Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

NSSE build

8K views 31 replies 9 participants last post by  Ross the rock crawler 
#1 ·
Figured after almost 2 years of modding my baby, I am writing a build page. A bit of history, I drove a 2000 4Runner 2wd for 11 years. I bought it used in '05 with 45xxx miles on it. I used and abused it for another 220xxx miles, I fell in love with the FJC the first time I saw one. I got lucky and my wife noticed this one on our local Toyota dealership lot. I had been looking for a yellow or Voodoo blue but when I saw the Army green, that was it. I knew from the moment I bought her that I wanted to fix her up. It didn't take long and I did my first mod,
1. Rough Country 2.0 3" suspension lift

I had done "some" research and thought I had made a good decision. It took another month or so for mod number 2
2. BFG KO2 285/70/17

Ok, I just knew I was ready to go do some offroading. So, I went to a local off-road park (by myself) and promtly sunk her. I learned my lesson by the replacement of:
2a. Battery
2b. Alternator
2c. Starter
2d. O2 sensor

I was lucky to be able to fix it somewhat reasonably. (Extended warranty) and 3 days of power washing the engine compartment and under carriage. After that, being new to offroading, I got a bit spooked about doing anything else to her. I did some more research and bidded my time till my next mods
3. Snorkel (yup lesson learned)
4. HID headlights

She was starting to come around and, when the wife wasn't looking, the next mod
5. Brush guard and tail light guards

Yes, I know that the tail light guards are just for show, but, hey I liked it. What should have taken about an hour or so to install the brush guard took almost 4 because it was such a tight fit (thanks Amazon). Did some cost comparison and looking all over and finally found my next mod
6. 52" light bar w/ FJ mounts

My mistake was trying to run the wiring myself. I dinged up the driver's A pillar and then shorted the wiring. Frustrated and my head hung low, I drove it to the dealership and talked to my favorite mechanic. He fixed my screw up and I had him put in a USB double port while he was in there. I left it at that for a while and searched for the rims I wanted. Again, was looking at Amazon and found my next mod, much to my wife's chagrin,
7. Nerf bars

This brings me to a question, should I have waited and spent the extra on rock rails? I'm not sure if I made the right decision on those but they look good. I tried my hand at running wiring again and it worked perfectly:
8. Kenwood 2m amateur radio

I got frustrated at all the different wheels out there so I finally decided to get them from the dealership
9. TRD black wheels
10. Correct spare size (new BFG KO2)
11. Silver disk for spare painted black (thanks to a forum member)

I had already gotten a box put in the back for recovery and repair items but started looking at high lift jacks. Found one and a mount for the stock roof rack.
12. High lift jack and mounts

Of course always digging thru the forums and have decided on my next mods. I ordered the parts and will install them when they come in.
13. Pro-comp 3" lift kit (replacing other lift)
14. Moog UCA's
15. Gibson cat back exhaust

I hope I am on the right track, let me know

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

See less See more
#8 ·
The matching roof really looks good in this green.

#15 · (Edited)
Thanks to Nestahedition for building the perfect HID projector headlights with RGB halos. Also replaced front turn signals too

Parts to build the hid projector retrofit;

- New aftermarket headlight housings

- Morimoto D2S 4.0 hid projectors*

- 35W ballast and D2S 4500 XB35 hid bulbs

- Panamera shrouds with Amber/White switchback led/halo ring

- RGB halos/LED rings with RF controller ***

- MotoControl relay/harness for low/high beam operations.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.