Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Moment of Weakness � build

4K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  FJ Trails 
#1 ·
Moment of Weakness – build

Purchased my 2012 Iceberg FJ 4WD last August with 56K miles on it. Have been looking for one in a decent condition for a long time, till my wife got fed up and found one for me in Brunswick, GA. Was in pristine condition so had to jump on it.
The plan (there is always one, isn’t it) was to pay off the FJ before I started with the mods, but day after day and watching all the threads on this forum , hit me hard. I just had to jump in.
Hence the ‘Moment of weakness” build thread!

First mod: March 2018
Not really mod, more of an upgrade to the existing headlights , switched them out for H4 Snorda Automotive LED Headlight Bulbs, see pic below for the pic from amazon. It has worked out pretty good so far.. Not used to white light for headlights before so it looks amazing! I drive into work fairly early (anywhere from 4:30 – 5:30AM) and I have a few people flashing me to dim my lights, which is to be expected, but all in all has been a good and fairly cheap upgrade.

here it is as it sits now..

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Moment of Weakness – build

In the interim I was able to sell my fully custom ZX10r that I built, so that it can fund some of my madness..
I already purchased a few black out parts such as the mirrors, handles, gas tank lid.
(No sense in blacking out the bumpers since they will be replaced with aftermarket tube bumpers)
Thanks to KMC1 for the killer deal on the following lights and light bar (sorry about your divorce)
20" Rigid Combo Beam (spot/flood) LED Light bar
Qty 2 of 10" Rigid Flood Beam LED Light bars
Qty 2 of 6.25" PIAA Halogen Fog Lights
Qty 3 of OTRATTW toggle switches to control the lighting
SPOD Unit
Steel Black Light bar

Thanks to forum member: equalme for Blue Sea 5032 ST Blade split bus fuse block
Also purchased Allpro sliders should be on its way as I type this!

Next in line to go on the FJ..

Vision Nemesis 17x 9 wheels
Nitto Trail Grappler 295/70 R17 tires
OME heavy suspension
SPC UCAs
Fj Toymans shock skids and fastener bumpers

Currently scheduled for the 18th of May.. Pics to come soon....

#3 ·

Good job with selling the 10r. I had about $30,000 in parts put into mine, and it sold for $4500. Some dealership has it now, and they've been trying to sell it for $9,500 for over a year now.

Got any pictures of your lights at night? I was thinking about going a similar route with mine. Looking forward to the build.

#4 ·

Good job with selling the 10r. I had about $30,000 in parts put into mine, and it sold for $4500. Some dealership has it now, and they've been trying to sell it for $9,500 for over a year now.

Got any pictures of your lights at night? I was thinking about going a similar route with mine. Looking forward to the build.
Thanks! the good thing was that I built my zx10r from the ground up, bought a frame, engine etc piece by piece and put it together the way I wanted it, so there was a lot more money in it than I knew I would get for it. It was a hobby, gave me something to tinker with. Once I was done building it I was ready to move on to the next project (which is where the FJ comes in!)

Here are some pics I took this morning just as I headed out to work. Too bad I didn't have some before and after pics, but I hope this helps you with your decision. So far I have been happy with it. Even the price is fairy decent on amazon. Has the HI and Low beams which is always a plus, even though I have hardly ever used the HI so far!

Attachments

#6 · (Edited)

Had a bit of a set back today, my plans of getting the next set of mods installed on the 18th is now not possible as wife has to leave town to tend to her sick father. Might need to move my date with Southeast Overland out to June sometime. The good side to this is that I was able to order my LCNW 3 hoop front tube bumper (4 week build time) and Metaltech rear tube bumper. hopefully if I plan this right, I will be able to get the tires, bumpers, winch and suspension all done at one shot!

For those who are not in the know Metaltech currently has a pretty good groupbuy going on, you can check it out here: https://www.metaltech4x4.com/pages.php?pageid=8

Saved $80 by going on the groupbuy! :rocker:

#8 ·

Congrats on the new FJ. Looks like you are a planner, that's good. Be sure to have an end state goal. Otherwise, it will get pricey.

#9 ·
My Allpro Sliders came in last week, did some research on here and took some advice from the members and started by cleaning the sliders with dawn and water using a scotchbrite scrub pad. Was a busy weekend, so was only able to get one side done with the cleaning, you can see below, the first pic shown the slider half way scrubbed, and after it was fully scrubbed and laid out to sun dry!
Next step will be to clean with acetone and apply Rustoleum Etching primer (2 coats)

Attachments

#11 ·
An update: June 11 2018
Had the following items installed on the FJ:
LCNW Front Bumper with Warn VR10 Winch
Metal tech Rear tubular Bumper
SPC UCAs
OME heavy Load Suspension (2.5-3” Lift)
BMC
Wheels -Vision Nemesis 17x9 , -12 Offset
Tires – Nitto Trail Grappler 295/70/17
Got some before and after pics for comparison, even though the stock pics are on the first thread,

Attachments

#13 ·
Time to relocate the windshield washer reservoir tank. I was hoping to have that done before I took the vehicle in for the bumper swap, but shrockworks probably does not stock their relocation kits, so it didn’t make it to my place on time. The box finally arrived ( two weeks later) so this weekend project will be to relocate the washer tank.
Now I can already see some members rolling their eyes about spending $300 on this tank relocation kit, when it can be done for less than $10.. blah.. blah... Is this just unnecessary bling? ( yup sure is!!) My justification is that we spend thousands on every other component that is bolted on , which could also be DIyed by a capable fabricator, but the convinience factor and clean instal is undeniable. So there..

Attachments

#14 ·
Build is looking good so far! :)

Reactions: FJ Trails
#15 ·
thanks fensterer! just had a chance to go through your build, looks phenomenal! I am going down the same route with the PIAA 520 lights myself.

Short update: June 19 2018

Finished installing the windshield washer relocation kit. My compliments to the well thought out kit, the only thing I would add is some thing to keep the edges on the supporting bracket to chafe up against the wires it sits in close proximity to. Not a big deal, took care of that issue as you can see in this thread: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/4x4-off-road-tech/719626-question-about-shrockworks-windshield-washer-relocation-kit-2.html#post9099206

Attachments

#19 ·
Allpro Sliders installed last night! Also another pic of the front showing off the LCNW bumper (with reservoir relocated). I am so happy I spent a little extra and got that bumper! Absolutely love it!!

Attachments

#21 · (Edited)
Well,, usually my time after work gets consumed with lugging my son to soccer practice etc, thankfully with school being out and son packed off to summer camp for a week, gives me some free time in the evenings, trying to make the most of it :blueblob:

I have PIAA 520 (6.25" ) halogen lights that I want to install in that location that should cover most of the white areas that you see in the bumper. Trying to learn up on wiring, replays, Spod, SPST switches and the whole nine yards before I can progress with installing them. :crying
I have an Spod in my possession and a light bar, just need to figure out how I want to route my wires. :ninja:
Below is a picture of Dark Knight from his build, with my PIAAs installed at the lower section it should look pretty close!

Attachments

#22 · (Edited)
Installed the Auxillary lights and ran the wiring to the OEM switch. Nice of Toyota to leave the pickups available even though the vehicle does not come with the option. Next in line will be the Roof bar lights, which I am dreading, with the thickness of wires on hand there doesn't seem to be a way around it but to drill a hole on the roof to route the wires. Anyone know if I can buy one of those handy plugs that Toyota sold with the airdam and off road light set up? All the links on the threads have gone cold at this point..

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.