OEM roof rack removal
First day of ownership, I had to pull this thing off so it would fit in my parking garage. Also, the OEM roof rack isnít very useful for its bulk. In my haste, I removed the bolts with an impact driver and managed to vibrate the internal mounting brackets loose in the process. Thought I was going to have to drop the headliner, but managed to fish them out with some ingenuity and patience. The solution was a couple of wire hooks with magnets on the ends to catch the brackets. Only took about two hours to get get them sorted out...
I drove like this for a few weeks before getting the Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform mounted.
Now that the internal brackets are loose, adding/removing hardware is a delicate processóI really should have been more careful in the first place. The stock butyl rubber patches that Rhino ships with the Backbone system are woefully inadequate to seal around the mounting holes, so after one visit to the car wash I sat and watched the water soak through. When I called RR, they seemed mystified that I would have problems.
Ended up using butyl rubber window tape and some pieces of bicycle inner tube to seal the holes (pro tip: bicycle tube is WAY too soft and wraps itself around the bolt threads creating a huge mess. Avoid). Only took me two more attempts to get everything sealed up. Only.
The rack setup with the Sunseeker awning is flat-out awesome in both sun and rain, though bashing the awning through brush takes its toll on the vinyl storage cover. Working on some kind of protector for the leading end.