Any idea what it would cost if you had 25 buyers??

#18 ·
I'm in too!

#17 ·
Awesome fabrication! :bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb:

#26 · (Edited)
Well I have been doing a bit of research and am now leaning towards the following for the lift:

For the rear, Icon 2.5" remote reservoir shocks with CDC and Icon 2" lift springs. Assuming that the CDC will be useful when varying amounts of gear / people are in the back of the truck.

For the front, Icon 2.5" coilovers. I am leaning towards not going remote reservoir in the front due to the reservoir mounting locations and the probability of assaulting the reservoirs with rocks and crap from the tire treads while wheeling. Just doesn't seem necessary I guess. Might seem odd having remote reservoirs in the rear and not the front, but the location is way better and it might help when gear is in the back due to the CDC.

The main question that remains is whether to go extended travel with the front Icons. I have Camburg ball joint UCA's and saw at least one thread where someone had success with that combination, but I need to be sure I wont kill the ball joint with the extended travel setup. Here are some pics of the Camburg arms I have:

Auto part Gas Metal Wood Fashion accessory

Looks like a bit of die grinding is going to be necessary to get the covers flush:

Bicycle part Tire Rim Auto part Electric blue

In other news, I am making progress on getting the washer fluid reservoir quoted out for a group buy type scenario. I decided that another support tab that connects the tank to the inner fender well is necessary to control displacement of the tank under vibration. The tank and mounting bracket are super sturdy, but the stock bracket on the fender allows a small amount of flex due to the thin material in that region. Not much, but for piece of mind another support tab is being added to mitigate this.

The new tab is being made up to confirm fitment. Here is a shot of the model with the new tab:

Gas Machine Auto part Electric blue Toy

Hope to have the lift specifics ironed out soon!

#28 ·
In other news, I am making progress on getting the washer fluid reservoir quoted out for a group buy type scenario. I decided that another support tab that connects the tank to the inner fender well is necessary to control displacement of the tank under vibration. The tank and mounting bracket are super sturdy, but the stock bracket on the fender allows a small amount of flex due to the thin material in that region. Not much, but for piece of mind another support tab is being added to mitigate this.

The new tab is being made up to confirm fitment. Here is a shot of the model with the new tab:

Looks good...keep us posted!

#29 · (Edited)
Well I got the lift ordered last week from Metaltech4x4. I ended up going with the Icon 2.5" extended travel coilovers on the front and Icon 2.5" external reservoir rear shocks with CDC and 2" lift springs. Also got the Icon shin guards for the rear.

I also have finally received the final quotes back on the washer fluid kit with the new support bracket. Here are a few pics.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper

Gas Auto part Gadget Font Automotive tire

I am planning to get a group buy going next week with a minimum of 25 orders required to have a batch made up.

Does anyone know if all 2010+ FJ's have this bracket in the engine bay or if this started in 2013. Guessing it was added with the 2010 update:

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Electrical wiring Automotive fuel system

If that is the case then it would allow 2010+ guys without the smog pump to put the washer there and add a second battery in the front on the alternate battery tray.

I may also offer the mounting bracket separately sans the studs to allow people to mount random stuff in that location if they so desire. Thoughts?

Looking forward to getting the lift installed!

#81 ·
Well I got the lift ordered last week from Metaltech4x4. I ended up going with the Icon 2.5" extended travel coilovers on the front and Icon 2.5" external reservoir rear shocks with CDC and 2" lift springs. Also got the Icon shin guards for the rear.

I also have finally received the final quotes back on the washer fluid kit with the new support bracket. Here are a few pics.

I am planning to get a group buy going next week with a minimum of 25 orders required to have a batch made up.

Does anyone know if all 2010+ FJ's have this bracket in the engine bay or if this started in 2013. Guessing it was added with the 2010 update:

If that is the case then it would allow 2010+ guys without the smog pump to put the washer there and add a second battery in the front on the alternate battery tray.

I may also offer the mounting bracket separately sans the studs to allow people to mount random stuff in that location if they so desire. Thoughts?

Looking forward to getting the lift installed!
I will check this in the morning on my 2010 and if it is so,,,,,,, you can count me in on the group buy.

#31 ·
Awesome updates...can you post pics of your truck with the lift installed? I'm going with a similar kit.

Psyched about the reservoir too! I'm still in!