Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Project Snow Leopard

248K views 1K replies 129 participants last post by  lzalusky 
#1 · (Edited)
This thread is dedicated to the build up of my 2013 Iceberg 6MT known as Snow Leopard. I have updated the first post to outline the various components I have designed and offered to the community over the years, many of which were carried by Shrockworks prior to their bankruptcy. Links are provided to the relevant sections of this thread to capture their development.

Anyway, I have a bit of catching up to do as I purchased Snow Leopard in July of 2013 and have already done a good bit of modification. I intend to keep the most up to date pictures below, with the build in chronological order following:

Okay, from the beginning. Bought the truck 7/2/2013 with 6 miles on it. She is a 2013 Iceberg 6MT with the following options:
  • Off Road Package
  • Rock Sliders
  • Roof Rack
  • TRD Quick Shifter
  • Tow Package
Here she sits around 7/15/13, with the only addition being Nitto Trail Grappler M/T's in 265/70/17. Figured I would sell the stock tires with as few miles on them as possible.

At the time I purchased my FJ in 2013, there were no washer tank relocation options due to the addition of the secondary air injection system on 2013 and up model years. I set about to design my own washer relocation kit:

And the accompanying bracket, wiring extension and hardware:

Mounting bracket installed:

Alternate tank bracket with secondary air relocation to allow dual battery installation:
Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Automotive exterior Car

More detail starting here: Washer Tank Development

2/27/14 Update: Designed a new engine cover to replace the stock one. Not exactly a "functional" mod, but it makes me happy when I look at it.

Engine Cover Install (Page 6)

~5/14 Update: Designed and installed a breather setup for the front and rear diff, transfer case and transmission.

SCUBA Mod (Page 11)

Late 2014 Update - Auxiliary Battery Tray Design and Installation:
Machine Wood Metal Flooring Aluminium

Automotive design Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Gas Auto part

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive battery Automotive exterior Automotive design

Auxiliary Battery Tray (Page 15)

1/2015 Update - Design of Isolator Bracket:

Rectangle Building Font Auto part Cylinder

Completion of Dual Battery Setup (Page 37)

Design of Additional relay and fuse module bracket (Single and Dual Bussman):

Camera accessory Rectangle Auto part Font Electronics accessory

Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive exterior Personal luxury car

Complete Engine Bay:
Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Light

See less See more
#39 ·
It looks like a conservative 8" from the inner fender to the outside edge of the sight tube. Would be just over 7" if you plugged off the bungs for the sight tube. Let me know if that will work!

Count me in for WW kit if it fits a 2014!
I am nearly positive that it would. I don't think anything in the engine bay has changed from 2013. If you post up a pic from of the engine bay in that location I could tell you for sure.

In other news, it is going to be a little while before I can get a group buy up as I need to either become a supporting vendor, or be sponsored by a supporting vendor. I am going to approach a couple vendors to see if we can work something out to get a group buy going.

Cheers!

#40 ·
Try talking to Ray from Pure FJ. I met him a few weeks ago, seems like a solid guy. He is in it to win it for the FJ community.

#46 · (Edited)
Hey guys, thanks for the continued positive comments on the washer tank. I am making progress on the group buy so stay tuned!

These were delivered last week:

Household hardware Auto part Gas Metal Fastener

Absolutely beautiful craftsmanship. These are the ICON 2.5" extended travel internal reservoir coil overs. One more pic just to capture the machined anodized aluminum awesomeness:

Light Black Automotive tire Font Auto part

I knew what I was doing this weekend. Here is what I started with:

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Tread Automotive lighting

And rest assured my truck is not usually this clean, I pressure washed it to make for a more enjoyable install..seriously.

I am using Camburg ball joint UCA's so a good portion of the install was dedicated to removing the ball joints from the stock UCA's and installing them in the Camburgs.

Here is the thread I started going into detail on this step Camburg Ball Joint UCA Build Up

Here is the stock arm removed:

Bicycle part Automotive exterior Household hardware Tints and shades Auto part

And the Camburg arm built up:

Bicycle part Composite material Auto part Metal Pipe

Mid install carnage. It has to get worse before it gets better right?

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Automotive side marker light

And after a bit of effort, the Icons are in!

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Rim

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive fuel system

Here is max droop with the extended travel coil overs, totaling 25.6" from hub center to edge of the fender:

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Ball joint at max droop:

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive exterior Automotive design

Lift height was initially 3.4" which is more than I was looking for. Two rotations up with the springs got me to 2.95" of lift which is right where I was looking to be. With the 2.95" of lift I have 3.1" of down travel which seems reasonable from what I have read. My fender height is 38" as it stands.

So far the ride seems great even though I am still waiting on the rear shocks and need to get an alignment. I was going to wait a little for it settle prior to aligning. I am very happy with the quality of the Icons and can't wait to get the rear lift on, hopefully this week.

#47 ·
Looking great, now it's time to get that bad boy dirty!

#48 ·
Another on board for the resi.....

Sub'd for updates.....

Love your build! :bigthumb:

#49 ·
Looks great, nice work!

#53 ·
Sweet setup! That trailer looks awesome. I am really liking the Warn M8000S. It pretty much has already paid for itself in my book by saving my a$$ on a mud covered grade with a steep drop off that I managed to get mostly sideways on. Don't think I would have got out of it without the winch.

Been very happy with the bumper as well, great quality and really durable so far.

I have been working with a supporting vendor to get a group buy going on the washer tanks and should have an official thread up pretty soon.

#55 · (Edited)
So I have always hated the plastic engine cover and finally decided to do something about it. I designed an anodized aluminum version that hugs the engine a bit tighter and does away with the molded in "pistons" on the stock version.

I was a little constrained by the sheet metal construction and might work on some of the angles a bit in the future, but it's a start. Fit like a glove though!

Window Sleeve Rectangle Font Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Rectangle Clock Font Window

Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive design

Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Grille Hood

What do you guys think?

:cheers:

#59 ·
So I have always hated the plastic engine cover and finally decided to do something about it. I designed an anodized aluminum version that hugs the engine a bit tighter and does away with the molded in "pistons" on the stock version.
Don't get me wrong here because I like yours a lot but by "pistons" do you mean the coned dimpled things? Cause those are really handy to hold the nuts and bolts you take out :thinkerg:

#56 ·
^ that is awesome. I am seriously impressed by your fab skills and design work.

What do you do for a living???

#60 ·
Thanks! I am an engineer by trade and have thus far worked in the wind industry. I do design consulting in the medical, consumer product development and factory automation industries as well. I also start random BBQ sauce companies that last about a year :lol:

Very Cool! You better start a list for that one too and I'm in! :cheers:

I did this to my SSR's engine cover, think 50's Retro. The paint scheme that you see below was copied onto a '57 Chevy Bel Air for a young girls "Sweet 16" present by her father.
That is awesome! Looks like some serious effort and skills went into that.

Don't get me wrong here because I like yours a lot but by "pistons" do you mean the coned dimpled things? Cause those are really handy to hold the nuts and bolts you take out :thinkerg:
Haha, yeah I hadn't thought of that. I could stick some magnets to the underside to keep its bolt retaining qualities I suppose. I have an aversion to putting tools / bolts on the engine though after an exciting experience in high school involving a socket extension, a throttle linkage and a car with more power than I had the experience to handle properly. Good times!

#57 ·
Snap son, you are a smooth pimp when it comes fabrication! I'm pretty jealous of the toys that I imagine you get to play with to come up with such clean products... My hats off to you sir.:cheers:

#66 ·
We are really really close at this point. Shrockworks has been kind enough to sponsor the group buy and we are just finishing up the text for the interest / group buy thread to be posted in their vendor section.

I am hoping to get it up this week, or early next week. All the details will be in the thread.

Almost there..

#67 ·
Can you post dimensions on the washer bottle? I've got something similar in use from an off the shelf plastic bottle that looks to be near similar dimensions. Id like to know if I can exchange it for this because it would clean that up a little bit.

#74 ·
Hey Baz,

Good point, until it's in production things can always change. Hopefully it'll remain as prototyped.

Steve

#75 ·
Yep, no design changes in the forecast. Lower bracket is removable and mounts to existing studs on the wheel well. Tank mounts on top and has an additional tab that picks up a weld nut on the upper fender.

If people specifically ask for them I can probably provide kit components individually. Might even be that lower bracket could be used to mount other items in that location if the reservoir is not required.

Hope to have a date soon!

#76 ·
G'day.
Thanks for the info.
I won't need the bracket, but if its a package I'll take it ..no worries.
My idea is to mount it into the bumper, opposite the stock location if possible, and save having to lengthen any tubes or wiring, simply rotate the pumps and hoses 180 degree's . type thing.
Filling could be an issue, running a new feeder hose, but as I do not actually use the washer bottle ... its not an issue for me.

Thanks for the design, and making it all happen

cheers
Baz