Project Convince Spouse This Was a Good Purchase - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Member Build Ups Section for members to post their FJ buildups.

32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Project Convince Spouse This Was a Good Purchase

Hello Everybody!

Welcome to my build log. I have no clue what I'm doing, but with the help of the dreaded "search" bar, I've been able to navigate through some reviews and installs. Unfortunately, this won't be a ground up build as this truck was purchased mostly done up by PO. However, I find that there are little things here and there that can be improved. My goal is to build a truck that can take me to some of the most breath taking drives and scenery inaccessible by regular car around America.

IMG_5085 by lorenze torres, on Flickr
Before I had the FJ, I owned a 2nd gen 4Runner. Not too long after purchasing it, the truck started to have overheating issues, and had difficulty staying on. Good news was, I had a buyer who wanted to take it off my hands as is. Through this truck, I got a taste of off-roading and was hooked.

IMG_5563 by lorenze torres, on Flickr
After having a serious financial discussion, my GF gave me the green light to replace it with a more modern vehicle that would serve as our daily driver, grocery getter, family and adventure mobile.

We casually found this on craigslist for a screaming good deal. It was previously owned by a CEO of a small tech engineering firm here in California. This truck was housed in Utah for when he would go on his fly fishing excursions, and he'd drive it to California when he needed to check into the office. He was in the middle of a International Scout restoration and wife made him let it go haha!

E681003E-BF07-431F-8009-E053936B8DE5 by lorenze torres, on Flickr
IMG_5653 by lorenze torres, on Flickr
The week after getting the truck we headed to Tahoe to hit some trails and Hollister the following week. I didn't like the FJ at first, but it has grown on me...Actually the both of us. My GF and I often find ourselves getting into arguments on who's turn it is to drive it.

Exteriors:
Bushwacker Style Fender
Warn Rock Crawler Front Bumper
Warn Rear Bumper
Dee Zee Ladder
Warn Winch
Warn Driving/ Spot Lights
Random ATV Basket on Roof Rack
Hi-Lift Jack + Mounts
Blacked out trim pieces
Black vinyl on hood
OEM Running Boards
OEM Roof Rack

Interior:
Husky Front Floor Mats
Mooneyes Universal Rear Floor Mats
Mooneyes Universal Shifter

Suspension:
Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs Front and Back
(Can someone help identify how high of lift I have?)
Metal Tech Lower Links
Lower Link Skid Plates
IDFJ, Winterpeg, Hannibal and 9 others like this.

Last edited by LorenzeTorres; 11-13-2018 at 12:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 06:16 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Project Convince Spouse This Was a Good Purchase

Great looking FJ! Have fun with your mods.

2007 Black Cherry AT
A-Trac | TRD Cat-Back | OEM Sliders
Mods
Bilstein 6112/5160 | Wheeler's T12 Rear Springs | ProComp A/T Sport 285/70R17 | ProComp Series 41 Wheels | Ricochet Skid | RCI LCA Skids | Diode Dynamics SS6 Wide/LED Mirror/Interior Lights | IPF 968 Lights | ARB CMKA12 Compressor | Uniden Pro510XL | Bandi | 4'/2' Firesticks | Orangeboxx/Springtail Molle Racks | Iconic/Apex Overland Recovery Points | Rad Rubber

Calamity Jane is my Co-Pilot and Herbie is along for the ride!

post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 06:42 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)

I like the look of that. Can't tell you the lift height. I need to black out my trim pieces.

2014 Quicksand
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
CRFjockey previously said: View Post
Great looking FJ! Have fun with your mods.
Thanks for the kind words!

The mods I have in mind are only for maintenance/ function. Fortunately and unfortunately, there's not too many more I want to add. Truck is super solid.
CRFjockey likes this.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Overboost44 previously said: View Post
I like the look of that. Can't tell you the lift height. I need to black out my trim pieces.
Thank you very much! Me neither, I guess I can cross reference the part numbers on the spring and shocks. I shall update you as soon I decide to not be lazy.

I didn't notice at first, thanks to the PO my truck is a bit more stealthy.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 03:20 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Quoted: 1962 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

If you post close-ups of your suspension we can probably help you figure out what youíve got. Also I was wondering if you have skid plates - didnít see them listed on your aftermarket equipment? If you are planning to go offroad much, armor is a great investment Also your side steps can cause dents in the body if they hit rocks so recommend you look at actual rock sliders. Thereís a sweet set of sliders and skid plates for sale, local pickup in CA....thread just showed up here yesterday. Your rig looks great, and very glad you BOTH enjoy it!
SilvFx likes this.

Member of the Month November 2016

TLCA# 25170
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 01:33 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Garage

HAAAAA!!!!, That made me laugh, "My GF and I often find ourselves getting into arguments on who's turn it is to drive it."
My wife and I fought over who got drive our 2010 FJ after we bought it and the argumant ended with us buying a second one. 2013 FJ Magma. I'll keep an eye on your thread to see how your argument turns out.
CRFjockey likes this.

"Mean Green" '10 Army green 4x4 AT ATRAC/rear locker. Demello 3 hoop w\BD sqd, Smittybilt M1 Gen2, PURE FJ sliders, EXPO-1 Wash Bottle, Ironman FCP-C's front, Boss 2.5 w/ TOYTEC 2.0 HD rear, SPC DOM LCA. 16" BF 285 KO2 E's on Method NV's.

"Angry Orange" '13 Magma 4x4 AT ATRAC/rear locker, CRAWL. Demello 3 hoop Evil Eye w\BD sqd, Smittybilt M1 Gen2, AP sliders, EXPO-1 Wash Bottle, Ironman FCP-B front, Boss 2.5 w/ TOYTEC 2.0 HD rear. SPC DOM LCA's, 17" BF 285 KO2 E's on Method Holes.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 03:25 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2369 Post(s)
Garage

Lift height is probably 2.5 - 3". Any higher and you start to run into issues with ride comfort and IFS parts.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 03:45 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Garage

"Project Convince Spouse This Was a Good Purchase"

The best way to do this is to bring her to FJ Summit in Ouray, Colorado, on July 17-21 of 2019.

This event sells out in seconds so you need to be sitting at your computer ready to register. Go ahead and create your account right now, and it would probably help if you booked your room already. Trust me on this, if you wait to book until you get into the event you may not get a room.

Next year will be my 9th year -- been leading groups at the event for 7 of those years -- and if there's ever anything you need to do in an FJ at least once, it's come to FJ Summit.
ZerosFJ and GWebb like this.

Want to see what FOUR years (updated!) of offroading in Colorado looks like? Click Here

Join the Colorado FJ Cruisers Facebook page for Colorado mod days, trail runs and other organized events! Not from Colorado, but planning a trip here? Join up, we'd be happy to suggest some offroading locations for you or even coordinate a run with the locals!

My CB Radio Install+Parts Thread

Complete Guide to Buying and Selling an FJ Cruiser

post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 09:09 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)

Nice score, that’s a nice looking FJC. Let me know if you need any tips on next steps.

2007 2 tone custom paint, Dana 60 (ARB Locked) front/12' King coilovers with remote res, Dana 70 rear (ARB locked), 40" Iroks on double beadlock hummer rims, Custom Califab rack,32" LED, Pioneer Z120BT, 2 500watt Fosgate punch, 2x 10" Fosgate P2, Wicked Cas A-pillar with Hertz speakers, Pyle 4 camera with 11" monitor, Ellis Precision Anodized knobs/ E-Brake/Fairlead, Demello Front & Rear with Arco's, Smittybuilt 10K winch SPod, TRD CAI, Viar On-board air, FlowMasters, Bushwhacker Flares, Califab kickout Sliders, Body Mount Chop,60' Hi Lift Extreme,Snorkel,
My Build https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ack-black.html

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Member Build Ups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in