The Jerk - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Member Build Ups Section for members to post their FJ buildups.

78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
The Jerk

Iconicís rear recovery points
Hang your whole rig from these. Pull a building out of a swamp. Iím pretty sure youíll break the frame before these things give out. Powder coated mine orange for visibility. You really should buy a set before he gets famous and doubles his prices.

Clears the stock muffler pretty well.

ZerosFJ, amaclach, Iconic_ and 2 others like this.

2011 Cavalry Blue 6MT | The Jerk build | Instagram
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
(Thread Starter)
The Jerk

King OEM shock kit

This whole endeavor wouldn’t have happened without @TCao ’s indispensable build thread, followed closely by @Loganbeere 's build thread. If he hadn't nudged me, I wouldn't have started this posting at all.

My stepdad and I installed both front and rears in a day...the first time. He’s a retired mechanic, I’m mostly dead weight on the end of a wrench, so between us we had about 1.5 people working on this. If we can do it, you can do it.

King’s OEM kit has gone through some revisions since TCao wrote his build thread. Notably, the front and rear reservoir brackets have changed, though they still have issues as you will see. King has also added rear shock rock guards for about $37/each.

Also added SPC UCAs—I set these to +4 caster and not only do the front wheels fit better in the wheel wells, but the steering has a nice resistance to it. I’ve always felt like the FJ’s steering was a bit squirrelly.

Seems fine?

The passenger side front reservoir bracket cleared the UCAs with a solid 1/4”. The driver’s side has maybe 1/16th. After several calls with King, their sales rep sent out a new bracket free of charge. Didn’t expect that, given what I’ve heard about King customer service, but it was a pleasant surprise. Going to install this weekend. Interestingly, I have no actual contact between the mount and the UCA, even after putting the suspension through full extension on bumpy trails. But any amount of mud is going to cause problems.

Something that I never caught is that the front brackets also have an integrated sway bar relocation. Big points for King here. Wish I had known so I didn’t end up buying a relocation kit, but hey.

One of the rear shocks shipped without any nitrogen, unfortunately. The King rep was pretty unhappy to hear that. Had it charged at a local shop for about $15. Not the kind of thing you want to find out in the middle of a build.

While the rear brackets line up with the bump stop mounts, they are bent at too steep of an angle to fit properly. A little tweaking on a bench vise and all was well. I’m not super impressed with the hose routing above the reservoirs at the rear—probably not a big deal, but the hoses are pullling pretty hard against the sharp edge of the reservoir housing. I’m working on a fix, which I’ll post soon enough.

A few other things I learned in the process:

- King shocks lifted my front end about 2”, which I figured would level the front with the rear on stock springs—wrong! The back end drooped like a German Shepherd, headlights pointing skyward. Installed a set of ICON 2” lift springs and the vehicle now has about the same amount of rake as stock, which means the frame is nearly level with a slight lift at the back end. You can see the stance in the first photo in this thread.

- We got the UCA ball joint bolts and the tie rod ends off with a ball joint puller (Autozone “rents” these for free with a deposit), but had to destroy the ball joint boots on the stock UCAs to fit the puller. Hadn’t intended on saving them anyway, but worth noting. These bolts (both UCA and tie rods) come off with an impressive bang—much like a gunshot and the whole spindle/hub assembly is suddenly free floating and it’s heavy, so I recommend hearing/eye protection and some safety wire to keep things from slamming to the ground and possibly pulling your drive shafts out of joint.

- Didn’t have to disconnect brake lines or ABS wires at the rear to install shocks or springs (but we did loosen all the mounting brackets for them so they could free float), however I also discovered that I don’t have extended travel in the rear. When I asked the vendor I bought from, they said “there’s no extended travel option for the rears” but I have come to find out that not only is there an extended travel option, it’s recommended for running tires over 33” in diameter. Seems I will be dropping the rear axle again soon...

- Coming from an old truck with blown shocks, then the off road “stock” Bilstein’s, the King setup is an absolute revelation. Off-road, everything feels about the same <10mph. At 20mph it starts to smooth out, and >30mph the entire vehicle feels like it lifts up and floats over all but the worst bumps and washboard. It's a hard sensation to describe, but the ride is both smoother and more controlled. Floaty without any vagueness. On-road, everything feels "tighter"--more precise, but with much better handling on bumps and swells. I can feel the tire tread vibrating on the asphalt through the steering wheel, but the vehicle feels more solidly planted. I can't think of anything that has a more pronounced effect on ride quality.

- The compression adjusters are worth the money, imo. Being able to tighten them down on-road minimizes brake dive, sway and squatting under acceleration. Opening them up off-road makes for a plush ride. Having 25 increments of adjustment is overkill--four would suffice, but the adjustment is easy enough.

- With 285/70-17s you WILL rub the UCA ball joint boots and rear reservoirs without wheel spacers. Not badly, but the sound of the tires rubbing on the reservoirs is unsettling. Fortunately, I caught this after only a few incidents. Which brings me to:

- FJ wheels are HUB centric, not lug centric. The more you know...
ZerosFJ and Loganbeere like this.

post #23 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 06:19 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Re: The Jerk

Quote:
umami previously said: View Post
King OEM shock kit

This whole endeavor wouldnít have happened without @TCao ís indispensable build thread.

My stepdad and I installed both front and rears in a day...the first time. Heís a retired mechanic, Iím mostly dead weight on the end of a wrench, so between us we had about 1.5 people working on this. If we can do it, you can do it.

Kingís OEM kit has gone through some revisions since TCao wrote his build thread. Notably, the front and rear reservoir brackets have changed, though they still have issues as you will see. King has also added rear shock rock guards for about $37/each.

Also added SPC UCAsóI set these to +4 caster and not only do the front wheels fit better in the wheel wells, but the steering has a nice resistance to it. Iíve always felt like the FJís steering was a bit squirrelly.

Seems fine?

The passenger side front reservoir bracket cleared the UCAs with a solid 1/4Ē. The driverís side has maybe 1/16th. After several calls with King, their sales rep sent out a new bracket free of charge. Didnít expect that, given what Iíve heard about King customer service, but it was a pleasant surprise. Going to install this weekend. Interestingly, I have no actual contact between the mount and the UCA, even after putting the suspension through full extension on bumpy trails. But any amount of mud is going to cause problems.

Something that I never caught is that the front brackets also have an integrated sway bar relocation. Big points for King here. Wish I had known so I didnít end up buying a relocation kit, but hey.

One of the rear shocks shipped without any nitrogen, unfortunately. The King rep was pretty unhappy to hear that. Had it charged at a local shop for about $15. Not the kind of thing you want to find out in the middle of a build.

While the rear brackets line up with the bump stop mounts, they are bent at too steep of an angle to fit properly. A little tweaking on a bench vise and all was well. Iím not super impressed with the hose routing above the reservoirs at the rearóprobably not a big deal, but the hoses are pullling pretty hard against the sharp edge of the reservoir housing. Iím working on a fix, which Iíll post soon enough.

A few other things I learned in the process:

- King shocks lifted my front end about 2Ē, which I figured would level the front with the rear on stock springsówrong! The back end drooped like a German Shepherd, headlights pointing skyward. Installed a set of ICON 2Ē lift springs and the vehicle now has about the same amount of rake as stock, which means the frame is nearly level with a slight lift at the back end. You can see the stance in the first photo in this thread.

- We got the UCA ball joint bolts and the tie rod ends off with a ball joint puller (Autozone ďrentsĒ these for free with a deposit), but had to destroy the ball joint boots on the stock UCAs to fit the puller. Hadnít intended on saving them anyway, but worth noting. These bolts (both UCA and tie rods) come off with an impressive bangómuch like a gunshot and the whole spindle/hub assembly is suddenly free floating and itís heavy, so I recommend hearing/eye protection and some safety wire to keep things from slamming to the ground and possibly pulling your drive shafts out of joint.

- Didnít have to disconnect brake lines or ABS wires at the rear to install shocks or springs (but we did loosen all the mounting brackets for them so they could free float), however I also discovered that I donít have extended travel in the rear. When I asked the vendor I bought from, they said ďthereís no extended travel option for the rearsĒ but I have come to find out that not only is there an extended travel option, itís recommended for running tires over 33Ē in diameter. Seems I will be dropping the rear axle again soon...

- Coming from an old truck with blown shocks, then the off road ďstockĒ Bilsteinís, the King setup is an absolute revelation. Off-road, everything feels about the same <10mph. At 20mph it starts to smooth out, and >30mph the entire vehicle feels like it lifts up and floats over all but the worst bumps and washboard. It's a hard sensation to describe, but the ride is both smoother and more controlled. Floaty without any vagueness. On-road, everything feels "tighter"--more precise, but with much better handling on bumps and swells. I can feel the tire tread vibrating on the asphalt through the steering wheel, but the vehicle feels more solidly planted. I can't think of anything that has a more pronounced effect on ride quality.

- The compression adjusters are worth the money, imo. Being able to tighten them down on-road minimizes brake dive, sway and squatting under acceleration. Opening them up off-road makes for a plush ride. Having 25 increments of adjustment is overkill--four would suffice, but the adjustment is easy enough.

- With 285/70-17s you WILL rub the UCA ball joint boots and rear reservoirs without wheel spacers. Not badly, but the sound of the tires rubbing on the reservoirs is unsettling. Fortunately, I caught this after only a few incidents. Which brings me to:

- FJ wheels are HUB centric, not lug centric. The more you know...

Nice work. I had the same rubbing on the driver side rear reservoirs. I think it has to do with the panhard bar not long enough to center the rear axle after a lift thus shifting the axle slight towards the passenger side. I had to use wheel spacers for a short period before I put on new wheels with better backspacing. An adjustable panhard bar could fix the problem as well. @jamesepoop has one so maybe he could provide some input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 Iceberg AT 4x4 | Ghost FJ Build | Instagram
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 09:43 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Garage
Supporting Member

I work in commercial insurance. keep in mind you need to advise your broker of mods to your FJ. reason being If you file a claim and the insurance co. is not aware of the changes you will only recover a little less than Blue Book. In order to have coverage for the extras you will need to pay a small surcharge. its an endorsement for the improvements.
It sucks but there it is
CabinCruiser likes this.
post #25 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 12:54 PM
トヨダ Master

Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Quoted: 3287 Post(s)
Garage

When I read the title, I was thinking:

Then I saw your Bimmer neighbor's lack of parking respect and realized it was about him.

J/K Nice Work!
amaclach likes this.

"Silence is Golden......Duct Tape is Silver"

Solitude Allows One to Reflect While Others are Reacting...

Member of the month-October 2017
post #26 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
(Thread Starter)

If you know the movie, you will catch the reference in my first post.
CabinCruiser likes this.

post #27 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 02:21 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Loganbeere previously said: View Post
the panhard bar not long enough to center the rear axle after a lift thus shifting the axle slight towards the passenger side. ....An adjustable panhard bar could fix the problem as well. @jamesepoop has one so maybe he could provide some input
If your offset is conservative and you're running huge tires, you may rub the inner wheel arch on compression (as a few members have). The area was above the rear reservoirs. Panhard may adjust it but you'll probably rub both sides if your offset is too high or tires too large. After an alignment, depending on your lift height, you can decide if a panhard is necessary due to how far off the rear is. If it rides fine and not rubbing incessantly, you'll be okay.

Just a fyi. Rear extended travel is not needed or required with 33s. You'll have to limit strap it if you're not using sway bars. Standard travel is fine and the extended is only .5", not enough to make any real difference.

For the rear resi, just cut some rubber and zip tie. My hose is the same. No issues after sandwiching some rubber there
amaclach and Loganbeere like this.

Quote:
Iconic_ previously said:
LEDLIYFJL: Live Every Day Like Its Your FJ's Last
Mad Maxxine Build - 2007 Fresco Silver Metallic
My Travels: http://www.downtownfotos.com
post #28 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage

Great looking rig man! I had a similar move from my good old manual everything, power nothing, GMC Sierra to my FJ. Initially, had my truck listed for sale but when I actually got offers, I couldn't get myself to part with it, so ended up gifting it to my father to hang onto. Picked up the FJ with 80K on it and immediately went on a month long desert trip. Now back in PA, I can hear the FJ calling to be in the desert again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0229.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	545.2 KB
ID:	1076138   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3018.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	557.7 KB
ID:	1076140  
post #29 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 03:36 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2522 Post(s)
Garage

It warms my heart to see Iconic_ Fab parts in people's mod lists. Keep it up!

Quote:
John3M previously said: View Post
I work in commercial insurance. keep in mind you need to advise your broker of mods to your FJ. reason being If you file a claim and the insurance co. is not aware of the changes you will only recover a little less than Blue Book. In order to have coverage for the extras you will need to pay a small surcharge. its an endorsement for the improvements.
It sucks but there it is
It entirely depends on the insurer. My auto insurance company refuses to give me a yea or nay on whether or not they will insure my vehicle for more. I've offered to pay them more and all they'll tell me is to just keep receipts for everything. I'll be switching providers after this summer once I pump more $$ into it, there are a few out there that do agreed upon value and specialty stuff.

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ance-mods.html
amaclach likes this.
post #30 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 03:51 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Garage
Supporting Member

Quote:
Iconic_ previously said: View Post
It warms my heart to see Iconic_ Fab parts in people's mod lists. Keep it up!

It entirely depends on the insurer. My auto insurance company refuses to give me a yea or nay on whether or not they will insure my vehicle for more. I've offered to pay them more and all they'll tell me is to just keep receipts for everything. I'll be switching providers after this summer once I pump more $$ into it, there are a few out there that do agreed upon value and specialty stuff.

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ance-mods.html

Generally when people give vague answers is because they donít have an answer. But yet they still want to give the impression that they are smart.
Keeping receipts, ok you put 20 grand on a fourteen k FJ without paying an up charge for additional equipment.....😁

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Member Build Ups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in