KorbenDallas "Hawkeye" Build Thread - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Member Build Ups Section for members to post their FJ buildups.

34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2016, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
KorbenDallas "Hawkeye" Build Thread

I'm still relatively new (March 2016). This is my first build thread. 2011 Army Green Very Special To Me Edition. This is going to be a bit strange because I've already done most of the work! Quick background on me: I'm a musician at night. I play the drums. I needed something to haul gear after spending 16 years destroying mazda protege interiors. It was between the FJ or a scion XB and well...

I want to put this thread together because It seems like I did a bunch of really weird and detailed stuff that either doesn't exist on this site, or wasn't well labeled or organized. I'm talking *detailed* here. If you are going to do any work at all to the interior of your truck, this thread might be for you. If even ONE person learns how to approach something or figures out a clever trick and avoids hours of frustration and possible financial loss or general loss of sanity, then this thread has been a success. I'm gonna start at the beginning... but its going to take me a few days to put this together. I have a bajillion images that I'm having to resize for this thread, I can provide full size images if necessary. Mods please be gentle.

The basic rundown as follows:

1. Pull all the emblems because I like a clean look.
2. Bolt on some sliders for the inevitable parking lot wars.
3. Large audio install.
4. I have it all torn apart, might as well insulate everything. Emphasis on everything.
5. Well I have the panels out might as well do all of the lights. 18 bulbs and two headlights. I think the dash lights are the only things left.
6. Lets build a subwoofer box for the first time!

Day One. March 17th, 2016. A green truck on St. Patrick's Day. Bone stock except for the Baja Rack and Nitto Trail Grapplers in stock size.

For those of you not aware, this truck is a bit of a unicorn. 2011 supposed-to-be-trail-teams, but the tsunami hampered parts delivery and these are now called "Upgrade package 3" or jokingly the NSSE Not So Special Edition models. I think there are only 80-ish accounted for on this forum and I've only run across one other 6MT like mine on here... so maybe there are 10 6MTs ever? 46,000 miles upon delivery to me. Sat for about a year on a lot at Fort's Toyota in Pekin IL. Paid $29,991 before tax, title, fees and delivery.

Options on this particular truck:

Army Green (badass)
Blacked out trim.
Matching roof paint for the TT models.
Stock Steelies (The stock steelies are completely fire. I would I have traded alloys down for them.)
This truck didn't have rock rails, didn't appear to ever have them considering the condition of the threads.
May have had a stock roof rack on it at one point because there was some ghosting around the roof mounts.
JBL premium sound system. Six disc changer in the dash. Six speakers and a woofer. (The highest of fi, but more on that later... for a stock system its really not bad)
Didn't have the top of the dash mount compass gauges, not sure if it was supposed to.
Green interior seat inserts that are pretty slick.
I appear to have a locking rear dif, traction control, something called A-track and I think I have some additional options to the immediate right of the steering column.
It also came with USB and AUX inputs, not sure if that's also across all models of this year.

Last edited by KorbenDallas; 09-28-2016 at 09:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2016, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Re: KorbenDallas "Hawkeye" Build Thread

Next steps!

1. Spend most of a Saturday removing all of the emblems. I think if you want to do this correctly, you may still want to buff the paint out a bit when you are done. In the right lighting I can still see some ghosting.
2. Also try to flip the air damn around on the BAJA RACK so it doesn't say BAJA RACK.
3. Don't forget to replace the weather stripping on the rack air damn or its gonna flap in the wind like a sunovabiatch. This rack is LOUD.
4. In fact... Lets just take the rack off. Lets sell it to @camdz

Loganbeere likes this.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
(Thread Starter)

I'm learning all kinds of things about the previous owner. Like how they are apparently weapons-grade stupid and shouldn't be allowed to own anything that weighs 4330lbs and is capable of speeds over 3mph.

1. I have no drip channels. $500.
2. The mouth-breathers that installed the rack put metal to metal and chipped the paint, leaving rust spots. Paint the roof rail to rail. $400.
3. The aftermarket windshield leaks. $365.
4. Windshield guy broke the roof trim. $210.
5. Windshield guy forgot the lower trim doesn't come with the new windshield.
6. Windshield guy hates me.
7. Windshield guy managed to break 6 of 8 body clips holding the elbows on each corner of the windshield. $35.
8. Elbow pieces flapping in the wind on the highway on the way home from the body shop. Clap your hands say yeah!

FJ BRUZER and FJFool like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2016, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Lets ride! Kansas Rocks. @xmarkx85 tried to show me how fast these things go on the highway out here. They are fast. 85mph in a brick.

Also see @camdz and @Iconic_

Ordered some sliders from Demello. It had been about 60 days at this point. Guess I'll be getting them in the mail literally the week after this ride. Makes sense.

gettin' stuck.

I got stuck twice, there was a dude in a razr (someone help me remember) who pulled me out of the first one.
Second time I got stuck sliding backwards down a hill. Dude in the dark green flat wrap (pictured left) winched me all the way up the hill. Mad props for saving me. Can't recall his name either.

Iconic_ likes this.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Old School fund raiser car wash! Support your local punk bands so they can pile in a van and go on tour. This is actually the second car wash this truck has received in my care. Been six months now.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Ok. Demello Round Tube Sliders. Very cool product. Very well built. Very well wrapped and delivered... 64 days after I placed the order. Take the time frame they give you and double it. Don't expect the girl on the phone to be able to offer you anything. BUT MURICAN' MADE TAKES TIME BLAH BLAH BLAH. Yeah that's fine, but I still expect you to be able to deliver what you said you'd deliver. I went on trails for the first time with nothing. Got lucky. I suppose as consolation, the yahoos in my parking garage can mash their doors into these things all they want.

$530 Total. $75 for powder coat and $120 for shipping.

90 lbs of modern art! My apartment complex management folks (where delivery occurred) were a bit puzzled by this one.

They call me Bruce and FJFool like this.

Last edited by KorbenDallas; 09-28-2016 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Installing sliders solo, on your back, on a concrete floor of a storage mart garage space that's a foot wider than your truck, in 100F temperatures... sucks.

It is recommended to clean the mounting threads on your frame rails prior to installation but good luck getting to about half of them. I would imagine some anti-size and elbow grease will do the trick just the same.

Depending on how your sliders are gusseted, you may experience interference with your parking brake cable housings on each side. Again, this was something I had to dig for in terms of a solution. I don't think I have pictures of the "after", but essentially you're going to want to swap the two rear cable mounts, switch them back to front. Both sides of the truck. This gives you a slightly better angle as one of the cable mounts has a stand off away from the frame, but I think it produces another clearance issue with your rear body mounts. No issues thus far, but knowing what I know now, I'd lean towards making newer brackets out of something galvanized or weatherproofed in order to extend the clearance of the cable mounts. I want to say the instructions with pictures were available from a demello installation guide for these sliders. I found it on the internet.

Kraemer and AUStriker like this.

Last edited by KorbenDallas; 09-28-2016 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
(Thread Starter)

A proper shop! With a lift! I have my own bay here for a couple hundred bucks a month. Crazy old man lives in a shack he built in the back. Some nice cars here. I can store and wrench all I want 24/7. No AC still and its 95F inside, but at least there is space and a roof. I have some huge fans and some lights at my disposal. Have a shelving unit that I can leave here with my tools.

This is June 15th, I think. Day one of the everything build. I'm not aware of this yet, but I'm gonna spend about three months of nights and weekends in this building.

They call me Bruce and FJFool like this.

Last edited by KorbenDallas; 09-28-2016 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:02 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
She's coming along nicely! You going to make it out Oct 15 for Creepy Crawl? We should probably put those sliders to use.

And Jonathan is the guy in the wrapped green FJ. Good dude for sure, and I don't think he posts here. That was right before I got to pull a Jeep AND Bronco up a hill at the same time!
Old 09-29-2016, 06:06 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2513 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
KorbenDallas previously said: View Post
Lets ride! Kansas Rocks. @xmarkx85 tried to show me how fast these things go on the highway out here. They are fast. 85mph in a brick.

Also see @camdz and @Iconic_
Hey that was a pretty good day, we need to do it again. You guys should have seen the look on the guys face at the check-in station. I was the first to arrive and the park was really quiet. We talked FJ's for a while and then you guys showed up with like 9 FJ's and Tacos! It was Toyota day for sure at KRRP.

I'll also go to the Creepy Crawl.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Member Build Ups

Tags
amplifier , car audio , component , dynamat , led

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List