My mediocre FJ - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Member Build Ups Section for members to post their FJ buildups.

51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
My mediocre FJ

My love for FJ's started when I was just a young lad, my older brother's first "car" was a 1974 FJ40. Now when we got the thing, it didn't exactly run. It was pretty beat up, but it had a CB radio and a horn that went "arooga" and that had my attention locked in. It sat in our garage for a long while with nothing really happening to it. So while it was his first car, it never really was used as that, but we still had it, and I would sit in the back with friends and act like we were soldiers. Regardless, he ended up getting a ricey little 1994 Honda Del Sol later on, that actually became his car.

Anyways, he went on after that to continue the FJ tradition and got a 2011 FJ TRD. From there the addiction reignited. From a little before this, my dad, brother, and I began restoring that '74 FJ40, and just last year finally finished it all. Not so much a trail FJ, but more of just a fun driver.

My mediocre FJ-fj.jpg

I knew I wanted an FJ, so that's what I went out and did. Got a 2014 FJ Ultimate Edition.

Didn't want to deal with the dealership in Wichita, so I drove to Omaha to pick it up, but it was worth it. From the dealer installed was the bug guard, and roof rack (might be standard on TRD, I'm not sure). Nothing happened for a while, besides a short little antenna because the big one made me nervous.

Story time is over now, let's get down to the deets:

**Disclaimer: my idea of a hassle is probably much much less than yours. I'm not too experienced but dammit I try my hardest, pls don't judge haha**

Current mods (EXTERIOR)

-Tinted driver and passenger windows to match the rear ones
Self-explanatory I'd imagine. Went to a shop in town to do this, wasn't about to dick this one up. It was cheap and took about 30-45 minutes total. The color and darkness aren't exactly the same as the rear windows but it's close enough. I'm sure I'm the only one that actually notices this but that's just because it's my car and I guess I'm picky like that.

-Addictive Desert Designs Stealth Fighter Front Bumper
  • 30" Rigid E-Series White-Combo LED
  • 20" Rigid E-Series White-Combo LED
  • 2 x Rigid D2s White Driving LED
  • 3 x Rigid E-Series/Radiance 10" Light Covers
This turned into a pain in the ass, like most things. After installing the bumper, I realized I didn't do enough research. The windshield washer fluid reservoir was now exposed. Also, the front fenders are going to need to be modified to fit. Rather than cut the fenders, I went downtown to a rubber store, and got a few sheets of 1/4" rubber (I think, don't exactly remember thickness), and trimmed those to size, and then bolted them to the wheelwell. So far, these have held up great, and I think they look damn decent myself.

To deal with the whole exposed windshield washer fluid reservoir situation, I ordered the Expedition One Windshield Washer Fluid Reservoir Kit, with the air-pump relocation kit as well. These installed fairly effortlessly, and I'm happy with both.

The last issue with this bumper was the winch situation. For some reason, the recommended (from the Addictive Desert Designs website) winch that I purchased doesn't exactly fit into the intended spot. Haven't figured this one out yet, just need to tackle it but I've been putting it off. It'll happen eventually though.

-Addictive Desert Designs Stealth Fighter Rear Bumper
  • 2 x Rigid SR-M Flush White-Spot LED
The rear bumper install went much smoother. Only modifications I needed to do was drill two holes for the parking sensors, and add some shims underneath to the bolts so it'd sit right. Much, much better than the hassle of the front bumper.

-HELLA Supertone Horn
Again, self-explanatory. Didn't like the original beep beep, so I changed the beep beep to a new beep beep. Although the other day the horn stopped working, haven't tried to see what the problem was besides checking wire connections. I'll probably figure this out in a few days.

-6" Ventlock
Holds the back window open and keeps the light off. I don't actually know if this really changes anything with the wind buffeting when the windows are down, but I like to think it does anyway.

-Stubby antenna
Original antenna made me nervous with how bendy it was at high speeds, and I didn't want to snap it. Got this off of Amazon, doesn't work that much worse than the original antenna in my opinion. I don't usually use the radio anyways so it's not a huge issue.

-Dicked around with Plastidip
Initially wanted to do just the badges, ended up going a bit overboard. Luckily it just peels right off, I just haven't gotten around to doing that on the grill yet. I plan on leaving it on the badges, though, cause I think it looks neat.

-3" lift w/ new UCA's (around 10/6/17)
This was from Suspension Connection. I'm not sure how this went, I had to get back to school so I took a different car and left the FJ at my uncle's body shop and he put it all together. All I know is it looks great, rides comfortably, and I couldn't be more grateful.

-Toyo Open Country M/T LT315/75R16 (around 10/6/17)
These are some large tires. Also orchestrated by my uncle, and again, I couldn't be more grateful or happier. They ride great, although it took a couple drives to get used to. Feels more like a boat now, but also somehow more responsive. ALSO GOT RID OF THAT PESKY STEERING WHEEL SHAKE THAT USED TO HAPPEN AROUND 55-65MPH. For that alone it was worth the purchase!

-Diode Dynamics Tail Light LEDs, Backup LEDs, and Side Mirror LEDs (10/12/17)
To brighten things up a bit. Plus I'm a sucker for free shipping, so that kinda pushed me over that last little edge. Still waiting to do turn signals though.

Current mods (INTERIOR)

-Switches for the lights
I just used the switches that came with the LED lights. Drilled a small fitting hole into the factory blanks, and wired it up. Looks kind of like a fighter-jet. I have replica factory switches laying around here somewhere, with a bunch of different graphics, but I'm not sure if I want to switch (haha pun not indended) to those or not.

-Dash mount for my phone
Another self-explanatory thing, so I'm not sure why I'm adding more information to all of these. Regardless, I don't know what kind this is. I think it was a group buy from massdrop or something, and I thought it looked like it would work on the FJ's funky dash. I was correct and it has definitely served me well.

-JBL subwoofer and speakers
Got the JBL subwoofer first, as well as the back pillar speakers, and didn't realize that I had forgotten to do the rest of the speakers. For a while, and I mean like a few years, the sound came predominantly from the back. I just kind of thought that I hadn't noticed it when I first got the car. Eventually I decided to investigate, and realized that the front speakers were still stock. I don't know the scientific reason for why this made the sound come from the back, but I ordered JBL speakers for the front, put those in, and it has sounded far better ever since.

Current mods (UNDER THE HOOD)

-TRD cold air intake
Not sure how I ended up with this. I don't remember if that was from the dealership or if I put it in afterwards. It's been a long few years, cut me some slack lol

-Expedition One Windshield Washer Fluit Reservoir Kit (+ fuel pump relocation kit)
Like I said earlier, this was to solve the issue created by the front bumper. I think this was grossly overpriced, and I probably could've made something similar myself, I make impulsive and not-always-great financial decisions, especially regarding my money-pit of an FJ.

Future mods

-Man-A-Fre Auxiliary Tank
Yes yes I know, not DOT approved, just don't tell anyone it'll be our little secret
-Figure out the damn winch situation
This should've been done a while ago but I'm lazy sometimes.
-New headlights
The stock headlights now feel super dim, but I also don't want to blind anyone, so we'll see
------------------

Well that's about the end of everything for now. Time for some SUPER HIGH QUALITY SHOTS

My mediocre FJ-img_4998.jpg.jpg

My mediocre FJ-img_4997.jpg.jpg

My mediocre FJ-img_5003.jpg.jpg

My mediocre FJ-img_4995.jpg.jpg

My mediocre FJ-img_5001.jpg.jpg

My mediocre FJ-img_5002.jpg.jpg

Thank you for reading through this boring ramble of a post

What's next on the menu for me?

Winch
Aux fuel tank
New headlights

I guess that's it for now

Last edited by SomeGuyWithALaptop; 10-12-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 08:54 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1870 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: My mediocre FJ

Good pictures of the 40 should be in this thread also since it's a "All in the Family" deal

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Post Re: My mediocre FJ

Quote:
Bar3K previously said: View Post
Good pictures of the 40 should be in this thread also since it's a "All in the Family" deal
Ask and you shall receive!

These are some old pictures, not too great of quality. If the FJ40 wasn't so dusty right now, and it also wasn't night I'd run out to the barn and get some better shots. But these'll have to satisfy for now

My mediocre FJ-fj4.jpg

My mediocre FJ-fj2.jpg

My mediocre FJ-fj6.jpg

My mediocre FJ-fj3.jpg

My mediocre FJ-fj5.jpg

In the back you might be able to make out a couple of our other current projects: a '67 Pontiac Bonneville and a '41 Lincoln Continental Cabriolet (well this ones hidden underneath a car cover but it's still kind of in shot) but I doubt those would get much interest here

Winch
Aux fuel tank
New headlights

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 01:13 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Garage

Not boring at all. Thanks for sharing!!

By the way, does your front hoop/ram bar get in the way of your headlights? Mine does and cuts off a corner. That might help with your lighting
SomeGuyWithALaptop likes this.

Quote:
Iconic_ previously said:
LEDLIYFJL: Live Every Day Like Its Your FJ's Last
Mad Maxxine Build - 2007 Fresco Silver Metallic
IG: madxmaxxine
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 06:00 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1870 Post(s)

Thanks for sharing pictures of the other FJ.
Impressive restoration
Love the tires, we used to run them on our farm trucks.

This is your thread. You can add whatever you want
Pictures of projects, whether cars or flowers, are interesting for someone.

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
jamesepoop previously said: View Post
Not boring at all. Thanks for sharing!!

By the way, does your front hoop/ram bar get in the way of your headlights? Mine does and cuts off a corner. That might help with your lighting
It does, but only very slightly. Doesn't seem to be enough to make it unsafe or anything

Winch
Aux fuel tank
New headlights

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 08:53 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)

Beautiful rigs!! Thanks for sharing. Both are very nicely done.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 04:16 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)

I am green with envy..real nice X 2
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

@ SomeGuy... curious, did your TTUE come with a black grill or a white grill?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 01:25 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1154 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to iwashmycar

Quote:
jaymacbraun previously said: View Post
@ SomeGuy... curious, did your TTUE come with a black grill or a white grill?
stock is white on all TTUEs. He mentioned Plastidipping

Awesome thread too!!!!

-Adam

'07 Black Diamond 4WD AT UR

TLCA #22985
295s | 3" | BL | Lights | Armor | Rails | Snorkel | CB | Dent(s)
Feb. 2017 Member of the Month
In the Midwest? OHIO FJ Owners

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Member Build Ups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in