Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

The Bandi Build

192K views 552 replies 129 participants last post by  Iconic_ 
#1 · (Edited)
OK... here are a couple of shots (updated as I dod mods)... :rocker:

Current Status Image !!! (see the last page first for most upated info)...

See less See more
#240 ·
Today I installed the piaa light bar (plus1accessories) I won at the FJNortheaster '11' run raffle drawing... not complete yet, I still need to wire them up, although they did supply a complete wire harness assembly including the relays, switch, plugs, every connection needed from bat' to lights.... amazing kit, well thought out for sure, plus the placement of the lights allow this bad to be utilized carring longer items such as ladders and whatnot....

#241 · (Edited)
Well, I said WTH, and went to wally' world and picked up some blue halogen 3-1/2" lights for my demello bumper, it looked like it was missing something after seeing the roof rack lights mounted.... I will still need to wire these up too, but it's a step closer...

I adjusted them with washers for height, just easier then the adjustments on the lights themselves, and used stainless steel hardware from homedepot....

#243 · (Edited)
Since over the last five years, my silver parts have taken a beating on the trails, I decided to black out the rear bumper ends and center section today, which will also match the Demello front better..... I masked it off with blue painters tape, scuffed with 220, wiped down with alcohol, painted with my normal paint of choice, rustoleum professional flat black... Turn out perfect !.... Worth the hour of work it took !...

I did not remove anything, masked it out tight, can't tell at all once it's done...

All Complete...

After doing that much... I believe I will compete the blackout and do the bezel, mirrors, and door handles next...

OHHH, And I HATE Running my Stock Tires... LoLoLoL, but had to since i was using my FJ for work, doing so gave me 3-4 MPG's more !... :bigthumb:... I'll get my Swampers/Steelies back on when I get home from Missouri in the fall or winter....

#244 ·
OK, I Did a complete blackout today out of boardom.... LoLoL... :bigthumb:

Masking of the front Bazel...

I painted the mirrors in place, masking the off and painting only the silver portions... worked real well... I also pulled the door handles off and painted them too...

and the completed bezel...

More shots.... I LIKE IT I THINK !.... :rocker:

#246 ·
Thanks Brad.... :cheers:

I just can't believe the reflection on the side of my truck....even thru the scratches.... I have never waxed it, not once in over five years... :rofl:

#249 ·
Thanks Rue.... Yeaa, the Snorkel has been there for years... LoLoL... :rofl:...

#250 ·
Nice blackout project Bandi! Some of my silver trim has become faded and scratched up after 5 yrs. After seeing how things turned out for you, I have the confidence to do mine.

#251 · (Edited)
^^^ Yep, it was real easy... just took a little time to scuff it all up to not leave any shiney spots for the paint not to adhere to, then wiped it done with rubbing alcohol I found in our bathroom... and took my time with painting, edging in first, then fillin' in the reat... 2-3 coats, done....

The Rustoleum Professional Flat Black drys quik, and coats thick, by the time I edge one piece in, do the next, then back to the first piece, it's already dry enough for the next coat...

I did this outside, so I had a pair of tweasers on hand in case of a piece of sut landing on my smooth paint, and only had two pieces of dust hit while doing the whole blackout, not bad at all, just tweased it off and hit the location with another quik coat...

#252 ·
I was VERY close to buying those same fog lights today for my ARB bumper......

Have you wired them up yet? If so are you happy with how they work?

I don't really expect much for $18.....but I figure as long as they don't catch on fire it's better than spending $300 FREAKING DOLLARS on the IPF fog kit

#253 ·
No, I have not wired them up yet... but they seem pretty nicely built IMO... for $18 bucks, and they came with a complete wiring setup too, relay switch, etc... just can't beat it.... I guess it depends on what you are looking for, if you want performance, you will pay for performamce, but if you are only trying to fill a whole (myself) and want it to function somewhat too, these can't be beat !....

#254 ·
yeah that's the same boat I'm in.... the bumper has covers where the fogs go... but I kinda just want something there. I don't NEED fog lights... so I don't want to spend a bunch on them.

I'll spend more money on lighting where it actually matters... When I do my roof lights and driving lights I won't cheap out.... Fogs I really don't care about though...

#255 · (Edited)
Received my Walker Evans Adj. front Coilovers back from Walker Evans today, along with 4 skyjacker shock boots from summit racing... I plan on adding some good grease to the shafts, and add the boots to keep the sand, mud, and salt off the shafts... I will need to cut the boots shorter to fit properly, but they fit rather well !...

The rebuild ran a good heavy Buck' since my 4-5 year old coilover adjuster collars were siezed to the shock body, and the shafts were pitted causing the seals to leak, and the shafts were siezed into the lower shock mounts too, so with all the hard parts needed (shafts, shock bodies, adjust rings, bottom mounts, mount sperical bearings), it ran me $300.44 for parts/rebuild and $48.54.

BUT AT LEAST I HAVE THEM BACK NOW !... :bigthumb:

In the BOX, Safely WRAPPED !...

Bad Parts all returnd also, NICE SERVICE !...

Coilover with Boot slipped on, I will cut these to fit before finalizing the assembly...

Skyjacker boot package...

I ordered 4 skyjacker shock boots ($2.75 ea), so I can add them to my rear walker evans shocks too, since I had the rears rebuilt over a year ago, this way maybe they will last longer this time around...

#258 ·
Yeaa, for how fubar'd they were, ya can't beat the price for almost all new parts !... I need to paint my springs now, they look like crap compared to the rest of the coilover LoLoL...

Thanks, the Demello bumper is awesome, Not bulky at all, just the right proportions !

What was the shipping cost?
Their cost to me was $48.54, and I used ups to ship um' out, cost to me $68, next time I will use USPS...

#260 ·
Greased up my rear shock shafts with high temp' red sticky wheel bearing grease and added skyjacker boots, attempting to keep the shafts from pitting up and needing another costly rebuild done on them.... I think it will work jus' fine !... :bigthumb:

I will most likely not have the time to add the boots to the rebuilt fronts and get them installed before I am deployed tomorrow, so that will need to wait 2-3 months, plus I am in the middle of sanding the springs and painting them, since almost all the powder coat is pealing off them...

#261 · (Edited)
Well, Since I am home in Jersey from Joplin MO this week, and Irene is taking her schweet time getting here, I decided it was a good time to spray my rims with rustoleum professional flat black since the factory paint was all but gone...

I did this on the FJ, and I cut a 1/4 round piece of cardboard which I held in my had to limit the overspray... turned out great for a 15min job, and the surface rust is held off for another year...

NO MORE PINK LUG NUTS...
:rofl:

#263 ·
Pulled my Roof Rack off yesturday, scuffed and sanded all the components, and today, I painted them up with three cans of handy dandy rustoleum professional flat black... It turned out GREAT...

Joeisip' came by and suffed the rack into his car, and took it home to apply it to a friends FJ... THANKS JOE !...

Now, MY FJ IS BALD.... just like ME ! :rofl:

My ROOF was beyond discusting, and even worse below the old roof rack mounts !... Had to use some Oil Eater Degreaser on it, now its BRIGHT WHITE again... Great Stuff, just spray on, wait a few minutes, wipe off, and it perfectly clean, then hosed the FJ off...

Now to collect prices for my new BajaRack Utililty Flatrack !... :rocker:

#265 ·
Ohhhhh Yeaaaaa ! :bigthumb:

#268 ·
It Feels good to have a heavy duty rack that can be utilized for anything now, BajaRack BR-TYFJ-UT-M...

I did have a little issue with the bolts that connect the rack to the mounting brackets, they were too small IMO, 5/16, and the holes a big enough to fit 3/8 bolts with no problem at all, so after break one of the 5/16, I went out and purchased the 3/8 bolts, $50+ bucks later... PERFECT... I used the 5/16 SS washers (very thin) that came with the rack along with 3/8 galvanized washers (Thick) above and below, utilizing 3/8" x 1" SS bolts... I feel safe now, the 5/16 gave away too eazy for usinga 1/4" drive socket, and 4 more bolts broke when removing them...

Broken 5/16" x 3/4" SS bolt next to the 3/8"x 1" SS bolt with the 5/16" and 3/8" washers...

5/16" x 3/4" SS bolts with 5/16" SS washers...

3/8" x 1" SS bolts with 5/16" SS washer and 3/8" galv. washer...

#296 ·
Bandi! What tires are these, holy cow are they cool looking!

Poorly typed on the paid auto-guide app, that occasionally works, but never lets you upload pictures larger than a postage stamp.

#269 ·
Next Mod is to get my front walkr evans coilovers back on, the stock springs with 4" of spacers is not holding up to the weight with the bumper and winch...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.