Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Imperial cruiser build thread

14K views 39 replies 9 participants last post by  fensterer 
#1 · (Edited)
Since I have been on this forum for a while and never posted a build thread, I thought it was finally time! Yay! ;)

My rig as it sits today!

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Sky Car

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Car

So...My first FJ was a Silver 2008 which I bought new in November '07. Only mods I did was add a 3 inch Skyjacker lift and 33" ProComp M/Ts mounted on 17x9 ProComp wheels and a body mount chop. I also added the Predator steps from N-FAB.

Wheel Tire Car Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light

I kept until 2012 and about 2 months after I paid it off, my wife and I drove into a Toyota dealer and saw the new 2013 Trail Teams sitting there and the first thing my wife said was "oooh...pretty". That was good enough for me and we bought it. As you see in the pic below, my wife wasn't the only one excited about it, my daughter was really happy we were getting another one. ;) Sadly I couldn't keep both so after a little over a month, I sold the '08. ;(

Here is the new addition the first weekend we had it.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Now for the slow build but progress has been made. First "mods".

Vehicle Car Automotive tail & brake light Grille Automotive lighting

I had also added the OEM hitch as well as mine didn't come with it.

#3 · (Edited)
Some artsy photos in stock form and it's first trip to the OHV park in Bridgeport!

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive side marker light Plant

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Vehicle Wheel

Tire Sky Cloud Wheel Car

#4 · (Edited)
First major mods was the Toytec Boss 3" lift with Light Racing upper control arms. I also had Dave at Trailworx do the BMC for me and install Spidertrax 1.25" spacers.

Wood Amber Circuit component Audio equipment Hardwood

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Light

Wheel Tire Blue Automotive tire Light

Later on I did add a set of 285/75/R16 BFG KO2's

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car

#5 · (Edited)
Checking out Treadnecks OHV park near Granbury, TX.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Reactions: asnobody
#6 · (Edited)
Had to add the vintage 4WD emblem! :bigthumb:

Motor vehicle Vehicle Grille Car Automotive design

Reactions: Heinie_21
#7 · (Edited)
Some gratuitous off road shots while visiting family in Albuquerque, New Mexico! I miss that place! :)

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheeling in Rio Puerco Canyon area west of Albuquerque. :bigthumb:

Cloud Sky Tire Wheel Vehicle

Cloud Sky Tire Wheel Automotive tire

My TT and my brother's sweet 4Runner!

Tire Wheel Sky Land vehicle Vehicle

Sky Tire Cloud Ecoregion Automotive tire

#8 · (Edited)
Next up was having Dave at Trailworx install my "new" Expedition One Rear Swing Out. It's actually the bumper off of Mad Mike's yellow FJ. I bought it from him when he decided to have one of Dave's rear swing out's installed on his. New race and bearings on the pivot, new lights and powdercoat and called it good! ;)

I also added a couple RotoPax canisters and will be adding a gas RotoPax soon.

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car

#9 · (Edited)
My brother had given me a set of PIAA 520's XTREME lights for my birthday back when I still had my '08 but never found the right light bar to mount on the bumper.

Tire Automotive tire Tread Wheel Automotive design

But then, only a few years later...I gave Dave at Trailworx a call and he started building this:
Tire Wheel Vehicle Grille Automotive tire

#10 ·
Then I ordered an Engo e9000 winch with synthetic line, Factor 55 Prolink, 1.5" Factor 55 Hawse fairlead and a couple Crosby shackles.

which then were installed along with the PIAA lights onto this...

Now we are getting somewhere! ;)

#11 ·
Got some more goodies! :)

Also installed a set of brilliantly designed grab handles from GZila Designs! :D

That's it at the moment. Hopefully something new next week! ;)

Reactions: asnobody
#16 ·
Added some new Rigid SR-Q Series flood lights. And finally got the front bumper lights wired up to the switch panel and sPod. :)

#17 ·
Here is the switch panel and sPod. Rock lights haven't been added yet, hopefully in the near future. ;)

#18 ·

#19 · (Edited)
Really like this build. Planning to bring some elements over to my own 2013 TTSE - particularly the rack floodlights and the sPOD. Thanks for posting the build info.

Minor question - how did you run the wiring on the floods? It seems like the wires are going to the rear of the vehicle. I'm planning on putting two of those Rigid floods into the existing mounting holes at the back of my BajaRack, was considering trying to run the wire down the hinge side of the rear door and under the frame.

Thanks

#20 ·
Thanks! Glad you like the build so far. As far as the lights though, I didn't have the time to do it myself so I had 4Wheel Parts do it. They drilled through the roof at the rear of the roof rack and sealed it up pretty good. Then ran the wiring tightly along the roof rack.

#25 ·
Great thread! Your rig looks great! Subscribed[emoji1417]

Thanks! :)

Sent from a NiPhone, using auto-correct to eff things up with Tapatalk
nothing says more about FJC's than folks who have owned, 2 even 3 of them ...

sweet Cement Gray TT ... it along with Radiant Red are the two best TT colours in my opinion ...
:clap:
My favorite colors too! :bigthumb: I wasn't sure if I could live with all the red interior though. I'm sure it would grow on me eventually. ;)

#24 ·
nothing says more about FJC's than folks who have owned, 2 even 3 of them ...

sweet Cement Gray TT ... it along with Radiant Red are the two best TT colours in my opinion ...
:clap:

Reactions: fensterer
#26 · (Edited)
It's been awhile so at least a small update in order. Now that my FJ is finally payment free, hope to start some new mods this spring. Already updated the front shocks in the Toytec Boss lift to Radflo's but still using the Toytec coilover. Looking to upgrade the rear springs to the Toytec Boss HDs or Icon springs. Changing out the shocks in the rear as well to either Radflo as well. After that, I'm thinking at least some armor underneath and rear storage. BTW, it's been a little while but I also went with the Cooper STT PRO tires and love them! :)

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Plant Vehicle

#27 ·
Been a while but a small update on the build. I replaced the rear Toytec Superflex springs with the HDs and replced thje shocks in the coilovers with Radflos. Nice improvement. Also, I finally added my Molle rack on the cargo door. The next thing will be adding at least the front skid by Budbuilt. Just need to find time to put it on.

#29 ·
A little late in the response but thanks. :cheers: I reside in DFW but haven't been going out too much lately. Last trip was down to Hidden Falls over the summer. Hoping to get to Jambo next year. :)

#30 ·
Soooooo....yeah,....it's been a minute. Wasn't planning to be gone this long from here but just had to try and get back to updating since there will soon be more mod updates and hopefully adventures to share in the coming year. Ordered some new items for the FJ and will update in the coming weeks.

Hope everyone is staying healthy and safe and are having a good Holiday season. Most recent pic of my rig during a quick trail trip. Looking forward to a Colorado trip or two this year! :)

#31 ·
Finally updating this build thread. Not too many changes but there will be some new additions soon. For now this is what id did recently...

Installed some molle storage racks from Orangebox, will be adding some gear for them soon.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Window Automotive design

Motor vehicle Vehicle Mode of transport Window Automotive design

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Motor vehicle Trunk

Also installed some Rockmen Rear Lower Links with armor from RCI. Love these but looking to get some ToyTec (Elka) rear Aluma 2.5 Shocks to help soften the stiffer ride from the links but will add a couple more inches of travel off road.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Installed the BudBuilt Front skid. More skids will be added. I'm a graphic designer and have been trying to design something for my FJ for a while. Finally decided on a Star Wars theme for my "Imperial Cruiser" and produced a partial wrap at my work. Actually looks really cool in person.

Automotive parking light Wheel Sky Automotive side marker light Tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive carrying rack Sky

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Automotive carrying rack

Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire

Near future mods will be 4:56 gears (ordered), 315/70/R17s, 17" wheels, exhaust, upgrade the rear shocks, more skids and hopefully upgrade the bumper lights.

Attachments

#34 ·
Thank you! Slowly but surely, it will get done....though it will most likely never be done. ;)

#35 ·
No snow at the "base" so we took a short jaunt in the Imperial Cruiser into the mountains to walk the dog.
😉
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive side marker light Automotive tail & brake light

Tire Wheel Car Snow Vehicle

Wheel Tire Snow Car Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive side marker light

#37 ·
Thanks. Yep, definitely a keeper. She’s been tolerating me for a long time, I’m pretty lucky. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.