Maine Army Green FJC - Page 4 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Member Build Ups Section for members to post their FJ buildups.

91Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: Maine Army Green FJC

Quote:
Slonomo previously said: View Post
I like the green color, it's growing on me. Might have to buy another one!
Army Green is my favorite color by far, but I still don't like the white roof, so I'm finally going to get around to painting it to match soon.
Only downside to the green is it really shows all the trail stripes, in person it looks like a pack of wild cats attacked the sides of my FJ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 09:34 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)

srhamlin -

The scenery shown in your Bay of Fundy photos is spectacular, that must have been a memorable trip.

A few questions for you:
1. Did you install your ExtremeAire Magnum compressor yet? If so, care to share some photos of the setup? That is one beast of a compressor, 1.5HP & 80+ amps.

2. What was the major impediment to finishing up the Koito projector headlights? You obviously have no reluctance to tackle complex upgrades, so just curious if there was a specific issue that brought things to a halt. I like the idea of using LED projectors transplanted from another Toyota model, rather than aftermarket units, and don't want to deal with the other issues unique to xenon systems.

(And, were you able to buy just the LED headlight modules, rather than complete Prius headlight housing assemblies? Standard Prius '16 and later, not Prius C?)
post #33 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 10:55 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Re: Back Bay FJ - Maine Army Green FJC

Quote:
srhamlin previously said: View Post
After some minor cosmetic changes (sticker peeling, OEM TT black door handles, mirrors, front grill, and light bar extraction...
Was the light bar "extraction" purely aesthetic or wind noise related? Do you still have those brackets?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
ltsnotme previously said: View Post
Was the light bar "extraction" purely aesthetic or wind noise related? Do you still have those brackets?
Aesthetics, light bars aren't my thing. Brackets are long gone, sorry.
post #35 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
FJtest previously said: View Post
srhamlin -

The scenery shown in your Bay of Fundy photos is spectacular, that must have been a memorable trip.

A few questions for you:
1. Did you install your ExtremeAire Magnum compressor yet? If so, care to share some photos of the setup? That is one beast of a compressor, 1.5HP & 80+ amps.

2. What was the major impediment to finishing up the Koito projector headlights? You obviously have no reluctance to tackle complex upgrades, so just curious if there was a specific issue that brought things to a halt. I like the idea of using LED projectors transplanted from another Toyota model, rather than aftermarket units, and don't want to deal with the other issues unique to xenon systems.

(And, were you able to buy just the LED headlight modules, rather than complete Prius headlight housing assemblies? Standard Prius '16 and later, not Prius C?)
The trip was amazing, we are heading back again this summer for sure.
I am just getting back to finishing the compressor install this week, I keep changing my mind from running tankless or not. It'll really just be for filling tires (and quickly at that ), I have cordless impact tools I carry with me on trips.

If you look at the pics of the Koito projector, in order to center the lens inside the round headlight housing, I would have to basically chop off the entire lower half of the bucket and housing to fit the fan and electronics. Then form an entire new piece out of ABS and mold it to the housing, in order to keep that entire unit inside the headlight assembly and out of the elements. Surely do-able, and I believe there is plenty of space to pull it off on the drivers side even with the battery I have, but it wasn't as much of a priority as everything else I still have to get done.
I still have my original headlights, and still have the Koitos, so someday I may dive back in. The projectors are from the 2016+ Prius' and can be purchased right from Lightwerks or RetroFitSource for around $300.
post #36 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

As posted in another thread, I got around to a few more things.
I got my hands on a set of the new Yokohama X-MT tires, 35x12.50R17, and mounted them to Fuel Nitros. I only put about 5k or so miles on the other setup, but I think the X-MT is pretty much ideal for the type of terrain we mostly wheel in so I made the switch.
I also finally got around to installing the Baja Designs XL Pros, swapped out the S2 Sports I had for Squadron Pros, and installed Squadron Sports on the cowl mounts.
This week I'm back to working on the compressor setup, as well as cutting and welding my Icon UCA's in order to add more caster and reduce camber.
Nothing but rain lately, so no chance for decent pictures... these will have to do for now:

IDFJ and debFJVT like this.
post #37 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 03:11 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

Quote:
Aesthetics, light bars aren't my thing. Brackets are long gone, sorry.
Did you get a chance to take it onto a highway while the light bar was still installed? Just wondering how bad the wind noise is with these mounts.
post #38 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 05:22 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)

Quote:
(snip)

If you look at the pics of the Koito projector, in order to center the lens inside the round headlight housing, I would have to basically chop off the entire lower half of the bucket and housing to fit the fan and electronics. Then form an entire new piece out of ABS and mold it to the housing, in order to keep that entire unit inside the headlight assembly and out of the elements. Surely do-able, and I believe there is plenty of space to pull it off on the drivers side even with the battery I have, but it wasn't as much of a priority as everything else I still have to get done.
I still have my original headlights, and still have the Koitos, so someday I may dive back in. The projectors are from the 2016+ Prius' and can be purchased right from Lightwerks or RetroFitSource for around $300.
I noticed the fan on the back of the Prius modules; in the original Prius setup, do the fans pull ambient air into the housing, or just circulate air within the sealed housing? In the OEM setup, are there any other heat-transfer features that would help pull heat out of the housing and dissipate it in the engine bay?
post #39 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
FJtest previously said: View Post

I noticed the fan on the back of the Prius modules; in the original Prius setup, do the fans pull ambient air into the housing, or just circulate air within the sealed housing? In the OEM setup, are there any other heat-transfer features that would help pull heat out of the housing and dissipate it in the engine bay?
They just circulate air inside the housing. They are barely warm to the touch when running, another reason I wanted to use them since the whole unit would have resided inside the housing.
post #40 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
ltsnotme previously said: View Post
Did you get a chance to take it onto a highway while the light bar was still installed? Just wondering how bad the wind noise is with these mounts.
I did for a couple days, think it may have whistled a tad. Guess depends how sensitive you are to such sounds. My awning, 35" MT's, and stuff piled on the roof don't bother me at all, but I see people upset by such things all the time. My music is always louder.
debFJVT and ltsnotme like this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Member Build Ups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in