Project Snow Leopard - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Member Build Ups Section for members to post their FJ buildups.

894Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 999 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Project Snow Leopard

This thread is dedicated to the build up of my 2013 Iceberg 6MT known as Snow Leopard. Surely it secured this name due to its sleek and stealth like characteristics (sarcasm).. or possibly from some bizarre love of Apple operating systems?

No, the name arose from the scratches and dings I have already managed to put into the paint of the first new vehicle I have ever owned. My off road ambitions have transformed what was once glossy white with pristine black plastic to a somewhat mottled, but unique piece of machinery. I write it off as a bonding experience.

Anyway, I have a bit of catching up to do as I purchased Snow Leopard in July of 2013 and have already done a good bit of modification. I intend to keep the most up to date pictures below, with the build in chronological order following:

Okay, from the beginning. Bought the truck 7/2/2013 with 6 miles on it. She is a 2013 Iceberg 6MT with the following options:
  • Off Road Package
  • Rock Sliders
  • Roof Rack
  • TRD Quick Shifter
  • Tow Package
Here she sits around 7/15/13, with the only addition being Nitto Trail Grappler M/T's in 265/70/17. Figured I would sell the stock tires with as few miles on them as possible.

One of my only dislikes with the styling and function of the FJ is the flimsy and weak front bumper. There was only one thing to do, replace it with an Expedition One Trail Series Kodiak front bumper. This thing is solid. My wife was a little concerned when our brand new FJ looked like this at 5K miles:

Bumper install went well with minimal grinding or interference issues. I went ahead and installed a Warn M8000 with synthetic rope shortly after. I hated the polished fairlead that came with the winch so I swapped it out for a black anodized one.

In mounting the winch I decided that the control box was not well protected and looked strange protruding from the bumper, so I chose to mount the contactor to a subplate that is installed inside the bumper on one of the supports. I used a replacement connector and pigtail for another Warn winch to provide the interface to the hand controller. The electronics are well protected inside the bumper and I find this approach more visually appealing. There large opening in the bumper over the winch was a bit of an eyesore in my opinion, and it left the winch (synthetic cable) unprotected from the sun. To remedy this I went ahead and designed a cover that allows access to the winch free-spool lever and provides for visual inspection of the drum while offering a layer of protection.

Here it is being fitted:

And Installed:

If anyone has the same bumper / winch combination and wants a cover like this, just PM me and I will send you the CAD file / Drawing.

To control the fog lights included with the bumper I went ahead and used the overly priced Toyota switches and harnesses for ease of installation. Taking the dash apart and installing this switch was tedious and time consuming in my opinion. I would rather install another bumper than do that again. The part numbers that I used are as follows:
  • Fog Light Switch PN: PT297-35070-SW
  • Switch Harnes PN: PT297-35070-SH
  • Lamp Harness PN: PT297-35070-LH
  • AUX relay PN: PT297-89016

Well, once the new bumper was installed I determined that the stock washer fluid reservoir was completely inadequate with its protrusion into the wheel well. Being that this is a 2013 and has an air injection pump in the alternate washer location I was out of off the shelf options.

I instead set out to create my own, which admittedly turned into a larger project than I had hoped. I am very happy with the final result though:

And the accompanying bracket, wiring extension and hardware:

Mounting bracket installed:

And finally, the entire unit. What a PITA:

2/20/14 Update: Finally got the front Icons and Camburg Arms. Install was slow but went great. Ended up with 2.95" lift in the front along with 3.14" droop. Alignment tech was able to get caster back to the low end of stock with the Camburg UCA's.

Icon Install (Page 5)

2/27/14 Update: Designed a new engine cover to replace the crappy stock one. Not exactly a "functional" mod, but it makes me happy when I look at it.

Engine Cover Install (Page 6)

~5/14 Update: Designed and installed a breather setup for the front and rear diff, transfer case and transmission.

SCUBA Mod (Page 11)

Also Installed AFE Hightuck exhaust and upgraded to 295/70/17 Trail Grapplers

6/4/14 Update - Body Mount Chop:

Body Mount Chop (Page 13)

Late 2014 Update - Auxiliary Battery Tray Design and Installation:

Auxiliary Battery Tray (Page 15)

1/2015 Update - Completion of Dual Battery Setup:

Completion of Dual Battery Setup (Page 37)
e36m3 likes this.

Last edited by lzalusky; 08-22-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 999 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 01:54 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Re: Project Snow Leopard

Wow - that washer fluid reservoir is a thing of beauty!
e36m3 likes this.
post #3 of 999 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 02:29 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)

Great job on the washer fluid holder! Very nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 999 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 02:40 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 67 Post(s)

Great write-up... You should think about marketing the washer fluid reservoir! Great job!
Mt6972 and TTzop like this.

2011 Silver- Toytec/Bilstein 5100's, 305/70/17 BFG M/T KM2, Fuel Anza D558, 1.25" Spidertrax, TG Sliders, Bushwacker Pocket Flares, ODL 3 Hoop Winch Bumper, Acro H1900, Smittybilt XRC8 w/ syn line, Shockworks Washer Reservoir Kit, HID Drop-In's, 2013 OEM Tails, Ricochet Roof Dam w/ 44" Dual Row LED Lightbar, 24" Rear Dual Row LED Bar, Demello Jack Mounts w/ TJM Hi-Lift, Fourtreks Dble Quick-Fist w/ Axe-Shovel, PRG Snorkel, FJOEL Stealth Black Shifters & Battery Tie Down, Hayden Transmission Cooler, Scanguage II, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Panamint Roll-Top, ARB Roof Console, Uniden 520xl, Firestik, NestahEdition AM//FM Firestik, and many mods thanks to the awesome forum members how-to's
post #5 of 999 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 02:53 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
itsdchz previously said: View Post
Great write-up... You should think about marketing the washer fluid reservoir! Great job!
You really should. very cool indeed.
post #6 of 999 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 03:13 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)

Good looking rig. Iceberg is the best...and it come with 5 extra HP because it's the best (shhhh, no one knows that).

Quote:
Agreed. I would get one (hint...hint).

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

***CLICK BELOW TO CHECK OUT MY FJ BUILD***

http://www.bakesfj.com

**FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK**

-BAKER-

post #7 of 999 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 03:27 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to iwashmycar

Nice work. Subscribing!

-Adam

'07 Black Diamond 4WD AT UR

TLCA #22985
295s | 3" | BL | Lights | Armor | Rails | Snorkel | CB | Dent(s)
Feb. 2017 Member of the Month
In the Midwest? OHIO FJ Owners
post #8 of 999 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 04:27 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Garage

+3 on the washer reservoir. ..wow that is stunning. ..

post #9 of 999 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 04:46 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Totally agree there. Expedition One still hasn't solved this issue for 2013+ FJs... and it seems you have...

Hell, I'll buy one off of you

BTW, that winch cover is super badass too. May have to buy one of those off of you too when I get my Expedition One bumper
post #10 of 999 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 05:08 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to thisisdudewhoru

Hell Yea. Is buy both of those off of you too. I'm thinking of doing exact bumper and winch setup as you

2013 Iceberg White 5AT 4x4 offroad/convenience CURRENT Oct '13
2007 Trd edition SOLD

My Feedback

All Pro HD Sliders//Springtail Cargo Barrier//Rough Country 3 inch//Full Ricochet HD Skids//Icon Tubular Uca//Spidertrax 1.25"//Ghetto BMC By Me//315/70/17 Hankook Dynapro MT//Demello Three Hoop Front Bumper//lzalusky Washer Fluid Reservoir// Many more mods to come.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Member Build Ups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in