Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

The Rainstater Do It All Build

4K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Rainstater 
#1 · (Edited)
If you like watching people toss every bit of extra money they have endlessly at a build because they have an addiction to customizing vehicles than welcome to my build thread!

Most current photo of the FJC

The Build Goal
To outfit my rig so that it will function well for my work making signs and be able to escape out into the beautiful wilderness of the PNW on the weekends all while turning heads and bringing attention to my business. An Overland build looks to fit both needs perfectly.

The Check list so far
  • Baja Utility Flat Rack Small 51"x 91" (perfect for roof top tents and picking up sign supplies and materials. on order, arriving June)
  • Design and Build rear drawer and storage system that will function both for Overland use and onsite sign installation. (Still in design stage)
  • 3" Boss Ultimate Toytec Lift
  • Demello Front bumper (on order, arriving a long as time from now lol)
  • AP Rock Sliders (arrived and will be painting and installing in the next few weeks)
  • Raceline 935BZ Defender 17x9 12mm offset wheels
  • Toyo 295/70/17 RT tires (RT=MT/AT hybrid)
  • Black out all silver bits on the FJ. (likely done at the same time the wrap is performed)
  • Satin finish black half wrap and roof wrap (Waiting on Baja Rack)

The Future
  • Bushwhacker pocket fender flares
  • Demello or simular Rear Bumper with swing out
  • Skid plates
  • Rooftop tent
  • Rear power for fridge
  • Rear power converter for use of small tools
  • Additional lighting
  • Snorkel
  • Various camping equipment
  • Dual battery set up

Where it all began!
The day I purchased my new love that I had once only admired from afar like a creeper in a high school lunch room.

Where I came from, the FJ's bratty little sister
Originally I was Subaru fan and built a JDM converted Impreza Wagon out of an Outback shell and a JDM STI front clip with the intent to Rally Cross it on the weekends. It eventually became my daily driver but its size didn't work well as my sign business got busier and it wasn't very good at towing things... Trying to fit large rolls of vinyl, ladders, sheets of material and large signs just wasn't possible or was a huge pain.

The search for an FJ began and 2 years later I finally found one a few states away while visiting family in California. It was a great price and in amazing shape so I picked her up, tossed my plain ticket in the trash and set out on my first road trip back home to the rainy state of Washington.

Its first trip into the great outdoors driving the mountain roads in the Twisp/Winthrop area

The FJ on the job photo bombing this vehicle wrap I had just finished for Brody Goble Motorsports

The Build begins!

Toytec 3" Boss Ultimate Lift w/upper control arms and BMC

BMC

Wheels and Tires
Wheels and tires will be installed this Friday along with an alignment. The tires will be Toyo Open Country RT 295/75/17 (RT is a mix of a AT and a MT) Get asked often so figured I would add that bit. The tires will be mounted to a set of Racelines that are 17x9 with a 12mm offset. Photos to come this friday!!! I choose the RT because admittedly she will be on pavement more than dirt but I wanted a tire that was still plenty capable off road and in mud.

Rear signs onsite installation work space and tool storage / overland tools and camping supplies storage and drawer system

The rear storage system is still in its early design faze but here is the current work in progress design

Roof and Half wrap concept

Found a vehicle outline and decided to start illustrating out the possible concept for the half wrap for the FJ using 3m satin black.

Updated concept illustration with wheels, Demello flat front bumper and Baja Flat Utility Rack.

See less See more
#11 ·
That is actually the image that inspired my design! At my work the guys have dubbed it the butt wrap lol

I will be doing the roof and butt wrap when the Baja rack shows up so some time in mid June.

Looking good! That's a clean BMC too.
Thank you! A friend helped me with the cut and the welding. When he was done I told him the exact same thing plus the word "DAMN!" at the beginning lol

#13 ·
The AP rock sliders showed up this morning! I know what I will be doing this weekend lol
Obviously need to prep and paint these before putting them on but I think I will also clean up and possibly give the frame a quick coat of paint too if needed. The threads for the bolt holes are pretty rusted so will need to tap those out at the same time.

#15 ·
After a bit of driving I noticed some leakage of grease from the inner CV boot. I removed the old retainer ring and replaced it with a new one and haven't had any more leak out.

I did notice that the outer CV boot is rubbing on its self even with the diff drop so tonight I'm going to lower the rig down .5" from 3" to 2.5 in hopes that it will change the angle enough to stop the rubbing. I would rather my CV boots last a bit longer than have the rig sit level.

#16 · (Edited)
I lowered the front end of the Toyco Boss Ultimate 3" lift down to 2.5" and was able to do it with the wheels still on the car and with out lifting off the ground.

1) Disconnected the sway bar end links and swung it up towards the upper control arm. Then used some string to tie it up in place so it wouldn't drop back down.

2) I made marks on the collars so I would know how many rotations I made.

3) I turned the wheels fully to the side I was going to work on. This gave me plenty of room to work.

4) Using the smaller spanner I held the lower collar in place and used the larger spanner to turn the collar directly under the spring.

5) 1 full rotation of the larger collar equated to approx .25"

6) I did to full rotations to reach my desired .5" drop.

7) repeated steps 3-6 on the other side and then reconnected the sway bars.

8) Did a measurement to the top of the fender flare to ensure they dropped by the same amount.

9) Took her for a short drive around the block to allow the suspension to settle and to listen and feel for the boots and if they were still rubbing.

10) Parked the car back in the shop and did a 2nd measurement. I also went the extra step of using a level to make sure the two sides were in perfect balance.

After inspection the outer CV boots now have a bit of light showing between the ribs and are no longer in constant contact with one another. And the mild sound they made and slight vibration I was feeling is now gone and the rig drives great. Will be bringing it back to the tire shop in the next day or two to have a new alignment performed.

With the combination of the diff drop and lowering it back down to 2.5" of lift the angles of the CV are far less aggressive and should cause far less stress on them. I aim for reliability over looks. If I decide to some day go back up to 3" I will perform a CV boot mod by moving the small end of the outer CV boot past the flare in the axle and then tighten it back down in place stretching the length of the CV boot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.