Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

From the dark side to the light makeover...

4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Sanderhawk 
#1 ·
In the process of creating new identity for 07 FJ. Currently all black, with anthracite grey business graphics on sides. Helo rims, 32" KO 2's, front warn bumper/winch, back L.O.D. bumper with L.O.D. accessories (rack/jerry can brackets/etc.), 2" rock rails, Icon Stage 2 suspension, AFE intake system, etc.
After several years the black paint is losing it's glory a bit. a few chips here and there, a bit of weathering on the rubber gaskets/sealers around windows, hood, etc.
Currently completely stripped of all molding, rubber, grill, bumpers, lights, etc. and prepped for complete wrap. Rhino lined roof/grill/hood insert/side view mirrors/subwoofer will compliment the satin white wrap. The entire body will be satin white with the exception of the hood, windshield pillars, cowl, etc. FJ cruiser tire treads at angles up sides with big red TRD logo oriented into design. Helo rims will get solid satin black powder coating and warn winch will get rope vs cable replacement, new aluminum red fairlead, etc.
Will post pics when completed. May be a couple of weeks...re-installing all of the molding, grill, lights, bumpers, and dozens of VARIOUS SIZE PLASTIC CLIPS (really? Why would Toyota use so many different style clips???!!!) is going to be time intensive.
Picture was a few weeks ago before starting project.
Ron-California (Not really your typical Californian...NRA member/don't hug trees/want to make American Great Again...)

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
So here are a couple of teaser pics of the process. Opted to Raptor line instead of rhino line. This way much more of the roof returns, top jams, front and rear plastic valance trim pieces/etc. can be done. Very time intensive to do it right...hours of prep and masking but the finished product is pretty stout. If anyone is thinking about taking on this task keep in mind the time and resources involved would be a wash to have a Rhino or LineX dealer do it for you, however you can probably get in more of the nooks/crannies and other areas the dealers don't want to touch. And you can control the prep, making sure it is done correctly. Besides the roof I Raptor lined the side view mirrors, grill, hood insert, rear subwoofer, and a few other misc. parts. Lots of good YouTube resources available for the product.
Hood is wrapped (satin black), one side wrapped (satin white), now moving forward to complete base wrap and then add the graphics. We have found that using high end vinyl graphics over vinyl has a longer life than printed. Printed has it's advantages (gradient fills/photo replication/crazy color combos/etc.), however printed vinyl has a tendency to brown around edges over time and difficult to line up panels precisely.
Many of the powder coating elements nearing completion, many more being sent in for production, including rims.
Rear fixed windows to be removed along with windshield. Driver side rear quarter panel wrap will be removed and redone when fixed window removed. Just a better all around final product when removing windows and as much trim/molding as possible.
Expect to post more pics as the process continues...

Attachments

#5 ·
Raptor lined grill, hood insert, rear view mirrors and winch. The winch was a fun project and will have an aggressive new look snugged into the freshly powder coated warn bumper. 10 year old warn winch completely taken apart and gone through, raptor liner on outside housing, new nylon rope, etc. Will mate up with a red aluminum fairlead with warn stopper/etc.
The grill has a new T-Rex, ZROADZ insert.
Hopefully we will be re-installing these parts in the next couple of weeks as we begin the reassembly process.

Attachments

#7 ·
DONE! With the exception of a few minor tweaks & additions the FJ is now complete. Wrap came out great and all the raptor liner additions and new powder coating give the final project a bullet proof look.
Very pleased with final result. Future may bring 35's with wheel well mod for clearance.
Many hours in prep, trim and accessory removal, replacement of trim, rubber, molding, clips, clips and more clips, but very pleased with final result.

Attachments

#12 ·
ATTENTION TO DETAILS
Here is the original mockup rendering done on computer. As you can see the final result was pretty close to perfect.
For anyone who is thinking about a comprehensive project like this a few hints. First, don't rush it. Once you start you will find several sub-projects that crop up. You will need to have another vehicle to drive for an extended period of time. In my case I flew to Idaho, picked up a clean, modded, dual fueler 2016 Duramax and drove it back to Cali (actually I had been looking for a Duramax for the last few months for hauling 5th wheel/etc).
You will need body/molding/trim clips & attachments. Order through Toyota parts online or ebay has some kits that contain some replacements. Get replacement rubber weather stripping on windows, around hood,
etc. I removed most of my glass and opted to replace windshield so figure on getting another windshield top molding replacement. Oh yeah, get an replacement antenna rubber grommet. It will certainly be destroyed when you start disassembly.
If your rack or other powder coated accessories are in good shape you can revive them with a product I discovered called "Bike Rite Moto Black". However find a good quality powder coating biz and redo any questionable parts. I powder coated much of my parts, including my 17" helo rims.
Be patient and do it right. Pay attention to details. Elbow grease and sweat will be your FJ's best friend.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.