Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Project SAC'D FJC - "The Rebuild" and then some...

107K views 521 replies 76 participants last post by  MotioncontrolMike 
#1 ·
Finally getting around to starting a new thread. :nerd Some of you may have seen my other build threads, but if not click on the links below and have a ball reading for the next couple of hours...

Phase 1 - The original SAS build thread... that covers the initial build up, some additional post build changes, offroad expo coverage and a bunch of the wheeling trips.

Phase 2 - The post SAS thread that includes everything from the DIY beadlocks, reaer tire carrier, tube doors, shock tuning, lots of wheeling pictures and a bunch of helpful posts on the electronics and how to disable them.

In this installment :wink I'll cover the rebuild of the front end and the rear 3-link with 14" Fox 2.5" coilovers plus a bunch of other things as we go...

First... the original solid axle swap was completed almost 7 years ago and my FJC has performed amazing over the years. Over the last few years I've seen a number of successful rear 3-link setups on late model Toyota's and that made me believe it was time to do the rear 3-link on my FJC.

The parts list goes like this...

- 14" Fox 2.5" body coil overs with remote reservoirs
- Eibach coilover springs 300/350 spring rate as a starting point
- RuffStuff antiways (this thing is crazy stiff - same diameter as a Dana 60 axle shaft)
- Branik 2.25" solid aluminum links (all the way around)
- Currie's new chromoly narrow johnny joints (all the way around)
- FK heims on the panhards
- Fox air bumps (reusing the ones I had in there, but relocating)
- Polyperformance limit straps
- FJ-80 High pinion third member with an ARB for the front (moving away from the elocker third)
- and a bunch of pretty welds from the fabricator...

So enough with the words and on to the pictures.

Here is what I started with...

A few pics of the parts... new johnny joints

Fox coilovers

Started off by putting the FJC on the scales... let's just say it needs to go on a diet. PIGLET!

The first thing we started with was swapping out the front diff. When I originally built the front axle I chose to use an FJ80 high pinion third with an elocker. This go around I'm switching to the same FJ80, but with an ARB locker instead. This involved adding some steel to the face of the housing in order to make the ARB third fit. With elockers there is a large chunk of steel missing where the elocker shift fork passes through the diff and connects to the locking shift fork. We welded in a piece of 1/2" plate, drilled and tapped it and then installed the new diff.

Sorry for the crappy pic... this is post adding the steel to the face.

Post diff install...

At this point... things change direction and I decide to rebuild both the front and rear. After 7 years of hard wheeling the link mounts at the frame had taken a beating as had the front axle mounts. So...

Off came everything... :surprise and we started completely over. We kept the shock towers, steering and frame side panhard mount, but stripped the front axle and belly bare and started over.

The plan going forward it to rebuild the front axle mounts, new front and rear cross members with integrated link mounts, fully belly pan, 3-link in the rear with coilovers up into the rear cargo area, sway bar and a bunch of other cool things.

I will post more as we make progress...

See less See more
#233 ·
Opening the message, it was like the crowd quietening, just before Bob asked,

"Rod, who's the next lucky contestant?"

Few lines in, Rod replying,

"******* Okie,

COME

ON

DOWN!"

The crowd cheered and I peed my pants.

Reactions: TCao and FJess
#235 ·
On the rack getting ready for exhaust...

Switched from a flowmaster to a magnaflow this time...

Got it back to the shop and got the obligatory forklift flex shots...

I also got a few more pictures with my camera...

Here are a few of the rear setup from the inside... I need to order some billet reservoir mounts that will mount to the cage.

Nice and clean and did not lose that much space with the coilover towers in the back.

Shot of the rear...

Got the center section of the belly pan together as well... this will get covered with uhmw once the rest of the belly is done.

Ended up mounting the ebrake line to the frame... I will see how it works here and move it if needed. When flexed with the forklift there was plenty of slack, so shouldn't be an issue.

Looking down from the top of the rear tire... not a lot of space in there to fit everything and make it all clear.

Super happy with the stance...!

Baby's got back... :D

more later...

#259 ·
One day i hope to have to money to do a build like this! Sick FJ!!!

#262 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.